Board index FlightGear Support

Landing light for objects

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Landing light for objects

Postby sdefvisual » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:49 pm

Hello Everyone,
In Flightgear if we enable landing light we can able to see the light only in the terrain but when I fly above a object I'm unable to visualize light effect upon the object. I want to what is the reason for this and how to solve this issue. Kindly give your suggestions. Thanks in advance .
sdefvisual

Re: Landing light for objects

Postby SurferTim » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:26 pm

ALS lights will illuminate only concrete or paved surfaces.
Compositor lights illuminate objects, at least many.
Which are you using?
What objects are not being illuminated?

Edit: Here is the Compositor running/landing/taxi lights with objects using my Twin Otter at St Barths..
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:38 am

I want to what is the reason for this

The reason is that rendering is not physics - in rendering there is no light propagation, illumination is a property of the surface only. So if a surface is supposed to look illuminated, the information must be transmitted.

Generally the more physically correct this should be the more expensive that is - you might for instance observe for the compositor that lights do not illuminate fog properly and that they can shine through solid objects without casting a shadow - or that, unless you insert an object for it, you can't see the light source itself when you look into it.

The answer in all cases is the same - the code stops getting the information to a surface at some point because it is getting expensive, so what you see is never real, but aimed to look okay in most conditions.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:16 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:38 am:what you see is never real, but aimed to look okay in most conditions.

this is the most important thing to remember about simulators, too...
it is not that the actual real life trail to some result is strictly followed, only that the final result properly appears the same in the end...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support