Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events Virtual airlines

BVAO, Belfort Virtual Aerodrome Operations.

Discussion relating to virtual airlines.

BVAO, Belfort Virtual Aerodrome Operations.

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:43 pm

They say that imitation is the best form of flattery. Well, IAHM-COL's virtual airline gave me an idea ( thanks Israel..) to start virtual WWI operations, from Belfort-Chaux and doing training flights, observing, leafleting, ( yes, both of the English and French leafleted the Germans.) bombing raids and cover flights for observation and bombing flights. The Luxeuil and Belfort aerodromes of the early to mid WWI period are quite famous for their Groupes de Combat and Escadrilles as were the German Eindekker and two-seater squads of Colmar, Freiburg, and Ettensheim.

Now I'll be the one in charge of setting up and deploying the various flights, and I have no illusions that there will be very many volunteers, but this is early on, until we get better acquainted with Bombable and implementing new animation features, I expect things will be a bit quiet. As I'm trying this out in a concurrently and centennially historical way, the advances we will try will be available as time progresses. Yeah I know, you want to go out and dog-fight with Camels and Fokkers. :lol:

Unfortunately I'm the Commandant, :twisted: I set the time, aircraft used and missions to be accomplished, so to advance in the squad, you have to complete missions. Plus there will be training and formation flying if I have the time. Unfortunately if you also crash land you will have to start over again, I, E, either dead or wounded. WWI kites are not all that easy, and I'm going to be recruiting for fighter squads with touchy and demanding to fly rotary engine powered fighter airplanes.

You will get to like the sound of the braa-a-a-ap.....braa-a-a-ap...braa-a-a-ap of a 'couped' LeRhone as you make your final approach, no?

I'm presently setting up some 3D landmarks and aerodrome features for Belfort-Chaux, although the Belfort area is pretty distinctive in it's landscape, and getting to know the area (practice, practice, it will help, especially if we have weather changes, and yes I expect we'll want to use real weather fetch.

Hopefully we can get someone to take up the reins of running a German FFA and Jasta Command across the Rhine so we've got some missions with opposing teams.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Re: BVAO, Belfort Virtual Aerodrome Operations.

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:54 am

Sounds great :D I don't have access to FG for a few weeks, but once I'm back I'll join up.

Prop's are way better than jet in my opinion 8) .
Last edited by MountainFlyerN22 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:09 am

It will probably be a week or so before there's releasable scenery mods for Belfort. There will be single place and double width tent hangars, barracks, hotels, farm houses, repair sheds, AA, fuel and cargo trucks, cargo depot, fuel depots, and a rail station, plus the airship hangar. It should to have groundnet positions for all the hangars, including the airship hangar.
LesterBoffo

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:35 am

Sounds good, how about posting some links to your ww1 aircrafts if not already on the FG website ?
MountainFlyerN22

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:16 am

Private COL requests maiden Mission
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:46 am

Well you all start as Sous Lieutenants as they did in the real French Air Service. The ranks aren't so much important as keeping a record of the flights made and goals accomplished. Most flights in real-life WWI missions were uneventful unless you were tasked with attacking a really well defended airfield or someplace with crack AA squads.
LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Posting some screenshots of what I've got so far for scenery at Belfort.

LesterBoffo

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:51 pm

My internet access has been reduced, but whenever I can make it, I'll join. And yes, I love those planes!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:39 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:46 am:......someplace with crack AA squads.

@Lester,
I see your trying to make those crack AA squads :D
Last edited by MountainFlyerN22 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainFlyerN22

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Hey, I don't know if this is a stupid idea or what, but I am considering making a bombable AI scenario with "archie". I will have to ask around on the bombable thread, if this is possible, but do you think it would make the experience more realistic?

Think of side-slipping away from archie bursts. :P
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Already way ahead of you on this, but making AI Archie for static models is going to be a big challenge, there's people working on this right now.

LesterBoffo

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Nice truck, waiting for the link :)

I saw your post on the bombable thread. Too bad I'm no good at that stuff or I'd help.
How about a non AI (manual) AA to begin with? We could take turns gunning so no one has to do it always.

P.S I'm back to flying.
MountainFlyerN22

Re: BVAO, Belfort Virtual Aerodrome Operations: The Back St

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 pm

So as Fall of 1914 fades into Winter, and with the failure of the Schleifen Assault Plan in Flanders, the Germans doubled their efforts in the Marne And Alsace. In the Alsace-Lorraine area their victories were most spectacular in the Metz and Sarr Valley area with the capture of some of our prime mining and steel production. But further South they weren't anticipating that we would back our defense with such vigor. Our ground forces wielding the MLE 75 mm field cannon were used to great effect against their advance, but still we lost our gains in the Franco-Prussian War with interest. Germany now holds both sides of the Rhine and much area to the West, and we are literally up against the hills and valleys of the Vosges. Which is where we find our Airfield, nestled in a small valley in the Southern end of the Vosges.

The Royal Naval Air Service is back at Belfort licking their wounds from the Friedrichshafen Zeppelin bombing raid fiasco, and talk is afoot of their departure back to northern Flanders. 3 AVRO planes and pilots lost, and one of the group would have returned safe had he not made a miscalculation in his navigation and landed in Switzerland. We are negotiating with the Swiss for the release of the pilot and aircraft, but they can be stubborn.

Still some bombs were dropped, and the attack was audacious if not poorly executed.

Late November finds us with a large empty Zeppelin hangar, (a big target,) and the start of our own group of aircraft shelters and housing for our mixed bag of hand-me-downs and rebuilds. We are presently improving written off and repaired aircraft from the training aerodrome at Pau, 12 meter Caudron's, and a recent shipment of slightly damaged Two-Seater Bleriots our resourceful Leon has managed to work a deal out with Pau. These will be upgraded with LeRhone-7c 60 PS engines, not the 80 PS 9C like we wanted, but lighter and more reliable than the Gnome we would have used if not for the structural limits. We also will be sharing Belfort with GC12's Farmans and Voisons.

Our duties, as the aircraft become available, will include patrols along the Eastern edge of our lines with scouting, and mapping the advances and reinforcements the Germans presently have. The RFC is busily setting up a line of observation Kite Balloons in the folds of the eastern finger ridges of the mountains and we have been tentatively requested to provide a presence in the air as a deterrent. Laughable since the only thing the German Air Arm has working locally is the Taube, and they haven't been doing much more than overflying the safer areas just West of the Rhine. Intelligence does remind us that the Bosche have a Aviatik production plant in nearby Freiburg. so we may have some sorties deeper within the occupied areas.
LesterBoffo

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:14 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:16 am:PrivateSous Lieutenants COL ready to patrol :!:
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:27 pm

I hear you SousLtn COL, we have a slight issue with ready to fly aircraft, and the aerodrome needing artist permission to use said 3D objects and textures.

I can send you on a scouting mission in the Caudron 12 meter to mark out emergency landing zones near the front lines, and the interior mountain valleys to our Northeast. It's not much, but we have to plan ahead.
LesterBoffo

Next

Return to Virtual airlines