Board index FlightGear Support

Whatever happened to random radio chatter?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Whatever happened to radom radio chatter??

Postby blcjr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Don't these options require others to be flying in your area of operation? I do all my flying in Alaska. How realistic is it for me to try to take on the learning curve for any of these unless there are others doing virtual flying in the area?
blcjr

Postby SVW » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:55 pm

OK,
in that case you'll be flying rather lonesome. You could record appropriate calls like "Ancorage Traffic, N345RT turning base rw xy" etc. and activate them with tools like SimVoiceChecklist. Also very handy for voice checklists. If you have a good sounding female at hand let her speak the calls, that's always nice to listen to. Radio-like sound distortion can easily be done by sound editors like audacity. But I'd always recommend Vatsim multiplayer cause there are always hundreds of guys (and yes: chicks!) flying around.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3861135
http://www.audacityteam.org/
http://vattastic.com/
SVW

Postby PINTO » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Even in AK, you'd still be communicating with the enroute facilities (especially in the south) as well as UNICOM.

And VATSIM and FG don't play nice. You can only fly as a 747.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: 2016.3.0

Postby SVW » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:09 pm

I fly C172, A320, B738 and B777 on Vatsim. Controllers always see my airframe on the filed flightplan. Nobody ever thought I'd fly a 747.
Example flight:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30142
SVW

Postby PINTO » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Fantastic.

But it still broadcasts you as a 747 on the VATSIM network. Unless you have some client other than the normal FG one.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: 2016.3.0

Postby SVW » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:37 pm

True. But if anyone wonders about your airframe (what really never ever happend to me), just say it's a bug. Every controller/pilot will be fine with that. You'll shortly see how a friend and I do Vatsim flights using FG on two computers shared-cockpit / Dual Control (we both control ONE airplane), video to follow in a couple of days.
SVW

Postby blcjr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:27 pm

The digression is interesting, but I wonder if it is possible to get back on track?

I was under the impression that it was possible, based on some exchanges earlier, to get back the random chatter that FG once had. I followed the link above and patched back in the ATC checkbox for "Chatter." But now what? I last asked about audio files. What did FG use before, and are those available somewhere?

Edit: Is this a measure of what's going on in the FG multiplayer world right now?

http://mpserver15.flightgear.org/mpserverstatus/

If I read it correctly, there are five servers active. Two have no flyers (which is what I take "clients") to mean. Two have a single flyer each. One has 13. So right now, around the world, there are just 13 people engaged in FG multiplayer?

I would think that 15 or so people might also active random chatter if given the option. Why was it taken out?
blcjr

Postby Hooray » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 pm

the feature has zero to do with AI/MP functionality - it's really just a Nasal script that plays random audio files that happen to contain "ATC chatter".
That is why you need to restore both, the script as well as the corresponding audio files (trivial to do via git)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby blcjr » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:14 am

Hooray wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 pm:the feature has zero to do with AI/MP functionality - it's really just a Nasal script that plays random audio files that happen to contain "ATC chatter".
That is why you need to restore both, the script as well as the corresponding audio files (trivial to do via git)
I know it has zero to do with AI/MP. It was others taking the thread in that direction.

Maybe trivial to do with git for you, but not for someone who doesn't know what you are talking about. I've been using FG about a month know. Installed 2016.2.1 from a Windows .exe file, and then the same with 2016.3.1. Have no experience with git, and wouldn't know where to start (unless someone told me where).

OTOH, if it is that trivial, maybe you could post the steps for someone who doesn't know git to follow?
blcjr

Postby stuart » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi All,

Torsten has just announced on the -devel list that he's just revived the ATC chatter feature:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mailman/flightgear-devel/thread/CAMcJc7rGfanGVR_qsZSOjjS5E7hhrW-kxXGmF4vrMUp4du2ijg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg35388063

THBAPSA.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:39 am

:applause:
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:51 am

besides, as far I a know, the fgmembers repository restored the whole thing already a few months ago i response to a similar/identical thread we had back then
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby blcjr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:50 am

stuart wrote in Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:13 pm:Torsten has just announced on the -devel list that he's just revived the ATC chatter

Does it take a while for it to actually become available? Two of the three links on that page produce 404 errors. The other seems to show the files as "commit[ed]" but I don't see a way to actually download them via that link.
Last edited by Johan G on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire preceding post
blcjr

Postby blcjr » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:14 am

I got the files at the posted link. I just had to learn about using an SVN client.

Edit:

Running into a problem with installation. The README says:

Code: Select all
== Usage ==
add the following parameter to the startup of fgfs:
--config={FullPathToTheAddonsFolder}/ATCChatter/config.xml --prop:string:/addons/ATCChatter/path={FullPathToTheAddonsFolder}/ATCChatter --fg-aircraft={FullPathToTheAddonsFolder}

Remember to replace {FullPathToTheAddonsFolder} with the full path name to your FlightGear/addons folder

I think I am following the directions with this:

Code: Select all
--config=C:\users\blcjr\Documents\FlightGear\addons\ATCChatter\config.xml --prop:string:\addons\ATCChatter\path=C:\users\blcjr\Documents\FlightGear\addons\ATCChatter --fg-aircraft=C:\users\blcjr\Documents\FlightGear\addons

But FG refuses to start with a window popping up reading:

The configuration in the main text field has an invalid syntax:
invalid escape sequence in option line:\u

Obviously, I'm working with Windows here (v. 10), and FG cannot parse the backslashes correctly. But as I said, I think I'm following the README correctly. What next?
blcjr

Postby AndersG » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Don't use \ in the property path (--prop:\addons\ATCChatter\path=...), use /.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

PreviousNext

Return to Support