Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

A330-200 with Canvas and other features

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Re: A330-200 with Canvas and other features

Postby artix » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 pm

I will mainly focus on two fronts: i will start to generalize and abstract my ND implementation in order to put it into a separate branch on the "Canvas Hackers" FGDATA clone. I should check which elements of the A330 ND are common to other Airbus aircrafts (ie. the A380). I guess that many elements and symbols should be the same.
On the other hand i will continue the code cleanup on my A330 fork in order to make it available also to users who do not have the latest FGDATA (i do not know if the "Canvas Hackers" clone will be shipped within the next FG release). Also consider that my A330 fork has many other features in addition to the canvas ND (such as the new flight modes for both AP and FD) and i'd like to continue their development and talk with Omega if he wants to integrate them into the original A330 and A380 (if A380 still use the same flight modes, i really don't know this). I've put a list of all the major features in the wiki article: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Airbus_A330-200_Series

But it's summer, and i will spend many days at the beach :) So my work will be a bit slow during August :)

As for the encapsuled properties: i totally agree with both of you (omega and hooray). I will create an Hash to map all the "hard-coded" props so that they can be easily customized for different aircrafts.

Thank you both for giving me access to Canvas Hackers repo and A380 repo. I'm very curious to take a look at the A380!
For the rest i'm glad to collaborate with Omega for the ND development.
artix

Postby Hooray » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:46 pm

yeah, 3.2 will contain all relevant changes that you can see in the canvas-hackers clone - there are just a few branches that contain "WIP" code that won't be included, but you guys haven't used any of those modules as far as I can see.

Also, don't worry: we've got another 6 months now to add new features because 3.2 is going to be out soon - so plenty of time to review new code and features and integrate them properly. And as long as you guys keep reviewing your own code mutually, you should be all set - omega95 seems to be able to flesh out new features very quickly, while artix seems to have mastered advanced Nasal/MapStructure basics pretty quickly - so you guys should be fine as long as you keep coding with a generic mindset, i.e. to support use-cases like:

• multiple independent instances per instrument/layer
  • different instruments/aircraft (i.e. with different AP/RM or NAV/COM dependencies)
  • the GUI use-case (see map-canvas.xml in $FG_ROOT/gui/dialogs)
  • styling (custom colors, fonts, symbols etc)
  • different position sources (aircraftpos.controller/NDSourceDriver)

None of this is rocket science or even very difficult - these are fairly basic things, but most people fail to keep all of them in mind, so that they end up coming up with instruments that only support a single use-case unfortunately.

But as long as people keep following a handful of guidelines, we can even easily support new use-cases, including even a standalone FGCanvas mode, without it involving a ton of porting work. Likewise, GUI dialogs for configuring weather or showing a GUI console, would then automatically be able to also support holding patterns, vertical profiles (VSD) and weather overlays.

And you really only need to know a subset of Nasal to apply these guidelines, and it will get you pretty far.
The main feat of the ND framework, and even MapStructure, is not so much its design (sorry, P. :mrgreen: ) - which isn't particularly "standard" or even elegant - the main accomplishment is its loose coupling, i.e. the decoupled nature of these modules makes it possible for people -who are interested in very different aircraft, avionics and use-cases, to still collaborate effectively, simply because things are so flexible. So these two "frameworks" are primarily collaboration enablers, because people that would normally not collaborate can all of a sudden easily work on a common code-base pretty easily.

People doing modern MFD-style avionics or any kind of mapping/charting displays should really have no reason NOT to use these frameworks - if something is missing, extending the framework is simple enough, and it means that your work is going to be used -and even maintained- by a number of contributors who have a track record doing similar stuff.

Obviously, there are quite a few other examples of great avionics developed in Nasal/Canvas, particularly the Avidyne Entegra R9 - but as long as those are non-generic and use-case specific (e.g. single aircraft), it is unlikely that fellow contributors will step up to help maintain such modules over time unfortunately. And re-implementing existing instruments on top of NavDisplay/MapStructure is a win/win for all parties involved, because there's less aircraft-specific code involved at some point.

The whole MVC separation established by the ND/MS frameworks allows people to collaborate despite possibly working with very different aircraft and instruments/avionics, which even includes people who don't do any aircraft/instrument development at all, but "merely" GUI dialogs like an instructor console for example.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby artix » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Hello Hooray and Omega, i've been away for the last month. Now i'm back and i'm starting to implement the Airbus ND on the canvas-hackers fgdata repository in order to make it more generalized and easily reusable on different Airbus aircrafts.
I've cloned both fgdata and fg source and I've successfully built FG from source.
Now i'm testing my implementation over FG3.3. Before starting the integration of the Airbus ND into the canvas framework i need to fix some little incompatibility that i've found in my implementation when running on FG3.3.

I will keep you updated about the overall development progress.
artix

Postby Hooray » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:44 pm

thanks for the update, let us know if you're getting stuck somewhere :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby dtlan201 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:29 pm

So brilliant ! Could you do the same think to A320neo
dtlan201

Callsign: MIA0774
Version: nightly

Postby Hooray » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:10 pm

that's omega95's work - and he's aware of this effort, if people collaborate according to the plans laid out here, artix's work can be easily reused on other Airbus aircraft - the main challenge here is makintg people collaborate properly by contributing their changes back to the team clone, so so that all changes can be integrated and merged upstream into fgdata/master
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby OE-PH1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 pm

Dear friends,
I am so happy with the new A330-200 updates! The plane is my all time favorite!

But I detected some points that might be good to have a look at it by you programmers (artix?):

1. TOGA
sometimes (not always), after performing a Go-Around with the TOGA thrust mode, it is not possible to leave the TOGA mode. it stucks in TOGA LK (or is there a trick to return to normal SPEED mode?)

2. NAV1
nav1 always shows ABC/99.9nm. When I want to know the DME I have to tune the same VOR in nav2. Is this real or just not implemented?

3. FLARE
when performing an ILS landing, after the dive the plane won't go into flare.

4. COM radio
the instrumentation.xml is missing the com radio implementation. I can fix that manually, but would be nice to have that fixed for next download.

5. NASAL error empty.ac
in multiplayer, the plane produces a nasal error at line 42 in empty.ac. This is strange, because there is no line 42 in emtpy.ac. And: this error causes a crash of other players' FG, which is very anoying for them. This should be fixed with high priority.

6. SID/STAR
waypoints <Type>ConstHdgtoAlt</Type> are not parsed correctly. The routemanager will stuck to such a waypoint and won't move forward to the next waypoint. (btw same with <Type>Intc</Type>). The only workaround so far is to remove these waypoints from procedures.xml.

I wish I could help with these problems myself, but my knowledge about FG programming is really poor and I wasn't able to figure out any helpful solutions.

Thank you all who will help to improve (or have hints how to deal with them)!
I am a member of the A330 dev team
OE-PH1

Callsign: OE-PH1
Version: 2016.4

Postby artix » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 pm

1. TOGA

The only way to disengage to TOGA lock (TOGA LK) is to disengage AutoThrust by pushing the FCU ATHR button. I have to check on the Airbus manuals if moving the levers also disengages the TOGA Lock.

2. NAV1

Yes, it's a known bug, i will fix it in the next days

3. FLARE

During an ILS approach FLARE should become armed after LAND mode engages and it should engage when the aircraft is below 50ft AGL. Remember that the arming/engaging condition for LAND/FLARE/ROLLOUT is that you have to enter in the approach phase by pushing the 'APPR' button on the FCU.

4. COM RADIO

Check out the latest updates: now there's a working radio panel on both sides of the Flight Deck

5. NASAL error empty.ac

I have to check this, i never tested the multiplayer mode.

6. SID/STAR

There's currently some bug in the STAR/SID system, for the moment you should always use 'DEFAULT' sid/star (they actually trigger the DEFAULT Flightgear's Route Manager sid/star). I have to fix this in the future.
artix

Postby OE-PH1 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Dear artix,
thank you for your quick answer, and a big THANK YOU for taking care of this wonderful plane!

Let me just add a few notes to your answers:

1. TOGA
I tried to push the ATHR button, but didn't disengage. Maybe it was a one-time-error, but I will keep trying.

2. NAV -> ok, I will wait

3. FLARE
Thank you for information. I will try this. But: I figured out that trying to land the plane just automatically will cause a touch-down before RWY treshold on many airports. I have to disengage AP and pull up the nose manually in order to touch down on the RWY. Seems that the dive is too deep? The autoland engages 50ft above ground, but without doing these corrections before manually I would miss the RWY...

4. COM
What I meant was: in instrumentation.xml the lines
<comm-radio>
<name>comm</name>
<number>0</number>
</comm-radio>

<comm-radio>
<name>comm</name>
<number>1</number>
</comm-radio>

are missing in order to hear the audio.

5. NASAL error -> ok, I will wait

6. SID/STAR -> ok, I will wait.

Thanks again for your great work!
Merry christmas!
OE-PH1

Postby PolyglotShon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am

Very very nice project!
Also i have a question..
I may sound dumb, but how do i turn on all of the PFD (all of these) :

i've tried the manual start , nothing seems to be working out.. the same result comes out with the autostart. :shock:
PolyglotShon

Postby artix » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:23 am

PolyglotShon wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am:Very very nice project!
Also i have a question..

i've tried the manual start , nothing seems to be working out.. the same result comes out with the autostart. :shock:

It seems that you have a bug that's breaking the ND display (it's all black in your screenshot).
What version of FlightGear are you running?
Could you send me your log.txt file?
artix

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 am

also, what version of the aircraft/ND code is this to begin with ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby PolyglotShon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 pm

artix wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:23 am:
PolyglotShon wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am:Very very nice project!
Also i have a question..

It seems that you have a bug that's breaking the ND display (it's all black in your screenshot).
What version of FlightGear are you running?
Could you send me your log.txt file?

I'm running FlightGear 2.12.
Where is the log.txt anyway?
I can't found it on bin/Win32

I'm also new about these things in FG.
Cheers mate.
PolyglotShon

Postby artix » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:35 pm

PolyglotShon wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 pm:I'm running FlightGear 2.12.
Where is the log.txt anyway?
I can't found it on bin/Win32

FlightGear 2.12 is outdated. My A330-200 version requires at least the 3.2 version.
The current stable version of FG is 3.2, and the 3.4 is going to be released in the next weeks.
Please, update your FlightGear version by downloading it from: http://www.flightgear.org/.
artix

Postby OE-PH1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:58 am

Dear artix!
Dear all A330 pilots!

As you might know from previous posts I am a big fan of your A330. I fly it nearly every day and so I am really glad about your new updates. Good work! Flying the A330 is so much fun!
Please, let me remark 2 points:

1st:
We have still problems in MultiPlayer mode: the empty.ac - error persists (see previous posts), also that others can't see my livery or my lights. Maybe you want to have a look on it, especially the emtpy.ac error drives others mad because it causes some crashes of flightgear.

2nd:
I would say that I am not a beginner of flying an airliner. Of course I am not an expert, but I have a friend who is a real A320 pilot and he tries to teach me to fly the A330 properly. Now to the point:
I have huge troubles landing the bird under certain circumstances: Let me expain in detail, this could make it better to understand:
Normally a low landing weight is preferred because fuel is limited (because of its costs). The lower the weight, the lower is landing speed. Otherwise, when too fast, AoA (angel of attack) would be too high and will cause the THR LVR mode automatically. If speed is too low, Alpha Floor protection will take place. This is all correct with your A330. Normally, even an almost empty plane (no passengers, no fuel) should be possible to land ;-)

But:
Your A330 is almost impossible to land when it gets too light. When FOB is about 10.000 or lower it becomes critical: I need to reduce speed (flaps full) more and more to avoid THR LVR until A FLOOR activates. There is no path in between. Even visually (without any AP) it's impossible to land. It feels like landing a paper folded plane ;-)
Headwind makes it even worse. Normally, the rule says: add 1/3 headwind to landing speed. Yesterday I tried to land EHAM with 17 kts headwind. FOB was 17.000 (because I knew the problem described above). At about 142 KIAS (135 + 6) (full flaps) and 1000 ft above ground THR LVR activates. I did 3 go-arounds until wind reduced to 12 kts in order to land the bird visually.

Maybe I am completely wrong and there is anything important I don't know about landing the A330. If so, please tell me what I should improve! (or: maybe something is wrong with your parameters?)

(if you want I can describe the full landing procedure, but I do it more or less as described in real A330 manual - and my A320 pilot friend tells me)
Thank you so much for your support!
OE-PH1

PreviousNext

Return to Cockpit development