Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events Virtual airlines

FGFlightLog.org - Exclusive new aircraft release

Discussion relating to virtual airlines.

Re: Charter Aviation - Exclusive new aircraft release

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Sounds great! Really looking forward to it and thank you already so much for your work!
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:34 am

Very nice. It is very impressive +1, especially the avionics :)

Is it to be expected the propeller lever has no effect on the engine?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby chtadmin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 am

Hi legoboyvdip. Thanks for your comments. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. The new version available in FGAddon has a proper TurboProp engine/Propeller Thruster combo. The propeller control lever works properly. The earlier versions used the turbine engine/direct thruster combo which was basically a shortcut that has been remedied. Enjoy the plane!

ePilot
ePilot
Charter Aviation
Any Plane, Any Route, Anytime
chtadmin

Callsign: CHT0001
IRC name: ePilot

Postby wlbragg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:26 am

I finally had a chance to install and test the 208B and what a sweet aircraft, well done!

I had a couple issues with it though.
If I switch from wheels to amphibious on the ground the aircraft z-pos of the amphibious gear are not correct and the wheels are sunk into the ground. It then is stuck fast to the runway and can't roll. If I switch it back to wheels when on the runway it doesn't re-adjust and the wheels are quit a bit above the ground.

If I switched it in flight from wheels to amphibious I was able to take off but when landing in the water the z-pos is still off and the wake effect is below the water line and you can't see it. It also appeared to stop to fast.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby chtadmin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:44 am

Thanks for the input wlbragg... What version of FG are you running? I did hundreds of tests switching back and forth between wheels and floats while on the ground and never ran into the problem you describe. In fact I always had to test the float gear taxiing and takeoff by switching from wheels to floats on the ground because the system automatically loads wheels if you load at an airport. What airport did you have this trouble at? I will look into this further as the plane is still in development. (toying with the idea of adding the FG1000). Again thanks for the info...

ePilot
ePilot
Charter Aviation
chtadmin

Postby Oswald » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:02 pm

Hello,

I have used the aircraft quite a few times for VA purposes (St Paul Airlines: http://www.stpaulairlines.com ), thank you, ePilot, for this great work.

Usually, I try to get the aircraft full with passengers and cargo. I have an issue with weight and balance: Even if I leave the rear pax seats empty, I have a high angle of attack with centre of gravity about 190 in. Having rear seats occupied, as well, with CG of 199 in, I can hardly control the aircraft and landing is like a constant near stall. During final approach I cannot see the near part of the runway, in level flight I don't have a natural horizon.

In the EASA Type Certificate Data Sheet https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/EASA.IM_.A.226_Issue%2010_20180621.pdf it is defined, that the centre of gravity should be round about between 174 and 184 in for the C208, and between 195 and 204 in for the C208B.

Do you have the same experience with high AOA? Is the implemented weight and balance management for the aircraft adapted for C208 or C208B? Is there anything I can sensibly change? Do you see any fault in my thoughts and steering?

Oswald
Oswald

Postby chtadmin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:49 am

I JUST saw this - so sorry - must have missed it in the New Posts list. So first off I do not experience most of what you are getting. Even overloading the plane with max passengers, fuel and cargo I can control the plane if I keep my speed up properly. If I overload with max everything and then try to land at a minimum weight airspeed then things can get squirrely pretty quick. One change that I had intended to make but forgot to was that I wanted to raise the default pilots eye level, but even without doing that I still see a very visible real horizon well above the instrument hood while in level flight. you can adjust your own pilot eye level with [U]. [Shift]-[U] and [Ctrl]-[U] which I usually do sometime during my flights before landing. The fuel and payload dialog will allow you to OVERLOAD the aircraft just like you can overload a real aircraft. If you go max everything you will overload at 9120 lbs. The 208B specs are Max T/O Weight: 8750 Lb and Max Landing Weight: 8500 Lb. If you go max everything you will need to fly a long time to burn off enough fuel to get to a comfortable landing weight. Another thing I wanted to implement but never got around to was making a custom Fuel and Payload Dialog that would show the Gross weight in RED if overloaded and show the Center of Gravity in RED if min or max was exceeded. Next release will get that. The only advice I can give at the moment would be to load properly and when really heavy you need to keep your speed up. If you want to tinker the first thing I would do would be to increase the lift coefficient due to flaps. Make the flaps more effective at generating lift. This will lower your nose and allow you slower approach speeds when really heavy. For all I know I may have those numbers wrong anyway. There's little published information with that kind of technical aerodynamic detail to work from. Try experimenting with those numbers and if you get something better let me know - good luck with the experiments.
ePilot
Charter Aviation
chtadmin

Previous

Return to Virtual airlines