Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events Virtual airlines

Active VA's

Discussion relating to virtual airlines.

Re: Active VA's

Postby Pakistan-1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:25 pm

It will be nice to have a section to remember the defunct VA's on the wiki
Pakistan-1

Callsign: DocDMG,PK1,MIA2020
Version: 3.7

Postby Turnit » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Why dont you go make that then. It can be edited by anyone.
Harbor Air Virutal - Launching 11/28/2019
Turnit

Callsign: Turnit
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby omega95 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 am

I definitely agree with Ray, also consider that for (relatively) long term VAs, you can't determine much about performance over very short periods of time (like a week). I made a few queries on our database to get some ACTUAL data (not speculation).

(I was originally trying to get the last 3 years - but we moved to our new website less than 2 years ago)

Turnit,

To me, our operations look almost average/on the low end at this point, but it has definitely been worse. And it's important to note that the spikes in the plot occur when the team introduce a new set of routes, a competition, events etc. For example, I believe the 30 flights spike was when we just introduced the Wings around the world competition (pilots have dedicated over 1500 hours of flight time to that), and the jump 3 months ago was when we just introduced some new routes. The rest (between 1 and 4 flights per day), like what we're at now is just the usual.

I barely have any time to fly or do much with the VA these days, and from what I've heard - so does most of the current staff (like Ray mentioned in a post earlier, it is quite difficult for us young guys - with school/college, work, looking for someone to spend your life with etc. to dedicate a lot of time to this. Atlas/Global has quite a few older members, but merlion doesn't - we relies on new pilots to keep things going) I'm not in touch with the staff at merlion, but I do get on the forums to see what's going on, and I find people working out new schemes/events/routes etc. all the time.

In fact, about 3 years ago, I said the same thing about Atlas based on their statistics over a week/month (I bet a lot of the Atlas guys remember, :twisted: ) but I was obviously wrong as they are still active now - as Global.

We current have around 300 pilots registered (there were more total registrations but we removed pilots without any flights for over a month) but only 98 have flown in the last 6 months - most of them who joined in that period, and only 11 pilots in the last month. However, that is actually pretty normal for us - there are only 3/4 pilots who fly with us now that have flown with us 2 years ago (even I'm not on that list!).

Again, these are just some stats you might want to know to understand how things seem to be working here over the long run - maybe they will help you build a successful VA (I'm assuming that's what you're trying to do?). I would suggest you find someone who has time to dedicate to the VA, or work out a system that constantly brings in more people - we switched our leadership around a lot, giving a lot of opportunities to new pilots. And I admit, it's a lot easier to get more users if you already have a large user base, but that's a lot of hard work in the beginning and is what makes the difference - even though I still doubt whether it was really worth it.

And I know you've been told this a lot before, but do consider joining one of the other large, friendly communities here. You might have a lot more fun with Global, merlion, JAFVA etc. instead of trying to start something alone (or with a very small group).

Sadly, I still don't have a lot of free time (starting grad school now! :D ) but I do drop in even once in a while - both here and merlion to see how things are going.

Cheers,
Naru
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby Turnit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Yea, I need to get some other people onboard of the staff, its a one man show right now. I have a few ideas of stuff to do with my VA, but Im going to phase them in over the fall and early winter so if they go good, I dont get a flood of pilots, then 1 a month after that, afte Ive exausted my ideas.
Turnit

Postby Zjump » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:41 pm

European Virtual Airlines. They support FSX and Flightgear and Xplane!
Zjump

Version: 3.4

Postby berkut » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:54 pm

I don't think anyone asked this question so far:
How much does it cost to run a huge va like Merlion,in real cash. Starting with the design and programing od the web site,the cost of the hosting...all costs in real cash.

My va for example is on the free hosting cause i can't pay for it.

Regards
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Postby MSA-S23 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:53 am

Well...

I can make a completely free website, on free hosting (Such as x10) and a phpVMS website or whatever.

Cheers,

Ash
MSA-S23

Callsign: UpAndAway

Postby Turnit » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:01 am

Yea, but after a while your bandwidth usage and data usage will exceed the amount given with a free account.
Turnit

Postby MSA-S23 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:13 am

Which is when I switch to paid hosting, about 3 to 4$ (CAD) a month.
MSA-S23

Callsign: UpAndAway

Postby omega95 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:13 pm

berkut wrote in Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:54 pm:How much does it cost to run a huge va like Merlion,in real cash.

The domain costs about $12/year, we pay $7/mon for hosting, and the website was designed from scratch so we didn't pay anything for it, but it was easily around 50 hours of work (mid-level web developers are paid around $40/hr), which runs up to $2000. But ofcourse, we didn't outsource that. So overall, it's only around $100/year.

All prices are in USD.

Cheers.
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby UKRAINE » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:23 am

BRT's website is down, but BRT still lives. We have events from time to time. We are using a facebook group instead of a website to communicate.

Here is an example of what we're up to these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTGgF2O9YZQ
Callsign : BRT0003
BRT Flight Operations, Co- founder of BRT - Bogdan Tsupryk
Join BRT Virtual Airlines ! Active airline over 2,500 flights COMPLETED and over 100 pilots!
Register to join BRT : http://www.brtvirtualairlines.org
UKRAINE

Callsign: BRT0003
Version: 3.4

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:42 pm

If you consider also Virtual Air Forces, the most active/alive is Op Red Flag (OPRF): http://opredflag.shivtr.com/ . ;)
Cheers, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby clrCoda » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:34 am

Have to report that Global did indeed die.

Back last Christmas I had a heath issue that put me in the hospital for a month. When I got home and finally got around to checking things out, I found the guy that was running things and providing the infrastructure "took his bat and ball and went home".

The shame of it all is, now that i'm almost always in a bed, I have WAY WAY too much time on my hands, and I fly almost constantly. But I can't seem to get myself to join another VA, or anything involving a website that I don't control myself.

Best of luck to the joiners!!
Was fun while it lasted.
--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby PavlinS » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:59 am

Can someone tell me what exactly mean to become Active VA? I do not know where to submit my livery and website..........
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Previous

Return to Virtual airlines