Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

FG1000 ready for integration into aircraft

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Re: FG1000 ready for integration into aircraft

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:45 pm

For the changelog/newsletter and FG1000 article, it would be great to see a few more recent screen shots uploaded to the wiki.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Robertfm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 pm

I just about manage to load them to this site.
Robertfm

Postby openflight » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:36 am

Great looking panel, and I know a lot of work has been done on it, but the original design it is based on are those new light aircraft glass displays that leave a lot to be desired in terms of usability, and you can find some references for that.

Again it is the realism/usability thing, but the A320 Neo style design looks so much easier on the eyes, my eyes at least:

http://a320dp.com/A320_DP/panels.html

There are light aircraft panels designed with round dials, I like this one with its nice moving map display:

https://www.chiefaircraft.com/dynon-sv-hdx800.html

The square display with its square blue and brown areas as an artificial horizon is very difficult to track - the round edges of the traditional artificial horizon are much easier to interpret. If you do a cursory examination of how your eyes track the instrument, it may reveal something : I think the eye tracks the edges, so a wide screen with edges far apart is really tiresome.

My view :)
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby stuart » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi Openflight,

Well, the whole point of the FG1000 is that it's an emulation of the Garmin G1000. It's relative usability compared with a A320 EFIS or a Dynon system is somewhat irrelevant, as I'm seeking to simulate what is installed in specific aircraft.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Hooray » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:56 pm

openflight wrote in Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:36 am:There are light aircraft panels designed with round dials, I like this one with its nice moving map display:

https://www.chiefaircraft.com/dynon-sv-hdx800.html

Like Stuart said, that's a completely different device - the FG1000 is based on the G1000, and has been modeled after the manual.

Anyway, you could certainly consider the current FG1000 a "framework" to also support similar avionics like the SV-HDX800, and such an effort would certainly benefit the MFD/FG1000 codebases - in fact, Stuart mentioned previously on several occasions that he'd be supportive of any efforts to generalize/reuse the FG1000 to also support similar moving map devices

Finally, note that the synthetic terrain view (shown on the left hand side) cannot currently be implemented in Canvas space, not without first integrating the original canvas/view patches, which should probably be done by someone familiar with the compositor work, because it's conceptually related: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_View_Camera_Element

Also, for the terrain elevation view (shown on the right),we're currently using web services which is problematic due to mismatching data and due to the implicitly added requirement for people to be online when using such avionics, instead we should probably discuss porting Map.cxx (from atlas) to turn that into a ReaderWriter plugin for OSG, based on the existing Canvas::Image class, which already supports raster images - besides, we already have ReaderWriter plugins in simgear to handle STG/BTG files respectively: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Tile_Element
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby openflight » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:30 am

Like Stuart said, that's a completely different device - the FG1000 is based on the G1000, and has been modeled after the manual.

Anyway, you could certainly consider the current FG1000 a "framework" to also support similar avionics like the SV-HDX800, and such an effort would certainly benefit the MFD/FG1000 codebases - in fact, Stuart mentioned previously on several occasions that he'd be supportive of any efforts to generalize/reuse the FG1000 to also support similar moving map devices

Yes, did not mean to be critical, it's a great contribution, even for developing custom units.
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby Robertfm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Is there any possible way that the panels can be dragged to another monitor and or be resized if they are not modelled in a particular plane. I have mentioned this before but didn't receive an answer.
Robertfm

Postby Hooray » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 pm

Robertfm wrote in Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:42 pm:Is there any possible way that the panels can be dragged to another monitor and or be resized if they are not modelled in a particular plane. I have mentioned this before but didn't receive an answer.

This is a long-standing idea, i.e. supporting additonal OSG/OS windows for such canvas displays (GUI placements actually) - Tom and James originally talked about implementing this:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... /29609330/
Thomas Geymayer wrote:Support multiple views/windows:
Currently the GUI can only be placed inside one view/window (see
Docs/README.multiscreen) but it would be nice to be able to move
windows between views.

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... sg29592603
James Turner wrote:
one of the big problems of the FlightGear GUI is that it is "inside" the only and one main window. There is no possibility to have a separate window to not cover the main content, the scenery and the cockpit? This would make the GUI much more practical. I would really like to run flightgear with one window "view" and other windows for the program (options). This will improve the usability of all the menus, dialogs etc. a lot in my opinion.

This is an orthogonal issue - it can be solved by using multiple osg windows to contain whatever GUI solution we go with - canvas, osgWidget or PUI-port.

Or to put it another way - the actual hard part is running the widgets in the main OpenGL window - which *is* a requirement for full-screen apps and multi-monitor setups. (Some people have claimed otherwise, but I believe we need the option of 'in-window' UI for many cases).

So, this is a desirable feature, but doesn't dictate the choice of GUI technology. And can be done as a separate step from replacing PLIB.

In the meantime, Fernando created the Compositor framework.

In Canvas terms, this would be best implemented as a so called "canvas placement".
In FlightGear terms, this touches Tim's original CameraGroup work.

Pointers/details below (if in doubt, please do file a feature request):

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Popout_Windows
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Devel ... ve_Windows
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:CameraGroup_talks
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Compositor
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Robertfm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:06 pm

I understand the use of other windows, but what about resizing in existing window so it would fit in the cockpit. Free Air Map cannot only be moved between monitors but can be resized to sit in the cockpit.
Robertfm

Postby Hooray » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:13 pm

the FG1000 GUI window (dialog) can be dynamically resized already.

resizing the underlying canvas texture at runtime and/or the placement would be possible at the obvious cost of re-allocating the canvas/placement, but I don't think this is currently implemented - Tom actually mentioned this on the forum/devel list and in the sources using a //TODO?, referring to dynamic resizing support

I think the canvas pop-out would be more useful in the long-term, but it should be comparatively straight forward to resize/reposition a placement as needed, even though I believe a GUI dialog would seem like a good compromise ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Robertfm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:22 pm

With Free Air Map all you do is put cursor on a corner and drag it in or out then it can be moved to what ever position you want. In the FG1000 in the top left corner it says 100% which sort of suggests you should be able to alter that like say expanding or reducing the size of a picture.
Robertfm

Postby Hooray » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:59 pm

sure, use the border of the GUI window (dialog) and you can resize it as needed
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Robertfm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:02 pm

But you can't do that with the FG1000.
Robertfm

Postby Hooray » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:15 pm

yes you can, been doing that (resizing the window) for ages, because the default resolution would not fit on my netbook's screen
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Robertfm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Please explain how perhaps with pictures.
Robertfm

PreviousNext

Return to Cockpit development