Board index FlightGear Support

Slow bootup of Flightgear

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Slow bootup of Flightgear

Postby Indaloman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:28 pm

I am 83 years old, and hot too techy. FlightGear takes ages to boot up ready for flight.

My PC is Desktop AFQ2RCA with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.00Ghz I have 4.94 of usable RAM. Graphics card AMD Radon HD6450 running Windows 10 64bit and I bought FlightGear discs just 2 weeks ago, so the latest version? Would upgrading the graphics card speed it up? Or is whole unit too old? It ran Microsoft 2002 fine and Steam version. Any help appreciated.
Indaloman

Re: Slow bootup of Flightgear

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:52 pm

you bought flightgear disks from where?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby miguel » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:51 pm

Indaloman.

no need to buy.
it's all free, ask us for information
miguel
miguel

Postby erik » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:56 pm

I've had the same problem when terrasync was active and the terrasync servers where unreachable.
Not sure if it is the sample problem tough as I would guess that terrasync will not be active just after a fresh install.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Indaloman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:58 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:52 pm:you bought flightgear disks from where?

Ebay
Indaloman

Postby Indaloman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:00 pm

erik wrote in Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:56 pm:I've had the same problem when terrasync was active and the terrasync servers where unreachable.
Not sure if it is the sample problem tough as I would guess that terrasync will not be active just after a fresh install.

Erik

Sorry Erik, don't understand
Indaloman

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:15 pm

Indaloman wrote in Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:58 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:52 pm:you bought flightgear disks from where?

Ebay

oof... can you share a picture or two of what you got? it sounds like you have something that we may not be able to support here... especially if it has been built by a 3rd party and they may have modified it...

flightgear is free to download and always has been... there is an official flightgear store where you can purchase legitimate disks or usb drive from... look at the "Website" link at the very top of these pages, above the ec-130 picture...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support