Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Re: DC-6 livery select

Postby gooneybird » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Fahim Dalvi wrote:Hi,
Any chance of getting this into CVS?
Regards,
Fahim

I hope so, but not until I have finished the livery :wink:
Currently running 2018.1 but if it doesn't stop crashing I'm taking up tiddlywinks!
gooneybird

Callsign: G-OONY
Version: 2018.1

Postby gooneybird » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Ok here's the finished item
Last edited by gooneybird on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently running 2018.1 but if it doesn't stop crashing I'm taking up tiddlywinks!
gooneybird

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi,

Nice View. Hope this gets into CVS, 'coz its a great livery(Really like the wing detail!).

Including over 170 objects isn't easy, So i'm gonna make a program soon to fetch the names of all objects from an *.ac model!

Regards,
Fahim
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby zakharov » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:03 pm

hi guys,

what a nice texture ;)

Fahim Dalvi wrote:Including over 170 objects isn't easy, So i'm gonna make a program soon to fetch the names of all objects from an *.ac model!
you mean something like this?
Code: Select all
cat myAC3Dfile.ac | grep 'name "' | awk '{print $2}' | tr -d \"

best regards
zakh
Callsign: zakh Immat: F-ZAKH
System: Intel i3 2GHz (hyperthreaded), 4Go RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 330M (256MB VRAM), Debian unstable
FG 2016.4 from Debian packages + next (compiled)
in dev: zkv1000 PFD/MFD
zakharov

Postby gooneybird » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 am

More on the way soon :wink:

Last edited by gooneybird on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gooneybird

Postby Gijs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:54 am

Amazing liveries Gooney! They almost look more realistic than the real ones!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:58 pm

zakharov wrote:hi guys,

what a nice texture ;)

Fahim Dalvi wrote:Including over 170 objects isn't easy, So i'm gonna make a program soon to fetch the names of all objects from an *.ac model!
you mean something like this?
Code: Select all
cat myAC3Dfile.ac | grep 'name "' | awk '{print $2}' | tr -d \"

best regards
zakh

Hi,
Well, err.....I was going to do this in C++. I dont know which language that code is in, but its seems pretty easy. I was going to implement the same logic, if a line starts with name ", then fetch the characters till you encounter another 'double inverted comma'!

Regards,
Fahim
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Postby MD-Terp » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:39 am

Looks like he's speakin' UNIX to me...
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby gooneybird » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:27 am

Gijs wrote:Amazing liveries Gooney! They almost look more realistic than the real ones!

Thanks Gijs, that is what I was trying to achieve, but the result has even surprised me :D
I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this now :wink:

Would there be any objections to me repainting the default Pam Am livery :?:

Last edited by gooneybird on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gooneybird

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:20 pm

gooneybird wrote:Would there be any objections to me repainting the default Pam Am livery :?:

Hey I never saw any one object to AWESOME and realistic liveries :wink:
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Postby NicQ » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Stunning and beautiful work !!!
But (alas), before getting this into CVS, I respectfully ask for you to consider that the texture size is vastly overkill, even more so in an MP context : it will never be used full size for 99.9% of rendering cases, and thus the 1024x1024 mipmap will be used a lot more.
I'm serious : there is absolutely no need for 2048x2048 textures anywhere in FGFS. It's simply insane :)
Especially as you have large swats of it unused (still takes up memory). PNGs are only small on your hard disk, NOT in memory.
So at least dropping down to 1024x1024 will not alter the visual quality much in any case, and not all if done right, and pre-empt problems in MP.
As things are, you're wasting a lot of texture memory space.
Huge textures are meant to be used to optimize texture usage by storing what would have been multiple traditional textures in one big texture "atlas", or to map directly on something a lot bigger than an aircraft.
I really think it's a misuse of modern graphic computing power, as you can get much better results with smaller texture and some standard pixel shaders, for example (detail or bump/normal maps, per-pixel lighting shading effects combined for a true, non static weathered look. Sky is the limit)

And if you're going to use such huge texture, do it efficiently : no empty space, please...
This is one of the main sources of "lag" in MP, as everyone doesn't have 512 megs or more of dedicated VRAM on their GPUs, leading to very costly memory swapping, which can have a cascade effect on performance.
The RAM on your GPU cannot be all used for textures : you need space for multiple frame buffers, with one at least the full size of your resolution, and possibly bigger ones if you use fullscreen AA, then there are vertex and fragment shaders, vertex buffers, etc.
Eating up ressources in an unneeded fashion doesn't do good for anyone.
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, as if the examples you follow are wrong, well you can't be blamed for it :)
Just want to make people aware of a very important issue, as this has grown into more than a pet peeve of mine.
In this particular case, by using proper UVmapping to a square texture, you can certainly reduce it to 1024x1024 without losing any of the baked in details.
More so, I'd say most would not see the difference if you just resized it to 1024x1024 without any remapping.
A texture does not have to be contiguous, there are well known and well developed techniques to get the most out of your textures
Also, if both sides are exactly identical, no need to have them both in the texture...

Please guys, you do beautiful work but with a little research and effort, your work would not only be beautiful but efficient, and thus usable by a much more important part of the userbase.
Cheers, keep up the great work !!
Nic
If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby Tuxklok » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:53 pm

I second that Nic, very good info you put there. The default c172 is another example of this, it has mulitple(3 I think) 1024x1024 textures that are only like 50% used, just for the fuselage.This is why I mentioned having a guide to more efficient content creation in that "default scenery" thread that got way off topic. Without any useful guides, and with the default aircraft setting a bad example....

but that really is some beautiful work there gooney... :D
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby gooneybird » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks guys, I hear what you say about the texture size, they were done from the original texture which was 2048x2048, but they work fine at 1024x1024 with just a little definition loss.

It seems there are more and more of the larger textures being used now, maybe that's the way of the future.

This repaint nearly went in the bin halfway through (along with many others I've tried), because of one of my pet hates, multiple sections mapped to one part of the texture, for instance, the upper outer wing section is also used for the flaps, ailerons, elevators and tailplane. Due to that problem these liveries are actually incomplete, no wing serials and the painted wing stripes do not go the full length, it's a great model nonetheless.

So please guys when doing the texture mapping keep all the major surfaces separate then we won't end up with incomplete liveries, as noted above there is usually room to do it.
Are we not trying to make this a real as possible, surely that should go for liveries as well.

I shall remove the download, and replace it later with smaller textures.
gooneybird

Postby Liam » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:12 pm

I have been inside a BOAC DC-6 at Duxford air museum (outside north-east London) Unfortunately I remember it has no wings and the tail removed, But the interior is stunning! Sadly I have no pictures- until my next visit :wink:

BOAC DC6 in a long line of commercial aircraft at Duxford air museum, Concorde is somewhere in the background! You can go inside it :D
Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Postby gooneybird » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Liam wrote:BOAC DC6 in a long line of commercial aircraft at Duxford air museum

That's not a '6' Liam, it's a Handley Page Hermes :wink: , as far as I know Duxford don't have a DC-6.
If you want to know what's going on at Duxford, have a look here, it's only 15 min up the road from us.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mclaydon/news.htm

I have actually flown in a DC-6 when I was a youngster, it was the first time I ever flew backwards, (military charter flight) 8)
Last edited by gooneybird on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
gooneybird

PreviousNext

Return to Liveries