Board index FlightGear Support

Constant Crash

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Constant Crash

Postby pyrettablaze » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Hey all,

Windows 10. Intel i5 processor, GTX 1070ti GPU and 8 GB of RAM.

I have FlightGear 2017.1.2

Shortly after takeoff, the game crashes. I have reinstalled, deleted every setting and clean installed, and I can't figure out what's going on. It doesn't matter the airport.

TerraSync is also on.

Thanks!
K
pyrettablaze

Re: Constant Crash

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:48 pm

I have had the same issue over the weekend, I run a Toshiba satelite L-50B with a i5, AMD Radeon R7-M260 2Gb GPU, 6Gb RAM. 1Tb harddrive I had a look in the advanced section of the performance tab within the control panel and found that the virtual memory ( Pagefile) was system managed and was woefully low 1028Mb, so (because I have the free disc space) I upped the minimum amout to 5140Mb and the maximum to 10280Mb. (Remember to go up by the power of 1028Mb otherwise the system will just round down to the nearest correct amount) This has now helped and FG doesn't crash now and my FPS rate has increased from 9 / 12 FPS to 18 / 25 FPS. Also you say when you uninstalled you removed everything, Did you? There is a lot of files the are hidden, and these remain. These lie within the flightgear.org folder within the appdata file, also within the flightgear file within your documents folder. If I have problems I ALWAYS completely destroy these folders so when I reinstall I get a COMPLETE fresh copy of ALL files. Also it's always worth re downloading again rather than using the one that you might have in your downloads folder. I have also found that I have had less problems, when installing if I allow the PC to be "idle" and as the installer says "turn off any antivirus software" follow this advise BUT turn off any wifi or unplug your network cable when doing this as this will safeguard you against any virues coming off the net whilst you are doing the install. Do you have about 85Gb of spare disc space? If so use Terramaster 1.4 and download the whole world in scenery and direct FG to read from that folder, then no need for terrasync, That how I load my scenery during flight, It's instant and if your connection is slow or the terrasync connection is slow, it eliminates slow tile loading Try the above and see if it helps
Last edited by bugman on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm

what craft are you flying?
does it still crash if you use the UFO?
what, exactly do you mean by "crash"?
is this while you may be in multi-player?
flightgear is a simulator, not a game ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pyrettablaze » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 pm

I have about 2% of my 1TB drive used. Haven't used the UFO. Exits to desktop with crash report message. And it doesn't matter whether or not I'm in MP
pyrettablaze

Postby wlbragg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:34 pm

We still need more data, what aircraft were you trying to load when this happened? Specifics really help to debug the problems.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby pyrettablaze » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:10 am

Okay. So I used the UFO on the default map and flew extensively with no issues. Uninstalled and reinstalled again because now TerraSync isn't downloading the scenery for the area, such as KSEA (Sea-Tac). It's just water.
pyrettablaze

Return to Support