Board index FlightGear Support

Tutorials - Two Voices - Controls

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Tutorials - Two Voices - Controls

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello, I'm new to Flightgear and this forum so please excuse me if I'm not doing things correctly!
I'm using Windows 10 and just installed the latest March edition 2017.1.2 of Flightgear. When I use the Tutorials I hear 2 voices talking at the same time. Could anyone please help me with this issue.

As a secondary question , How would be the best way to fly the Cessna 172p, using Keyboad controls, mouse, or a joystick, and if Joystick what joystick would you recommend for a minimum cost yet very good functionality. (I am from Cornwall, Ontario, Canada)

Again please excuse me if I'm not using the forum correctly, making a new topic with several questions. I'm just so new to this!

Thank You,
Ron
Ron Swerdfeger

Re: Tutorials - Two Voices - Controls

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 pm

this is a new feature... i see it with AI craft talking over each other during startup... you get 10 of them going and nothing is understandable... what i would do, since you're just getting started, it in the sim, use the F10 menu... go to File, Sound and then un 'X' the box at the bottom where it says "requires a restart"... then quit the sim and start it again... that will turn off the voices for that use...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks so very much, now when I use the Tutorials I don't hear any voice at all including the Tutorial instruction voice but at least I can read the Tutorial instructions! Is there any way to just hear the Tutorial instruction voice?

And also any thoughts how would be the best way to fly the Cessna 172p, using Keyboard controls, mouse, or a joystick, and if Joystick what joystick would you recommend for a minimum cost yet very good functionality. (I am from Cornwall, Ontario, Canada)
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Ron Swerdfeger wrote in Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 pm:Thanks so very much, now when I use the Tutorials I don't hear any voice at all including the Tutorial instruction voice but at least I can read the Tutorial instructions! Is there any way to just hear the Tutorial instruction voice?

not at this point with this feature... i keep forgetting to bring it up on the dev mailing list but i will try harder to remember the next time i'm reading it...
[EDIT]
i've brought this up on the dev mailing list, now ;)
[/EDIT]

Ron Swerdfeger wrote in Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 pm:And also any thoughts how would be the best way to fly the Cessna 172p, using Keyboard controls, mouse, or a joystick, and if Joystick what joystick would you recommend for a minimum cost yet very good functionality. (I am from Cornwall, Ontario, Canada)

my old traditional joystick wouldn't work on my system so i flew the C172P using the keyboard and autopilot until i did get a joystick... i would take off and almost immediately race for the AP to turn it on... it starts by holding the current climb so then i would be tweaking the AP to reduce the climb rate to what the C172P could properly handle... that and wings level... from then on, i adjusted the heading bug to go where i wanted to go...

as for choosing a joystick there is a joystick topic in these forums somewhere... i got a Thrustmaster 1600000M and have enjoyed it... i may still get a proper yoke and pedals, though... maybe... one day...

as for trying to fly with a mouse, i've tried and tried and tried... either my mouse is too sensitive or i just don't know how to use it after 30 years... plus my setup leaves only a small 8inch by 8inch area for my mouse so it is rather confined...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Thank you so very much for all your help and assistance, it is very much appreciated!
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:12 pm

the most appropriate thing to do for the instructor issue is to add a new/dedicated voice channel (e.g. copilot) and use that for the instructor's voice/messages, while using a lower volume for radio stuff, i.e. reducing the volume when the copilot/instructor is talking
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
Nasal | Projects | Core development |
Programming resources
Hooray

Postby stuart » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Ron, Hooray,

Thanks for finding this - I will investigate.

Hooray - good idea on the volume stuff. I will see if we can implement that sensibly.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Hooray wrote in Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:12 pm:the most appropriate thing to do for the instructor issue is to add a new/dedicated voice channel (e.g. copilot) and use that for the instructor's voice/messages, while using a lower volume for radio stuff, i.e. reducing the volume when the copilot/instructor is talking

Thanks Hooray, Your help is much appreciated! I'd give it a try but I'm so new to FlightGear that I don't have a clue as how to do this, I would need step by step instructions
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby stuart » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi All,

I've just checked in a fix that stops the TTS from talking over itself.

It's not perfectly realistic - it simply blocks further TTS until the current TTS has finished, rather than being by radio frequency, but it's far better than what was happening before!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Return to Support