Board index FlightGear Support

VATSIM

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

VATSIM

Postby ultramizer » Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 am

Im not sure if im in the right forum. Can anyone help me with VATSIM? Ive used it before a year or two ago. I have Squawkbox, Squawkgear, and the voice client.It seems that FG cannot locate the Vatsim servers ( i think). Are they outdated? Is all of this outdated? Im running FG 2016 2.1 on windows vista. any help is appreciated.
ultramizer

Re: VATSIM

Postby SVW » Fri May 26, 2017 4:11 pm

I've switched to 2017.2.1 today and it still works fine. Check which servers are currently online and edit the IP adresses in the file HOSTS.TXT (located in sb199k-->ETC). Use a text editor like https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Reply in case you're stuck.
Cheers
svw
SVW

Postby ultramizer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Ok, Im stuck. I have Squawkgear, Squawkbox, and my AVG voice agent. Everything seems to be connecting with each other. Im logged into the network, because FG says i am. However, Im not showing up on the Vatsim map, nor is there any nearby planes or controllers. I think i have a wrong IP address somewhere. In the HOSTS .TXT what do i put for " THIS PC"? And in SB747, What do i use as " BROKER HOST"? And finally, in the AVG voice client, what do i use for " AUTHENTICATION SERVER? Any help is greatly appreciated.
ultramizer

Postby eadsJose » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:22 am

Hello.
In the HOSTS.TXT file, the only thing that you need to change is the domain from "VATSIM USA-W:usa-w.vatsim.nl:XXXX" to "VATSIM USA-W:usa-w.vatsim.net:XXXX" placed just above "THIS_PC" (The older domain .nl isn't working) and set "VATSIM USA-W" as a host name in SB747 setup.
For "Broker Host", set "localhost".
In the AVG, set as Autentication Server: "USA-W:USA-W.vatsim.net"
I'm using this config and it works.
eadsJose

Callsign: YV-KLJ / AIB2358

Postby ultramizer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:37 am

thank you. will try and see if it works
ultramizer

Postby ultramizer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 am

It did not work. In HOSTS, i dont even have VATSIM USA-W:usa-vatsim.nl to change. I have some from Europe, Canada, and several from USA, all followed by numbers i assume to be IP addresses. All the numbers end with 6809. So i created a " VATSIM USA-w.vatsim.net:6809. Set SB747 to USA-W. SB747 says it cannot connect. I googled some active vatsim servers. I added them in HOSTS and they seem to getting me close. SB747 says im connected. I get metar reports from somewhere in Europe. If i type " hello " in sb747, it shows up in green on FG. Again, thanks for any help
ultramizer

Postby it0uchpods » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:18 am

Hi
Have you tried the tutorial here?
http://thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1032

Wecs and I have both gotten it working.

Kind Regards,
Josh
it0uchpods/WTF411

FlightGear Aircraft Developer
Lead Programmer at the it0uchpods Design Group
Download High Quality Aircraft from it0uchpods Hangar
it0uchpods

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
IRC name: it0uchpods
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby ultramizer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:51 am

yes. thats how i got as far as i have.SB747 says im online. i get the user agreement, the rules about using your name, and all of that. My plane shows up in the " nearby planes ", but im the only one. never any nearby controllers, and im not showing up on the vatsim map. ugghh..I know its something simple. it worked before i upgraded to FG2016.2.1.
ultramizer

Postby eadsJose » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Did you change the value "THIS_PC"? By default is 127.0.0.1 = IP_OF_SQUAWKGEAR = localhost.
Assuming that you checked all the steps of the tutorial (specially the FlightGear output settings):
1. Run all programs as administrator (Windows) in this order: Squawkgear > SB747 > FlightGear
2. Load the flight plan in SB747. When you're ready, go online
3. Wait 5 minutes
4. Go to https://vatmap.jsound.org and type your callsign in the search box
eadsJose

Callsign: YV-KLJ / AIB2358

Return to Support