Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events Virtual airlines

PHPvms vs "FlightDeck"

Discussion relating to virtual airlines.

PHPvms vs "FlightDeck"

Postby Figaro » Wed May 07, 2014 10:40 am

I've been doing some basic HTML and CSS stuff for school (don't ask :| ) and its been making me think. Now for one, I know that using PHP is "where its at", and both these management solutions are based around PHP. BUT, what are the differences? I know that Narendran created FlightDeck from scratch so he'll know it inside out, but Global, BRT and other VAs (think of all the VAs in our fellow Flight Simulation programs) use PHPvms so I'd like to see what their opinions are.

Some points I'd like answered, if possible:

Customizability - I mean this in the sense that how easy is it to create a custom page, such as to show off the airlines fleet (like Merlion has, with an image of the aircraft, its name, how many are used etc.), or to show a GCMap preview and image of the aircraft in each flight search listing?
    User Friendliness - How easy/difficult is it to "mash" with a HTML/CSS template to make a good looking, yet functional website?
    Capability - Can either of the systems search for multi-legged flights? (i.e. search for a flight (flights) from Amsterdam to Brisbane)
    Difficulty - Not as big of an issue, but is one easier to work with than the other?

If I think of anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask, but if any of the experienced people in the FlightGear virtual airline community could enlighten me, that would be fabulous.

Cheers,
Sam.
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Re: PHPvms vs "FlightDeck"

Postby Hooray » Wed May 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Unlike HTML and CSS, php is an actual programming language. HTML only supports programming through the use of JavaScript, which runs client-side (i.e. inside the browser), while php code will typically run on the server side. Dynamic and interactive features like a map will be typically implemented through a combination of both: server-side code, including DHTML (dynamic html) using lots of fancy JavaScript that makes calls to which the server responds, e.g. with a certain image. This sort of stuff is typically done via AJAX. Php files can easily support HTML and even CSS embedded "inline", there are special tags to tell the php interpreter whenever something is to be interpreted verbatim or as code. In other words, a conventional html file with embedded css can be easily used as a php file just by renaming it - to add php code, you would embed stuff like:
<?php
print("Hello World");
?>
somewhere in the file, e.g. in between the <title></title> tag.
Once run through a php interpreter, the code will be run and its output will be added in between those title tags.

"searching" flights would be something that would be implemented through server-side code, not via DHTML/JavaScript or CSS, i.e. you would be more likely to use php for something like that.

In general, it will be easier to use an existing CMS (content management system) like WordPress or Drupal (both php-based) and extend it as needed, e.g. by coming up with a plugin for VA purposes.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby omega95 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:06 am

Figaro,

"Flightdeck" is based of the php framework "codeigniter" and messing with that will help you understand php better. Here's some information on the criteria you're looking at.

Customizability - the reason I made the system from scratch was so that it is limitless. You can add anything you want directly to the program or use the custom pages system. It comes with an inbuilt editor in the admin center.

User-friendliness - unfortunately, I never got around to making the system friendly for an end user. I never thought anyone else would be interested in it so I didn't bother.

Also, you can download themes for phpvms but none are available for flightdeck.

Capability - yes, flightdeck can search for multi-legged flights. Another unique capability I spent a while on is the booking system. You can book flights on a icao form. It also shows you a map of your route and has an in built tracker connected to the fgmap. I also made a custom tracker and forum in the system which you can downloadan add-on for.

Difficulty - so didn't get around to making this for others yet, it's not very easy to use without php knowledge.

VERDICT -

If you just want to make a va website that works and finish it quick and easy, go with phpvms.

If you really want to learn php and mess with some features our add features yourself, try flightdeck. Now, you can't really download flightdeck but let me know if you want to check it out and I can package what I have so far.
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby ja sam niko » Sat May 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Can I jump in here?

I 'm planing to put my VA at the paid php hosting,which I hope will make available to have a proper VA web ,so if and when I get it,could you help me out to build the site ,using this system,FlightDeck?

Correct me if I'm wrong,but if that system is used at Merlion web,then I have only one thing to say-Fantastic. :D After seeing a loooot of VA web sites,that one is just amazing.

Cheers
The worst floods in the Balkans ever,follow these links to learn more how to help. Thank you.
http://www.google.org/crisisresponse/2014-balkans-floods

http://www.mvp.gov.ba/HTML/eng-help.pdf
ja sam niko
Retired

Callsign: ex FGRS,now UAV001
Version: 2.8

Postby omega95 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey,

I'm really sorry but I don't work on flightgear projects or merlion anymore - I don't really have much time. Like I mentioned earlier, flightdeck is for those who want to experiment with php our have good knowledge of it.
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Return to Virtual airlines