Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

Concorde cockpit redesign

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Re: Concorde cockpit redesign

Postby V12 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 pm

This plane still has too many problems, sounds are on very end of the To-Do list...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby islandmonkey » Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm

V12 wrote in Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 pm:This plane still has too many problems, sounds are on very end of the To-Do list...

Oh I know that, +1 about the autopilot...it needs a bit of an overhaul as it does act a bit weird, but I suppose after too many hours of flying the plane in the simulator, it's something I have gotten used to. Not an excuse for some tweaks though! They are well needed Indeed. As well as stuff like properly 3D'ing the flight engineering panel. Some checklists would be nice as well, I wonder if the analog FBW system is already implemented and so on and so forth.

But I would like realistic sounds. I would indeed like to find some time and play around with making tones on Audacity. I created a somewhat realistic reproduction of the real warning chime for the plane some three years ago, which was the last time I was around here fully. I found godarklight's Concorde and wanted to make some extra amendments to it, but found I had neither the time, skill or effort required to implement things properly (a shame!). I think, in order to do this, I modified the piano tone from my KORG synthesiser, which unfortunately is now long gone. I'll see what I can do. I was just wondering if I could get any tips in terms of making the base sounds, and then how I could put them through various LADSPA effects to get the required sound. Here's the overspeed warning for example:

I think the easiest one to create will be autopilot disconnect. It requires the chopping-off of the A320 autopilot disconnect warning to the initial chime and that's it.
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY
Version: 2018.3

Postby Johan G » Wed May 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Some posts were split off to the new topic Advanced Weather debugging in the Concorde.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby V12 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:51 am

I got quick course about PID controllers setups from my collegue PLC programmer and now I'm playing with PID controllers for XML autopilot. First success is smooth working AP mode IP - speed with variable pitch. I reworked controller and achieved nice behaviour of this mode. Next step - I have nice working MaxClimb mode - it is defacto speed with pitch but with variable target speed. Standard speed with pitch has target speed fixed to speed in the mode activation time. I had this function made in NASAL, worked fine, but not realistic. Last reworked mode is MaxCruise, this is defacto vertical speed mode with climb rate fixed on 50-70 fpm. This is in W.I.P. stage, but should be good. I need more test flights.
V12

Postby V12 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Hmmm, I was not able fine tune controllers for MaxClimb and MaxCruise mode, this functions are reverted back to Nasal :(
V12

Postby abassign » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:18 am

Actually with JSBSim. It does very well, I made the core for managing the functions you require without major problems. The management of the speed with the angle of incidence is not easy since the resistance of the aircraft is a non-linear function with the angle of incidence with respect to the air. But with a good job of fine tuning it is possible to obtain excellent results with the PID.

https://github.com/abassign/G91-R1B_HD/blob/master/Systems/G91-autopilot.xml

The algorithm start from switch at line 274
end the PID is definited from the line 653 with other functions.

You will notice that the parameters of the PID are variable depending on the mode with which you want to control the speed since the PID requires different parameters depending on the way in which you get the set-up information or the characteristics of the aerodynamic drag diagram.
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2018.3

Postby V12 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Thank You, I will check Your solution. My actual Nasal solution is very simple, but works very well.
V12

Postby V12 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Git repo updated, I fixed many small glitches and replaced preview images with better.
V12

Postby NewsDude » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:12 am

So, is there any possibility of the Concorde flight deck becoming a 100% 3D flight deck? With 3D panels and controls?
NewsDude

Postby V12 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:30 am

I don't plan convert the rest of the flightdeck to 3D. If You want, You can continue with that conversion...
V12

Postby Octal450 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 am

Both implementations of PIDs are weird. Neither of you is correct. You shouldn't use them as a fix any problem. They should be used where appropriate and as part of a design... You wouldn't find either method in a real autoflight system. I don't know why you guys insist on doing everything the hard way.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Waste of time. Goodbye forever.
Octal450

Postby V12 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 am

All AP of this plane is weird and needs total rewrote. But I don't know how do it. Actual version is enough for me. Plane flying close to FSLabs Concorde X, expect capturing VOR or LOC.
V12

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:02 am

All AP of this plane is weird and needs total rewrote. But I don't know how do it.

Yeah - think about all the things people could explain to you and you would by now how to do if you would ask nicely instead of bad-mouthing their work and pointing out how much superior you find FSX and other simulators...

That's how OpenSource usually works...
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:24 pm

@V12: have you considered to do the Pepsi Blue Concorde livery from the 1996?

granted, Sierra Delta flew with this livery for only two weeks but it is a very nice looking livery... too bad it amplified the heating problems see in all supersonic craft and caused the Concorde to be limited to only Mach 1.7 with max cruising speed limited to only 20 minutes...

Pepsi Concorde - F-BTSD - 1996

"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 am

I know that Pepsi story. Sometime I can try make this livery, it will need UV remap vertical stabilizer and rudder.
V12

PreviousNext

Return to Cockpit development