Board index FlightGear Support

Problem setting up user data - error

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Problem setting up user data - error

Postby Bigwolf » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:28 am

Hello guys,

I have problem to start FG on my account because of error message "Unable to create the user-data storage folder at: 'C:/Users/<User name>/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org' "
Screenshot:

As you can see there is such a special character probably because of wrong encoding, my account is called "Miloš".
And that is probably making a problem because when I start fgfs.exe as "Run as administrator" it creates the folder with that weird character but it has no privilages to access it and the error message changes to: "Can't write to user-data storage folder, check file permissions and FG_HOME. User-data at:<path> "

I have tried to run it by fgrun.exe but I can not change anything about this there.
Also I have changed security permissions for this folder and newly created folder and also all subfolders for full control.
When I have switched to another account without some special characters (just ASCII) the FG was running perfectly (and it was just user account, my account is administrator).

With fgrun.exe it is starting with this command lines:
Code: Select all
D:\Hry\FlightGear 2016.3.1\bin\fgfs.exe
  --fg-root=D:\Hry\FlightGear 2016.3.1\data
  --fg-scenery=C:\Users\Milo\Documents\FlightGear\Custom Scenery;D:\Hry\FlightGear 2016.3.1\data\Scenery;C:\Users\Milo\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync
  --terrasync-dir=C:\Users\Milo\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync
  --fg-aircraft=C:\Users\Milo\Documents\FlightGear\Aircraft
  --airport=SDVL
  --runway=35
  --aircraft=c172p
  --disable-random-objects
  --disable-ai-models
  --disable-ai-traffic
  --disable-real-weather-fetch
  --geometry=1024x768
  --disable-terrasync

As you can see there is missing character "š" in paths because of not supporting by command prompt (actualy something is there but it is not showing and also that "not showing" character was making me troubles to post this post because of some SQL error so I deleted it) but I am using "s" instead of "š" when I work with command prompt and everything worked fine, since now. When I rewrite this lines and paths with "/Milos/" instead of "/Milo/" it is still showing that error message.

My specifications:
Windows 8.1 pro, 64-bit
FlightGear 2016.3.1 - downloaded today from your website

So can you guys help me please somehow? I am used to work on my account with all developing tools optimized for me here so switching to new account would be terrible.
Also this is first time when I have tried FG so I don't know if older versions would work for me.

The older topic with the same problem wasn't helpful: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25471
Also maybe to change the FG_HOME would help? But I am new to FG so I don't know how and http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME doesn't recommend it.
Last edited by Bigwolf on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigwolf

Re: Problem setting up user data - error

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:49 pm

there has been a little work done or considered to handle these non-ascii characters... apparently it is not all completed or available yet... the best suggestion is to use a directory without those special (UTF-8?) characters for now... older version s will definitely not work as they do not have anything to even start handling these characters...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Bigwolf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for answer, but can I ask you how to change the directory? I suggest that I need to change the directory FG_HOME but in the fgrun.exe in advanced options there is possible to change only FG_ROOT and FG_SCENERY.
Bigwolf

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

i don't use FGRun any more so i don't know/remember how it would be done... i use the new built-in --launcher... it is pretty easily set up in there... converting over from FGRun is fairly straight forward, too...

but, FWIW, handling UTF-8 characters should be available in 2016.4.1 when it comes out... if you are able, you might test the (possibly unstable) nightly build of 2016.4.0 and see if the problem is fixed for you... if it is not, we need to let the devs know on the dev mailing list so they can look at it closer...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support