Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

Adding ADF2 to the DHC-6 Twin Otter!

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Adding ADF2 to the DHC-6 Twin Otter!

Postby Simworld2020 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:26 pm

I love flying the Twin Otter up in the arctic regions of northern Canada.
Up there, it's a good idea to have two ADF receivers in your aircraft!

The Twin Otter has only 1 ADF receiver, so I added a second ADF receiver to the aircraft.

I had success on my own computer and installation (FG 2020.3.3), so I am sharing it here. Maybe others will find it useful, maybe technical people will point out any errors in my installation.

I fly two versions of the Twin Otter: First, the FGADDON stable version, then the version from PirateAir/SurferTim.

I installed ADF2 into each version, and made a zip file containing each installation, and put the file into my Dropbox for sharing.

The link to the zip file is :

Link removed by author, see edit #3

The MD5 Checksum for the zip file is :

D308143FF3FB8D76C7BC80719DBB0A26

In that zip file you will find two folders, one for the FGADDON STABLE modification, and one for the PirateAir/SurferTim modification.

I get so much fun out of flying the Twin Otter IFR on Flightgear, I hope my modification will be helpful for other pilots, I'm sure it will be helpful for IFR pilots flying in NDB rich locations.

I hope that others will review the files and give feedback, I would like to know if my mods work for others, and if they are correct and done properly.

Screenshots (testing remote image hosting, I add two screenshots here, I hope everyone can see them ) :

Screenshot links 1 and 2 removed by author, see edit #3.

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

EDIT: after reading my own post, I cannot see either of my screenshots. If you cannot see either of my screenshots and you know how to post images here in the forum, please tell me how thanks!

EDIT #2: Thank you wkitty42 for telling me how to post images here, it's working now.

EDIT #3: After reading more through the forum posts and wikis, I don't think I should have posted modifications to aircraft written or managed by others without having first contacted them. That makes perfect sense, I should have known it. Sorry for the mistake, peace out.
Last edited by Simworld2020 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Flying the Cessna 172p and the DHC-6 Twin Otter.
Simworld2020

Re: Adding ADF2 to the DHC-6 Twin Otter!

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Simworld2020 wrote in Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:26 pm:EDIT: after reading my own post, I cannot see either of my screenshots. If you cannot see either of my screenshots and you know how to post images here in the forum, please tell me how thanks!

on your dropbox one, change the 0 (zero) at the end to 1 (one)... for the imgur one, you have to right click on the image and use the direct link provided where from "copy image location"...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: Adding ADF2 to the DHC-6 Twin Otter!

Postby Simworld2020 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 pm

to wkitty42 thank you! The screenshots are visible now in the post.
Flying the Cessna 172p and the DHC-6 Twin Otter.
Simworld2020

Return to Cockpit development