Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet Instruments Giveaway

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet Instruments Giveaway

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:41 am

Hi all!

Not all, but all developers of aircraft of origin mentioned above! :wink: (Just kidding, see below)
I make an Antonov (AN-24) cockpit, which has a lot of common instruments, switches, knobs, etc which can be
found in other R/U/S aircraft too, like
Tupolev, Ilyushin, Yak, Antonov, MiG, Sukhoi...

I have already seen in other FG planes (like the TU-134 e.g.) some instruments that I have made, too! Redundant work! Damn!
So wouldn't it be a good idea to somehow pool our resources? A simple list of our R/U/S planes, whether on FG-Addon,
FG-Members or other repositories would be start, I think.

We already have an "official" generic instruments collection in FG, would it make sense to have an "inofficial" generic instruments,
switches, etc collection somewhere else? - Of British, US etc airplanes, e.g.?
Tell me what you think!

Ciao,

Adrian

P.S.: Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!
Think IT'S A GOOD IDEA!...
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Re: Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet Instruments Giveaway

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:48 am

Uhumm, forgot to post my giveaway:
https://github.com/maerchenprinz/an24b
or
git clone https://github.com/maerchenprinz/an24b.git

Ciao again,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Postby bugman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 am

If instruments are truly shared and generic, then you would add it here:

It might require some initiative on your part though ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Edward!

$FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Instruments-3d?
That's exactly what I meant with "FG generic instruments"! Their purpose is rather to facilitate first steps for newbies
or to give good examples of how to or to have common grounds for developers and such. Swamping this repository with instruments
of any kind of any philosophy (texture/model size, xml or nasal style) would definetely destroy that idea.
So my idea is to have an "outside-of-fg" database to not interfere with that. It could be basically like our fgaddon/Aircraft repository:
Want a 707! No need to write it yourself, there's already one in there! Want a UVO-15 altimeter? No need to... You get the idea! :)

I'm just not really sure how to realize that; A git-repository with .ac, .png, .xml, .nas, pdf, open to everyone, or a simple list of
instruments (switches, systems...) and a link where to download the corresponding aircraft, or something in between?
Just collecting ideas, when I see a good one, I will take the initiative! 8)

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Maerchenprinz wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:15 pm:$FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Instruments-3d?
That's exactly what I meant with "FG generic instruments"! Their purpose is rather to facilitate first steps for newbies
or to give good examples of how to or to have common grounds for developers and such.

ummm... no... the purpose of $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Instruments-3d is to prevent duplication of effort (aka reinventing the wheel) as well as to provide a central area where all craft can draw their common/generic instruments from... it has nothing to do with newbies or examples other than providing something others can follow but the whole sim code is like that, anyway... it is a space saving thing... if 40 craft use the same model radio, why should all 40 of them have their own implementation instead of using a single shared one...

PS: if the instruments are "rough", clean them up and resubmit them so everyone and all craft using them can benefit ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bugman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 pm

@Adrian: As wkitty said, you have the concept of the FlightGear shared models folders all wrong (instruments-3d, etc.). You might have the wrong impression of it, as FlightGear is now 20 years old and hence some of this collection is very old. But there are some very advanced shared systems going in there as well. But this official collection is only good if people continue to contribute for the benefit of others, as has always been done.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:05 am

I have also improved the devices from Collins and it will be nice, if the devices under $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Instruments-3d/ are also updated.
But i have a question. The devices need filters for correct working. Is it possible to set a filter.xml in the same directory as the other files for that device resist and we must only bind in the filter-file?
Actually, i have inserted the filters in the 'instrument-filters.xml' from the airplain. But with every new filter, the file is growing fast and if someone want use the same instruments, he/she must also copy some lines from a file elsewhere.
I think the best way is, that every device has his own files an we must only include it.
This means, we must only write one include line in the 'instrument-filters.xml' to include the filters of a device (if the device have one).
Is this possible?
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 am

Hello agaiin!

I WANT TO SPEAK IN MY NATIVE LANGUAGE BECAUSE NOONE SEEMS TO UNDERSTAND!!!!! AND TWO MORE: !!

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm:ummm... no... the purpose of $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Instruments-3d is to prevent duplication of effort (aka reinventing the wheel) as well as to provide a central area where all craft can draw their common/generic instruments from...

I DIDN'T WRITE THAT (THOUGH I WROTE "common grounds for developers AND SUCH") BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WOULD DUPLICATE WHAT WAS CLEAR ANYWAY! READ MY FIRST POST AND SEE THAT IT IS ALL ABOUT N_O_T HAVING TO "REINVENT THE WHEEL"!

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm:it has nothing to do with newbies or examples other than providing something others can follow but the whole sim code is like that, anyway... it is a space saving thing...

it has something to do with newbies and examples, at least for me it had, a decade ago, when I was a newbie; and yes, it's FIRST (KEY BROKEN AGAIN!) purpose is what you wrote, not the only one... But that doesn't matter anyway! Why does everyone seems to think that I'm offending the poor Instruments-3d folder? I like it!

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm:PS: if the instruments are "rough", clean them up and resubmit them so everyone and all craft using them can benefit ;)

I don't get it... I never used the word "rough" nor did I complain about FG-infrastructure, nor did I say something like
"do it for me" (read my second post).

I just don't get it,,,

bugman wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 pm:@Adrian: As wkitty said, you have the concept of the FlightGear shared models folders all wrong

No, wkitty got me wrong. And thanks for making me understand the concept of gossip.

All I wanted was that we put together some thoughts about the basic idea of having a database of instruments
or something, like we have generic-useful, fgaddon, fgmembers, forum entries about enhanced airports, fg-wiki articles
about interesting places to fly etc. All good things! And I thought "wouldn't it be a good idea to have something like this
with instruments?", and I wrote a post... And I read the replies; And my heart broke, and now it's 10:15 on a saturday
night, and I'm sitting here and having to defend myself of something I never wrote. At least the tap's not dripping.
(It's actually 1:30 already, on a sunday morning; just couldn't resist. :D )
About to hit the Fascination Street on this Strange Day, so

Bye and having all of you Close to Me,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Postby Thorsten » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 am

I make an Antonov (AN-24) cockpit, which has a lot of common instruments, switches, knobs, etc which can be
found in other R/U/S aircraft too, like
Tupolev, Ilyushin, Yak, Antonov, MiG, Sukhoi...

I have already seen in other FG planes (like the TU-134 e.g.) some instruments that I have made, too! Redundant work! Damn!
So wouldn't it be a good idea to somehow pool our resources?

Yes, it would be a very good idea, which is why the FG developers had it more than a decade ago already - the common database of instruments IS $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Instruments-3d.

If you put your instrument there, the creator of the TU-134 can just include it from there - no duplication of work or storage space.

Why is that a problem for you if people tell you that's how it's supposed to work?
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:50 am

There's no need to stress or defend yourself. You said:

Maerchenprinz wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:41 am:So wouldn't it be a good idea to somehow pool our resources

Maybe you missed the point of the replies. This is a great idea, and it already exists. It just needs people like yourself to improve and expand it.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Maerchenprinz wrote in Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 am:No, wkitty got me wrong.

my apologies if i misunderstood you... the paragraph read as if you thought those instruments were there only for starting with and as examples to learn from... the language barrier has struck again :(

Maerchenprinz wrote in Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 am:And thanks for making me understand the concept of gossip.

in this case, it was more a language translation problem than the "gossip game" but yes, the same can happen :lol:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Maerchenprinz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:40 am

Hi!

I have posted a request on the flightgear-devel@lists now to understand how to include my instruments into /3d-instruments... Waiting.

Did anyone understand my "The Cure"-hints (10:15, Close to Me?, etc) :)

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Return to Cockpit development