Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

A330-200 with Canvas and other features

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Re: A330-200 with Canvas and other features

Postby artix » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:15 am

OE-PH1 wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:58 am:
We have still problems in MultiPlayer mode: the empty.ac - error persists (see previous posts), also that others can't see my livery or my lights. Maybe you want to have a look on it, especially the emtpy.ac error drives others mad because it causes some crashes of flightgear.

I think that multiplayer is not currently fully supported. I've never tested it, but i will, i promise.

OE-PH1 wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:58 am:
The lower the weight, the lower is landing speed. Otherwise, when too fast, AoA (angel of attack) would be too high and will cause the THR LVR mode automatically. If speed is too low, Alpha Floor protection will take place.

I really cannot understand this. THR LVR never engages "automatically". THR LVR just means that you manually move thrust levers below the CLB detents while auto-thrust is engaged. This is done intentionally and it is used to limit the maximum thrust while flying with auto-thrust under some particular circumstances.
In real life, just moving the thrust levers below CLB detent should activate the THR LVR mode. On my A330 you need to move them under 50% of the levers' course, in order to prevent THR LVR engagement using common joysticks, because joysticks do not have "detents" while Airbus thrust levers have them.
So i believe that you activated THR LVR by moving the thrust levers while the auto-thrust was engaged.
THR LVR is different from A. FLOOR and completely unrelated to it (except from the fact that activating THR LVR can limit maximum thrust and lead the aircraft to stall). A. FLOOR automatically engages to prevent the aircraft stalling because of the speed.
As for the landing issues: i know that the approach speed calculation is not completely correct at the moment (it just takes care of the gross weight, but it does not considers the wind) and i have to improve it, but this should only affect auto-landing. However i have to make some test.

Thank you for your reports, please keep updating the aircraft by periodically checking the repository.
Have a nice flight!
artix

Postby OE-PH1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Dear artix,
thank you for your quick and interesting answer. Especially the fact that you will have a look at the multiplayer (blank.ac) issue made us all happy!

Now, let me add a few points.

git feb 14: seems to have a problem with AP: even with AP engaged it is still possible to fly manually. resetting FMGC loop will help sometimes, but when changing any settings AP messes up again.

here you can see a screenshot from what I was describing last time after the plane disconnected from ILS.

Today, I discovered a similar problem, but not exactly the same. FOB was 18800, so this shouldn't have been the reason. I used the git feb 09 version, because feb 14 is buggy (see #1)
This is what I did:
Approach to EHAM, RWY 06
- AP engaged, speed 180, heading 090, flaps 1, LOC to ILS
- reduce speed 160, flaps 2, glidepath coming in
- reduce speed 142, flaps 3, gear down, ILS fully established (looked like this: http://www.efbdesktop.com/nav-autofligh ... .3.10.html)
- set altimeter to 200, heading to 57 for goaround
then suddenly, without touching anything:
-> THR CLB was announced (like this: http://www.efbdesktop.com/nav-autofligh ... 3.3.5.html), thrust increasing, ILS disconnected
-> the only solution is to disengage AP, then SPEED is announced, but engaging AP will always cause the THR CLB
- so I had to make the final approach visually.

strange, isn't it?

Oh and I am really willing to contribute or help, but I don't know how to do all these nasal / xml scripts. But if there is anything else, please let me know.
thank you!
I am a member of the A330 dev team
OE-PH1

Callsign: OE-PH1
Version: 2016.4

Postby artix » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:02 am

Thank you for your report OE-PH1.
Just a question: did you set the Cruise Altitude in the mCDU?
And in case you did, did you normally reach cruise altitude during your flight and than did you start descent?
It seems the FMGC still thinks that you're in climb phase: in your screenshot, vertical mode is set to SRS below acceleration altitude (1500 ft AGL) and the DECELERATE message is displayed on the PFD. This simply means that you didn't fly the CRUISE phase and that FMGC still thinks you must reach the cruise phase.
Obviously this condition is showing a bug, because even if the cruise and the descent phase were not achieved, pushing the APPR button should always engage the approach phase.
However this is not the normal flight procedure. In a regular flight, normal phases should be: takeoff -> climb phase -> cruise phase -> descent phase and finally the approach/landing phase.
Also please do not use FG route-manager to create your flight-plan. Use the A330 mCDU instrument instead: init your flight plan and set the cruise altitude. Then just add your waypoints using the f-plan page and activate your flight-plan.

As for the THR LVR issue: it never engages automatically. As i already wrote in my last post, THR LVR means that your thrust levers are BELOW the climb detent.
Take a look at the thrust levers, you will see that there are different detents marked beside the lever itself. On Airbus aircrafts, moving thrust levers activates/arms or deactivates autothrust.
Moving levers above the CL detent arms the autothrust, while moving them to IDLE detent (0) disengages autothrust. When the autothrust is armed, moving levers in the range between IDLE (0) and CLB engages the autothrust.
But normally, when the autothrust is active, levers should always be in the CL detent. Moving levers below CL limits the maximum thrust applied by autothrust. So i believe that you accidentally move the levers below the CL detent (actually in the simulator is below 50%). Are you flying using a Joystick or keyboard?
If you're flying with joystick maybe it could be a configuration problem of your joystick that sends the wrong levers position.
While flying with autothrust you should never move the thrust levers, except you want to disengage autothrust.

I hope thi swill help you.
I will try to fix all other bugs.

Thank you again!
artix

Postby OE-PH1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 am

Dear artix,
thank you for being patient with me and my problems.

Now, as you are going into the deep, I will do the same:

starting APU, then:

INIT:
insert route: for example: EDDF/EHAM, then select my predefined company route. I have no altitudes in my route.
then insert flight number (PH123), cost index (35), CRZ FL/TEMP (280/-25)
-> init fuel prediction: 0/10 for RTE RSV and 30 blocks (24000 kg requested fuel quantity)

PERF:
set V1, VR, V2, (140, 145, 155) (just a guess)
i leave the settins of the other phases as they are.

PROG:
set EHAM

F-PLAN
so, I have the route already inserted at INIT by selecting my company route.

the only thing is: I insert the RWY and SID in the FG route-manager, because when doing this in the mCDU the waypoints of the SID won't show up. But sometimes I need these points to be shown in my flightplan, for example in order to fly direct to a point or so.

Now, lights, pushback, starting engines, turn off APU, taxiing, lining up on runway
takeoff: speed, nav to managed, alt to cruise altitude
thrust levers to TOGA, takeoff, gear up, AP on, then when stable flaps 0. after a while thrust levers back to CLB.
climb: everything at same position, plane follows the route. speed up to 320 for example.
cruise: after a while plane reaches the cruise altitude and follows the route.

Then, after a while it is time to start descending. And I guess here the problem begins.
Normally I know that I have to pass a certain waypoint at 12000 for example. I want to descent with 1600 fpm, so I know where to start my descend. But when I set altitude to 12000 and VS to 1600 nothing happens. I have to reduce speed down to 250 or initiate the descent manually by switching off AP and after descend is stable engaging AP again.
I guess this is wrong?
- How do I get into descend mode properly in order to reach a certain waypoint at given altitude?
- Or just to change flight level (sometimes requested by ATC)?

But I have to say again: I never ever touch the thrust lever at any time. I know that Airbus' philosophy is: CLB for the whole route, even when descending or landing. Because CLB means: auto thrust "available up to" climb. By the way, I am flying with joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.

Thanks again for your patience and reading thru all my stuff here.
best regards!
OE-PH1

Postby artix » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:00 pm

OE-PH1 wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 am:
the only thing is: I insert the RWY and SID in the FG route-manager, because when doing this in the mCDU the waypoints of the SID won't show up. But sometimes I need these points to be shown in my flightplan, for example in order to fly direct to a point or so.

At the moment you should only use the DEFAULT SID/STAR, because the other are not well supported (and they're not supported by the ND). I will fix this in the future, but for the moment use DEFAULT for SID and STAR.

OE-PH1 wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 am:
Then, after a while it is time to start descending. And I guess here the problem begins.
Normally I know that I have to pass a certain waypoint at 12000 for example. I want to descent with 1600 fpm, so I know where to start my descend. But when I set altitude to 12000 and VS to 1600 nothing happens. I have to reduce speed down to 250 or initiate the descent manually by switching off AP and after descend is stable engaging AP again.
I guess this is wrong?
- How do I get into descend mode properly in order to reach a certain waypoint at given altitude?
- Or just to change flight level (sometimes requested by ATC)?

First of all, you should initiate your descent around the TD (Top of Descent) point: it's marked on the flight-plan (take a look at the Nav Display) by a white arrow pointing down, on the right side of the route track line.
You can start the descent before, at or after the TD point.
In order to start your descent you have to select a lower altitude on the FCU: just rotate the Altitude knob on the FCU and select a lower altitude (lower than current altitude).
In order to make the FCU more realistic I changed the way you interact with it. Just selecting a different altitude does not automatically engage the descent (or climb if your climbing) mode: you have to select a vertical mode. You can choose DES mode (managed descent), OP DES (open descent) or VS/FPA mode.
After you have selected a lower altitude, if you want to engage DES mode you must push the knob by shift-clicking it. If you want to descent in OP DES mode you have to pull the knob with ALT+SHIFT+CLICK.
If you want to descent in VS/FPA mode you must select a vertical speed using the right-most knob on the FCU and then pull the VS knob with ALT+SHIFT+CLICK.
DES mode will let you descent to the selected FCU altitude taking into account every altitude constraint set in the flight-plan that is higher than the FCU selected altitude.
OP DES mode will let you descent to the selected FCU alt ignoring all the constraints. VS/FPA mode will let you descent to the FCU alt by manually selecting the vertical speed (or the flight path angle if you're flying in FPA mode).
Both DES and OP DES will set the autothrust to THR IDLE and the speed will be managed by the pitch. VS/FPA will use the pitch to mantain the selected VS or FPA and will set the autothrust to SPEED/MACH mode.

I know that the SHIFT+CLICK and ALT+SHIFT+CLICK are not the best way to interact with the FCU, but i didn't manage to handle the push/pull interaction in a different way, because FG currently inhibits the use of the right click (this would be the best option) to interact with knobs and buttons.
However, you're free to can change this interaction mode in the configuration dialog (Menu -> A330-203 -> Configuration): the alternative configuration ("Shift to rotate knobs") allows you to use the SHIFT+DRAG to rotate the knob and CLICK to push/ALT-CLICK to pull. Select it if you're more comfortable with this interaction.

OE-PH1 wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 am:But I have to say again: I never ever touch the thrust lever at any time. I know that Airbus' philosophy is: CLB for the whole route, even when descending or landing. Because CLB means: auto thrust "available up to" climb. By the way, I am flying with joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.

Maybe it's some issue related to your Joystick configuration. Try to fly with keyboard (unplug the joystick before) and see if the THR LVR problem persists.
Furthermore it could be useful if you could send me your Joystick config. file, I could use it in order to fix the issue.
You can see the joystick config. file path in the Joystick configuration Dialog (Menu Help -> Joystick Configuration). Alternatively try to find it in $FGHOME/Input/Joysticks/ directory.

I hope this helped you.
artix

Postby OE-PH1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Dear artix,
thank you for your helping answer. It seems, that my problem has to do with entering / not entering the different flight phases, as you described. But there is still some testing needed, because it seems to me that this doesn't work always. But I will find out. Thank you!

SHIFT+CLICK: for me, it's a good solution, because for me it works fine with SHIFT+scroll-wheel-UP and SHIFT+scroll-wheel-DOWN.

I just downloaded the feb 17 version, but autopilot is still not working properly. Once you switch to NAV mode, AP gets messed up completely. Joystick still controls horizontal direction, but not vertical, and switching back to HDG mode freezes the AP. A FMGC-loop-reset helps and then switching to NAV mode will mess it up again. I guess you know this bug - I just wanted to report.

your "test pilot" ;-)
OE-PH1

Postby artix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:43 pm

I never experienced these bugs, and i've made a lot of flights. Just yesterday i tested the joystick issue and it did not control horizontal direction while AP was engaged.
I never had problems with NAV mode, it always works fine on my tests with the aircraft correctly following the planned route.
At this point, i need some further info in order to investigate the bugs you're reporting.
First of all, what version of FG are you using?
In addition, could you send me your log file and your joystick configuration file?
Without these info i cannot help you and i cannot discover any hidden bug, because when i fly i never experienced these bugs, except for the SRS engaging during approach phase that was fixed in the feb 17 commit.

Thank you.
Last edited by Johan G on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please
artix

Postby artix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 pm

Sorry, my fault, i was testing the aircraft on FG 3.5 and i saw that some API is not available on previous versions.
I will fix the issue ASAP, keep updated...
artix

Postby artix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Last commit on gitorious fixes the FMGC/NAV issue that caused wrong NAV guidance and joystick/AP issue.
artix

Postby OE-PH1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:19 pm

Dear artix!
I downloaded the latest version and was flying for 5 hours now - everything works fine! It's a really new experience now. Thank you so much! And all my previous problems seem to be solved now!

two questions:
1. the WXL feature.. I got a free API key from the website, but: where do I see the weather radar displayed?
2. I don't know how this is solved in real life, but: when the plane follows a route and has to turn at a waypoint, the plane "overshoots" the turn especially with high speeds and narrow turns. The reason is because the plane starts to turn almost exactly at the waypoint. I wonder if it would be possible to have the plane turn before reaching the waypoint in relation to its speed so that the route would be kind of "smoother".
BTW: The new feature that the plane turns back to the route is really nice!

Thank you so much for your great work!
OE-PH1

Postby artix » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:59 am

OE-PH1 wrote in Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:19 pm:1. the WXL feature.. I got a free API key from the website, but: where do I see the weather radar displayed?

You should see the weather radar displayed on the ND except when the ND itself is in PLAN mode. Obviously you don't see anything if the weather is fair. Try to raise the ND range to the maximum, it's possible to see some storm that could be far from you.
Keep in mind that WXR Live fetches real weather conditions, so changing weather settings into FG does not affect WXL. Also make sure you've correctly stored the API Key into the WXR Live dialog.

OE-PH1 wrote in Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:19 pm:2. I don't know how this is solved in real life, but: when the plane follows a route and has to turn at a waypoint, the plane "overshoots" the turn especially with high speeds and narrow turns. The reason is because the plane starts to turn almost exactly at the waypoint. I wonder if it would be possible to have the plane turn before reaching the waypoint in relation to its speed so that the route would be kind of "smoother".

The plane is currently set to start the turn 1nm before the waypoint, i don't know how the A330 manages this in real life.
In real life i'm not a pilot :) but i think that narrow turns should be performed at lower speeds (ie. in SID where the speed is usually lower).
artix

Postby OE-PH1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 am

Okay, let's see what will happen when weather changes :)

I did a quick research on flying over waypoints and how this is done in real life.

There are 2 types of waypoints: the "overfly" and the "normal". When a waypoint is marked as "overfly", for example as in SIDs, the turn has to start exactly AT the waypoint, not before, and not after. With normal waypoints the turn should start before the waypoint in order to fly a smooth track. The distance depends on speed. Your suggestion to fly narrow turns at lower speed is not a nice solution, especially when flying at cruising altitude with eg 320 kts. I would have to brake down to 220 kts, turn, and then speed up again.

I found an interesting link dealing with that problem, describing more detailed what I said above.
http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/63302-axe-problem-fly-over-waypoints/

I think that it would be easy to calculate the distance to the waypoint where the turn has to start, when speed, banking limit and angle of turn is known. Distance would be a direct function of speed and angle, with 0 at 180 degrees and up to a certain maximum when angle less than eg. 90 degrees
Maybe this would be a suggestion for further improvements?

greetings!
OE-PH1

Postby TICO » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:30 am

Hello, sorry for my idiomatic limitation, this manual contains many answers and solutions, the parameters of flight needed to enjoy this new A330 model.

http://www.dream-air.ru/new/pilotam/A330_meta-1-.pdf

I do not know if my computer, or a defect in development mode rembrand lights, look black, hampering the final approach, making the need to change the night vision, vision noon.

Thanks for your good work.
Last edited by TICO on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TICO

Callsign: TICO
Version: 3.2.0

Postby Johan G » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 am

OE-PH1 wrote in Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 am:I think that it would be easy to calculate the distance to the waypoint where the turn has to start, when speed, banking limit and angle of turn is known. Distance would be a direct function of speed and angle, with 0 at 180 degrees and up to a certain maximum when angle less than eg. 90 degrees

It is at least relatively easy. A Google search for "'bank angle' airspeed 'rate of turn'" yields some results of interest:

It is interesting to note that it seems that there are four different turn rate scenarios, none of them exceeding 30 deg bank angle (or 25 deg if a flight director/autopilot is used):

1. Standard rate turn (3 deg/s or 2 min/360 deg) (common for general aviation aircraft)
  2. Half rate turn (1.5 deg/s or 4 min/360 deg)
  3. 25 deg bank angle (provided a flight director/autopilot is used, which is the usual case)
  4. 30 deg bank angle
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:03 am

Please note that James has done a lot of work recently on the route manager, to support these different kind of waypoints, turn prediction etc. I don't know whether the A330 makes use of it (I remember some of the Airbuses using a Nasal system), but if it does it should have that working in 3.4.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

PreviousNext

Return to Cockpit development