Board index FlightGear Support

How do I get output in the console  Topic is solved

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: How do I get output in the console

Postby Philosopher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Actually, thinking about it, it seems that there could be a fair amount of features we could add this way. For one, it seems rather easy to support reading back a logfile instead (because AFAIK that's the only place where all of the info is gathered: line number, logging class, etc.). We can basically keep track of how many lines we have parsed, and read additional lines back in (which is easy, because logging is strictly additive). This, however, would not be as nice as a cppbind-based notification system (receive logging events with a callback, get the same info that is written to the log file), so it could be used for, e.g. switching which log-levels to display in the widget, or even controlling whether to exclude certain origins (C++ vs. Nasal, specific files and lines, etc.). Neither of this would be all that complicated (luckily :D).

P.S. I like how most README/NEWS/etc. files in FG have not been updated since like 0.9.10 :shock:
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Callsign: AFTI
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Philosopher wrote in Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:33 pm:P.S. I like how most README/NEWS/etc. files in FG have not been updated since like 0.9.10 :shock:

I can be really confusing at times. Even more so when new features do not have a README.* in data/Docs, and all information I find is a wiki page missing some of the parameters of a feature that obviously is used in places.

I could go looking in the source code,* but I do not like spending literally hours in a wild goose chase trying to figure out where that feature would live in the source and what it does (been there done that).

* I can read C++ code to some extent.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:06 pm

the real problem here is that it's easy for core developers to establish coding conventions and conduct code reviews when reviewing code contributed by non-core devs, but it is not that easy anymore once other core developers violate these very rules by not documenting their new features, basically the features end up in the code base, without being documented.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Previous

Return to Support