Board index FlightGear Support

Instructor Station

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Instructor Station

Postby carlosrenatopc » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi,

I use to fligh X-Plane and it has it own Instructor Station Aplication, I just plug a second monitor and configure the IOS to run on it.

In Flight Gear we do not have Instructor Station aplication, I write my own aplication to RUN the Instructor Station on my ANDROID TABLET, I did not find an protocol specific for INSTRUCTOR STATION.

I use the TELNET connection to be able to comunicate with Flight Gear,

What are the direction that FlightGear is moving for enable an Instructor Station, should we use an external device, as a TABLE par example as an Instructor Station?

Carlos Renato
carlosrenatopc

Re: Instructor Station

Postby Torsten » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi Carlos,

I suggest to have a look at Phi - a HTML5 based, web app capable UI for FlightGear.
If you have started with the internal web server enabled (--httpd=8080) you can accesss it at http://your-fg-ip-address:8080/ . Runs on most modern web browsers and also as a fullscreen web app on IOS and Android.

It has probably not yet all functions a commercial instructor station provides but it has the potential to implement almost every feature you can think of.
(Take these statements with a grain of salt. Being the creator of Phi, I am severely biased :-)

Regards
Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:05 am

You may want to make your own PropertyList protocol. Look at the FlightGearMap app for example.

We're waiting to see your instructor station app!
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:52 pm

If not else, you could most probably open it in a web browser on your iOS or Android device. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Like others mentioned previously, Phi is your best bet and option currently - if you need additional functionality, it is also most likely to be the most straightforward mechanism to extend accordingly

There's a collection of related topics archived at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Instructor_Station
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby carlosrenatopc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 am

Hi Guys,

I am sorry for the delay on your posts, I've put the newest version today on Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... FLIGHTGEAR

There are a lot of things to do, but most of the problens are related to lack of information on the variables, for example:

1)
If I want to change the CLOUD BASE AND THICKNESS, I have to put the Weather on "MANUAL MODE" on PC, I did not find wich variable I should change to get control over CLOUD. Right now on my aplication I try to change the variables, but it returns to previus values.
I had set "/sim/gui/dialogs/metar/mode/manual-weather" to "1" and I did not work.

2)
If I want to change the visibility, I found that I have to change
"/environment/config/presets/visibility-m-override" to "1" and
"/environment/config/presets/visibility-m"

I was working on "/environment/visibility-m" and "/environment/ground-visibility-m"

I will develop a Graphic Interface for Flight Reposition , but for now I am trying to change the basic itens.
carlosrenatopc

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:07 am

If I want to change the CLOUD BASE AND THICKNESS, I have to put the Weather on "MANUAL MODE" on PC, I did not find wich variable I should change to get control over CLOUD

There's a number of ways to do that, but arguably the most simple is to enter a METAR string that describes the clouds you want to have and let the weather system take care of the rest.

Only if you need *very* fine control it would be useful to switch the weather simulation off and set all parameters by hand.
Thorsten

Postby carlosrenatopc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:02 am

Hi Thorsten,

I did change the Cloud Control and it works right now, I used you TIP, thank you.

I do not see Flightgear as a game, from my point of view, it can be a tool for pilot training,

I have worked with pilot training for many years, so from this point of view, I’m trying to develop these capabilities on Flight Gear Instructor APP:

Cloud control OK
Visibility control OK
Time of day OK
Temperature KO
Outside Pressure KO
Reposition In Ground (OK Airports)
Reposition In Air ( OK Over Airports)
MAP KO

I will add functionalities from the inputs that I receive.

Regards,

Carlos
carlosrenatopc

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:10 am

Well, it isn't a game.

I've seen Torsten (note the lack of the 'h', we're two different people) do a drag'n'drop of the airplane symbol from the Phi moving map which leads to a reposition of the plane in-sim to the location where you dropped it - I'm guessing you may find this useful as well.
Thorsten

Return to Support