Board index FlightGear Support

A few Flightgear 2016.1.1 problems

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

A few Flightgear 2016.1.1 problems

Postby Flax069 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Flightgear 2016.1.1 on two computers, Windows Vista & 10.

1. Every time at Flightgear Launcher start, an error window pops up (Windows 10):

"Create download folder?
The download folder "C:/users/Sören/Documents/Flightgear" does not exist, create it now? Click Change location to choose another folder to store downloaded files".

The "missing" folder DO exist & If I click Yes or Cancel, Flightgear Launcher starts fine. Possible cause: Non english characters in user path. I´ve had similar problems with other versions of FG in the past on this computer.

EDIT: This problem went away by itself for some strange reason. It showed up the first >10 times I started FG but is gone now.

2. Flightgear Launcher (Windows Vista & 10):
Every time, the selected "Time of day" setting will end up as a selected option in Environment settings/Ground textures drop down menu (Example: Noon/Winter/Summer). The scenery will therefore load with no textures & I have to select Winter or Summer in the menu & Reload.

3. Flightgear Launcher: Location tab: with "On final approach at distance: 10nm" checked.
This is a great feature, but FG always starts with the aircraft up in the sky with the engine off (only tested with Cessna c172). You don´t have many seconds left to start the engine before the aircraft crashes. Is this a bug or have I forgot a setting somewhere?

4. I have never been able to get a map with "Ctrl + M" on any version of FG. Are my Swedish keyboards mapped wrong or something?

I find it amazing that FlightGear 2016 even runs on my old 2008, OpenGL 1.5, Vista laptop. Good job developers!
Flax069

Re: A few Flightgear 2016.1.1 problems

Postby rominet » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 am

1. Don't know about this one, sorry.
  2. I believe this has already been reported on the -devel list (by wkitty42, I'd say).
  3. Placing the aircraft 10 miles out with some suitable altitude is the easy part of the job. The hard part is that FG has hundreds of aircrafts and switching them from cold state to “up and running” can't be done currently with any standard method, AFAICT. With some aircrafts, starting in-air works fine and you "just" have to start engines; with other aircrafts, you end up in an inconsistent state with the autopilot seemingly engaged but no way to actually act on the aircraft controls... it depends. For a single aircraft, a determined person can probably work out custom Nasal and/or property init settings that will make the aircraft start fine in air (someone apparently did this for the c172p on this forum just a few days ago), but as far as I know, there is no single method to do that for all aircrafts.
  4. Long-standing problem, already in the bug tracker. To make it short, noone seems to care. I just think the non-working Ctrl-M keyboard shortcut should not be displayed in the menu at all, because indeed this is confusing. It is relatively easy to make it work, though—at least on my Linux system—with the following patch applied to FGData:
    Code: Select all
    diff --git a/keyboard.xml b/keyboard.xml
    index 2dc7212..95112ca 100644
    --- a/keyboard.xml
    +++ b/keyboard.xml
    @@ -130,14 +130,6 @@ top down before the key bindings are parsed.
        <property>/controls/flight/rudder</property>
        <step type="double">0.05</step>
       </binding>
    -
    -  <!-- Ctrl-M generates Enter, but we want to show the map in that case -->
    -  <mod-ctrl>
    -      <binding>
    -       <command>dialog-show</command>
    -       <dialog-name>map</dialog-name>
    -      </binding>
    -  </mod-ctrl>
      </key>

<key n="13"> <!-- PLIB -->
    @@ -149,6 +141,14 @@ top down before the key bindings are parsed.
        <property>/controls/flight/rudder</property>
        <step type="double">0.05</step>
       </binding>
    +
    +  <!-- Ctrl-M generates Enter, but we want to show the map in that case -->
    +  <mod-ctrl>
    +      <binding>
    +       <command>dialog-show</command>
    +       <dialog-name>map</dialog-name>
    +      </binding>
    +  </mod-ctrl>
      </key>

<key n="14">

i.e., instead of having the dialog-show map binding in keyboard.xml under <key n="10"> (which means Ctrl-J), put it under <key n="13"> (which means Ctrl-M). Ctrl-@ is 0, Ctrl-A is 1, Ctrl-B is 2, etc. by convention (at least on Unix-like systems...). This fix works for me, but might be system-dependent because of the stupid line-ending differences between Windows, Mac and Unix-like systems.

Note that some people are happy that Ctrl-M doesn't work, because Ctrl-M being the character CR in ASCII (“Carriage Return”), it has the property of clicking on buttons in GUI dialogs (for instance the Send button in the MP chat dialog, but actually any button that has focus). However, Ctrl-J had very similar problems last I tried, therefore I keep Ctrl-M personally and just pay attention whether a dialog is open or not before using it. Another possibility that avoids all these problems is to use a joystick binding, if you can do that (or a completely different keyboard binding).
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Flax069 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I tried to check if any of my problems were in the bugtracker but found nothing. I think I´ll leave things as they are & hope for a bugfixed next version of FG.
Flax069

Postby sanhozay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 pm

It's no good hoping. Report the bugs on the tracker and ping the mailing list. Do as much as you can to isolate the problem (and ask for help if required). It probably won't get fixed otherwise. There is no army of developers actively working through the list of bugs.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:23 am

I can open the map with "ctrl-Enter" (on Linux)
But when I use Enter for right rudder it gets closed again :-(
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Flax069 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:18 pm

I´ll report any bugs I find.

Just tested again the Flightgear Launcher: Location tab: "On final approach at distance: XX function & this feature is pretty useless when the aircraft starts in the air with the engine off. The Cessna goes into a spin & crashes before one can get the engine going even with autostart.
Flax069

Postby jaxsin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:45 pm

If you want this functionality I believe you can startup on a runway then use the location dialog and set an altitude airspeed and distance from an airport. Once it reloads you will be in the air flying engines running
jaxsin

Postby rominet » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Flax069 wrote in Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm:Thanks for the info. I tried to check if any of my problems were in the bugtracker but found nothing.

Concerning the Ctrl-M keyboard shortcut, there is at least ticket #641.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Flax069 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:52 pm

jaxsin wrote in Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:45 pm:If you want this functionality I believe you can startup on a runway then use the location dialog and set an altitude airspeed and distance from an airport. Once it reloads you will be in the air flying engines running

Yes I´ll try that.
Flax069

Postby jaxsin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:40 pm

pommesschranke wrote in Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:23 am:I can open the map with "ctrl-Enter" (on Linux)
But when I use Enter for right rudder it gets closed again :-(

I did not check to see if this conflicts with Rudder control, as I do not use keyboard, but CTRL + Enter works on windows 10 as well. :) I say the same thing, remove the shortcut from the menu
jaxsin

Return to Support