Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

If you want a livery...

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Re: If you want a livery...

Postby RedSpade » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 am

Hi. New to this forum and returning to FlightGear after about a 2 year hiatus. I sat down today to create a new livery for the Saab J-35 Draken, as there is only the stock one that comes with the download. I wanted to create a personalize Draken aircraft for myself. I am familiar with GIMP, but not really the process in how to do what I wanted to do. But this is how I often learn stuff, I just jump in and start flailing away, :lol: .

The stock J-35 is an RGB file, so I opened it up with GIMP, and started creating layers; 1 for the panel lines, 1 for the main body colors, 1 for the aircraft ID graphics, etc, etc. (Am I making a paintkit doing it this way? ) I got my livery looking close to what I wanted and went out to test it. I saved my file and dropped a copy into the ..FlightGear/data/Aircraft/SaabJ35Draken/Model directory. I launched FG and only the stock livery was available. I checked the file sizes; stock was 2177 kb, mine was 1044 kb. I couldn't figure out how to get GIMP to save my new file in a size similar to the stock livery. I looked at the 737-200 liveries, because I knew it had a bunch, but they are in a PNG format and have a corresponding XML file.

I even created a new Liveries folder (FlightGear/data/Aircraft/SaabJ35Draken/Model/Liveries thinking that in doing so, a Liveries option might show up on the Menu bar to allow selection, but no, that also did not work. :mrgreen:

SO..... I'm stumped. Can somebody enlighten me in the ways of livery and or paintkit creation? Is there a tutorial about how this is done? If so, can you point me to it?

Thanks in advanced.
RedSpade

Callsign: spade5
Version: 2.8.05

Postby Bravo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 am

You have to make an XML file for it.
Bravo

Postby Gijs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Welcome!

The Draken does not yet have livery support. See this wiki article for instructions on how to add livery support: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Livery_over_MP
The .rgb file format used to be the default format, but most people use .png these days. You can use .png eventough the original livery is in .rgb.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby RedSpade » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks for the link. I will give this a look and see if create a livery for the Draken. Is there anyone out there willing to mentor a noobie if I get stuck on this? A gentle slap up against the head works on me occasionally. :D
RedSpade

Postby Gijs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Just post here if you get stuck and we will help you back on track ;-)
Gijs

Postby jam007 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 pm

RedSpade wrote in Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 am:Hi. New to this forum and returning to FlightGear after about a 2 year hiatus. I sat down today to create a new livery for the Saab J-35 Draken, as there is only the stock one that comes with the download. I wanted to create a personalize Draken aircraft for myself. I am familiar with GIMP, but not really the process in how to do what I wanted to do. But this is how I often learn stuff, I just jump in and start flailing away, :lol: .

I'm currently working on improved Cockpit, animations and FDM for Draken. Livery would be very nice since I'm definitely not an artist.

Work so far:
Some instruments in cockpit
Added some details in cockpit
Animated tail wheel
Changed so it uses fuel from all three tanks.
More corrected some aircraft data in the autogenerated FDM-file
Started working on the aerodynamics in the FDM

TODO:
Continue with the FDM
More instruments and details in the cockpit.
Animating speedbrakes
Fuel-system
Drop Droptanks
And much more...

Just like you I'm learning at the same time.
jam007

Callsign: LOOP
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby RedSpade » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Wow Jam, exciting news about a new cockpit. I am NOT an artist, so don't get too excited. I do, however, have experience using graphic software (GIMP) and the use of layers in building, what I know as a "template", turning off certain layers to create different "skins"/"liveries" from the same template. I will have to learn how that is different from "paint kits".

And thanks Gjis. Should I append to this thread or start a new one? Thanks for the help and the encouragement.
RedSpade

Postby RedSpade » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:39 am

I was able to add the Draken to the menu bar and get the livery dialog selection box to show each of my added new "livery" candidates, however, when I click on them they do not get selected, nor do they "paint" upon the aircraft (in game). Basically, the dialog selection box shows the default livery, and my two new candidates for selection, but regardless of the selection made only the default skin shows in game. Can someone nudge me again down the correct path? It appears that the link to the "Liveries over MP" is regarding getting the new liveries available in game (menu bar and livery selection dialog box), but is it also about the selection and switching skins? Is this where I should be focusing my attention? Thanks again.
RedSpade

Postby Gijs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes, you also need to follow the rest of the steps (eg. http://wiki.flightgear.org/Livery_over_ ... .2F....xml).
Gijs

Postby Bravo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 pm

No other requests?
Bravo

Postby martin14051999 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 am

Bravo123 wrote in Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 pm:No other requests?

I want request some GIA Livery for 747-400 like this
can you help me please? i tried to make this livery but i got the problem to make the wing let
martin14051999

Callsign: MartinL
Version: 2.10.0.3

Postby E-Savageair » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:01 pm

This livery does exsist, someone just has to show the location where to get it from....
E-Savageair

Callsign: ESA
Version: 3.0

Postby Bravo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm

I guess I could give the Garuda a shot. May take some time as I'm pretty busy with school.

EDIT: Nevermind, the 747 paintkit is all screwy, making it near impossible to align the rear design.
Bravo

Postby martin14051999 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 pm

ok Bravo :)
martin14051999

Callsign: MartinL
Version: 2.10.0.3

Postby Bravo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:09 am

any other thoughts/requests?
Bravo

PreviousNext