Board index FlightGear Support

How to load more scenery into FG?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: How to load more scenery into FG?

Postby chris_blues » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Pressing [z] didn't help either, but I've found some property at /scenery/visibility-m which began loading more and more tiles into FG! but unfortunately this warped the scenery itself in a smaller pattern somehow... So this isn't my solution either...
Any ideas which one may be the right switch???
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:12 am

The skydome scattering shader actually works great when the density of scatterers in the atmosphere is very low - as in good visibility and high altitude. Here's Nevada seen from 80.000 ft (say, out of a Blackbird, although I just did it with the ufo) with a visibility of 250 km (would probably still be way higher in reality, but hey...) . Apart from the repetition problem of terrain textures which is *very* obvious from that altitude, it looks okay to me.

The trouble is that there's no seamless path going there - there isn't any setting which gives you this and still looks okay on the ground. Part of the trouble is that the scattering shader isn't designed to handle 30 km visibility properly, another part is that I'm not sure the altitude dependence of Rayleigh scattering is actually correct - looks always a bit on the thin side on the ground...

So, if you ask me, the bottomline is: You can't use the scattering shader for any low (<100 km) visibility, even with a bugfix to force fog to the same color as terrain, it wouldn't be credible for <20 km visibility because the whole physics of the shader code makes the approximation that visibility is large. You can use it to good effect at high altitude and high visibility, but you have to manually switch from the normal skydome to the scattering shader one and configure it, and the same setting won't work on the ground.
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:14 am

Looks great! How exactly did you increase visibility? With z-key or somewhere in the properties?
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 am

How exactly did you increase visibility? With z-key or somewhere in the properties?

Being the developer of Local Weather has some advantages - I simply instructed my vertical visibility model to give me 250 km at 80.000 ft.

If you're running a default 'Fair Weather' in global weather, 'z' should do nicely though... All variants set /environment/visibility-m which is in the end what is used.
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks! I've watched what happened to prop:/environment/visibility-m - and saw that it indeed increased by pressing z... And this time the loaded scenery indeed grew larger. And now I understand, what you mean, with fog and realism and all the stuff... In a way it looks good to see the horizon when on the ground, but it isn't very realistic to look that far... At higher altitudes it makes sense...

Edit: Using terrasync, how far does it (pre-)load? As much as necessary, to display the scenery which is asked for? I had no time to test it further...

Edit2: Here's my observation combined in a little artwork :)
Skydome looks nicer itself, but without the horizon looks much better...
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby sdef » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 am

Hello everyone,

Is there any idea how to load scenery tile earlier...i mean i want to load scenery tiles before i am moving to that location.

I don't want to see the tile loading when i fly at higher altitude(15000 ft)..my visibility area is 120 kms.

thanks in advance.
sdef

Postby Thorsten » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:23 am

If the scenery is not on your harddisk - install it there before starting your flight (there's terrasync.py, TerraMaster and other offline tools to do it).

If the scenery is on your harddisk already get a faster harddisk.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Support