Board index FlightGear Support

facetracknoir help...

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

facetracknoir help...

Postby fsgam3r » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:56 pm

hello, i am trying to run FG with a face tracker, read about it in : http://wiki.flightgear.org/FaceTrackNoI ... FlightGear
so where to put commands shown in page? (link)
fsgam3r

Callsign: SVA565
Version: 3.4

Re: facetracknoir help...

Postby Avionyx » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi There,

If you read the link you posted then you'll see it does mention where to put it in FGRun:

You can run FTNoIR through two ways:

Run FlightGear, with the following (extra) commands:
--generic=socket,in,25,localhost,5550,udp,headtracker
--generic=socket,out,10,localhost,5551,udp,headtracker
--prop:browser=/sim/headtracker
--config=$FG ROOT/Nasal/headtracker.xml
Set the commands showed above via FGRun. All of them can be set via Advanced on the last page of the launcher.

Hope that helps,

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby fsgam3r » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:26 pm

should i put commands + files too?? cuz i see --config=.../Nasal/HEADTRACKER.xml !!!
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
fsgam3r

Callsign: SVA565
Version: 3.4

Postby Avionyx » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:45 pm

C'mon chap you don't make things easy do you?

If you read the link that you posted yourself the first step is:

Download and install FaceTrackNoIR, as prescribed in the attached README. You will have to move a couple of files to the FlightGear root.

So if you've put those files in the flightgear Root as directed, and then put those commands in the advanced section on the last page of the launcher then the command will reference the file you put in root in step one and, hopefully, work.

People are more than happy to help you but if you don't read the links you post yourself then it doesn't bode well for you listening to advice others give you.
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby goney3 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:20 am

Avionyx, I don't think you have used FaceTrackNoIR v170 then? It does NOT have included files to copy over. It does NOT include a README (or a FlightGear folder). It does NOT initiate correctly even using the Advanced tab while using copies of "headtracker.xml" that are floating around online. It is completely BROKEN and the wiki on it is entirely out of date. It feels that FaceTrackNoIR is both unsupported on their side as well as FlightGear's side (forum posts on FTNOIR show the developer thinks FlightGear isn't even used anymore). This (I feel) is a breakdown in communication and supporting a great free program for users.
Any assistance in updating the FlightGear Wiki for v170 for a step-by-step walk-through would be hugely helpful. I've been Googling all night and I cannot find a single walk-through or any YouTube tutorials. From what I can gather from any circa late 2014 to early 2015 post shows that something is very broken indeed. Thank you for your insights and helpful feedback in helping multiple users (and future users) in how to get it up and working. Cheers! :)
goney3

Postby agough » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:49 am

goney3 wrote in Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:20 am:...it does NOT have included files to copy over. It does NOT include a README...

Yeah, I found a Sourceforge forum page where the guy admits this, a few pointers follow:
http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/ ... 8b0f/#6359

The files are here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetra ... lightGear/

Make sure you don't get the identically named xml's muddled up! Ignore the batch file, continue with the instructions on the Wiki.

FaceTrack Noir 1.7 with FlightGear 3.4.0
Here's my guide for getting it to work using the standard Windows launcher. It works, you'll need to fiddle with FTNoir to fine tune it. If anybody else finds this works, I'll add it to the Wiki page.

_____
1)
Download the headtracker.xml file here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetra ... /protocol/
Put it in your Protocol folder in your %FGROOT%, it'll be something like C:/Program Files/Flightgear/Data/Protocol

_____
2)
Get this modified version of the actual Nasal script here: http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/ ... 8b0f/#c66d
Put it into your /Data/Nasal folder. Be careful with the downloads, the Nasal and protocol files are vitally different but are called the same thing (headtracker.xml) - don't get them muddled up!

_____
3)
Start the Flightgear launcher. Select a plane, then start location. In the final screen, click "Advanced", then "General". In the "Config" box, select the /Data/Nasal/headtracker.xml file.

_____
4)
Go to the "Input/Output" area. Create two new settings:

Protocol=generic, Medium=socket, Direction=in, Hz=25, Hostname=127.0.0.1, Port=5550, UDP, Generic=headtracker

Protocol=generic, Medium=socket, Direction=out, Hz=10, Hostname=127.0.0.1, Port=5551, UDP, Generic=headtracker

Click OK to close the advanced options.

_____
5)
Start FaceTrackNoir. Make sure the game protocol is Flightgear. Click the settings button in the Game protocol area and check the inbound port entered in step 4 is correct. Click "Start" in the Go! area, check the camera and program successfully get your face by checking the status area.

_____
6)
In the Flightgear Launcher, hit Run. When Flightgear loads, you'll see a window hopefully showing the raw data coming in from FTNoir. Even more hopefully, the camera will be moving with you. You'll now need to fiddle with the settings in the FTNoir window to get it to work to your taste.
agough

Callsign: G-OUGH
Version: 3.7

Postby agough » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:43 pm

A little addendum for people using 3.6's new launcher that only excepts command line things: you'll need these lines instead of part 4):

--generic=socket,in,25,127.0.0.1,5550,udp,headtracker
--generic=socket,out,10,127.0.0.1,5551,udp,headtracker
--config="[FlightGear data folder path]/Nasal/headtracker.xml"
agough

Callsign: G-OUGH
Version: 3.7

Postby LP-17 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:00 pm

What happens if at the top of the window of raw data there is a line saying control none
LP-17

Return to Support