Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

Photogrametry- first steps.

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Photogrametry- first steps.

Postby Alant » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I have been experimenting with photgrametry to get a cockpit model.
Last summer I was able to get inside the TSR2 pressure test cockpit at Brooklands Museum (it helps if you have known the director for nearly 30 years) and took over 120 pictures inside the pilot and navigator compartments.
This cockpit shell was built on the aircraft production line. Inside it has wooden panels in place of the instruments and alloy panels.
It was built to enable the cabin and avionics pressurisation and air conditioning systems to be tested.
Here is my first attempt and I am on bottom of the learning curve. The mesh imports to Blender so can be used as a basi for an accurate .ac model.
My toolchain is Colmap, OpenMVS, Meshlab, Blender.
This type of photogrametry can not find many matchable features on flat surfaces, so the panels would come out better on a real instrument panel which has more detail. On the other hand the photgrametry would likely have problems in a real cockpit with reflections from glass surfaces.
See the model at https://skfb.ly/6y6SW
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Re: Photogrametry- first steps.

Postby Michat » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Super cool Alant. Can't wait to see more.

29.92 for you.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi Alan,

That's very neat. Just being able to use something like that to get the broad geometry of a cockpit right without having to measure everything would be massively advantageous. Particularly for military aircraft where the cockpit is a complex shape.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Alant » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:19 pm

The view on Sketchfab is of much reduced quality, to keep the size within their free user limits. The original is amazing when I look at details such as the canopy clamps. With this dataset it only falls down on bland areas such as the panels.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Return to Cockpit development