Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Cargo liveries

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Cargo liveries

Postby Delta5142 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi all,
I just finished a UPS livery for the 757. I saved the .png file into 757>Models>Liveries, however I don't want the windows to appear on the aircraft since it is a cargo plane. How should I edit the .xml in order to get rid of the windows? Is it some boolean value that I have to change? Or do I need to make the changes to the .png itself in GIMP.

Thank you,
Delta5142
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142
Version: next

Re: Cargo liveries

Postby Johan G » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Are you sure the windows are just part of the livery and not a part of the model?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:41 pm

on some craft, the windows are in the model... the only way to remove them for cargo craft is to edit the model and remove them there... that means another model used only for cargo...

i ran into this with the chrome rings around the engine openings on some craft... i wanted a completely black livery but that chrome just wouldn't go away... windows are the same...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Delta5142 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:55 pm

Hmmm, yes I believe that the windows for the 757 are part of the livery, not the model itself. However, I can't find the layer on the paintkit with the windows in gimp, so I don't know how to remove these windows.
Delta5142

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:34 pm

i just looked at all the livery PNGs for the 757 and none of them have windows painted in them... they contain no layers... this points to the windows being in the model's .ac file...

[time passes]

yes... i've just opened the 757 in blender (using the ac3d import script) and the windows are cut into the model... this is why you don't see them in the livery textures...

when in doubt, don't believe... look at the actual model ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Delta5142 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Ok, I opened the 757.ac file into blender and clarified it. Yes, I should have just looked at the model :). To get back to the topic, what would the best way to remove windows be? Will I have to redo the model myself in blender? I'm not that good of a 3d modeler, but I could try it out.
Delta5142

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:51 pm

yes... i'd copy the model to another name... maybe 757-cargo.ac and work with that to remove the windows... i've no idea what is involved with that task, though...

once you get the craft model without the windows, i'd make a new -set.xml file for the cargo version... this -set file would use the 757-cargo.ac file and the cargo liveries... i'm guessing it could use all the other files as they exist... hopefully you won't have to copy the craft and all its files to a new directory (eg: 757-cargo)... that is a possibility, though... it really depends on how the 757 is currently coded...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Delta5142 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:25 pm

Ok, challenge accepted, just beginning to change the 757 model...
Delta5142

Postby Johan G » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:05 pm

Go for it! :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Delta5142 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:54 am

Hello Everyone,
I know it's been a little bit but it was quite a learning experience for me to get used to blender. :) But in other words... Success! I was able to remove the windows from the 3d model. Here are some screenshots straight out of blender:

I also made a couple of liveries for the Boeing 757-PF
These include:

FedEx

Icelandair Cargo

And UPS (Apologies, this wasn't my best one)

I'm thinking of making some more liveries. My list includes:
DHL Express
ATI Cargo

But most importantly, I want to make this project public, so that we can have a 757-PF in Flightgear. However, I don't know anything about the licensing (If I need any) and how I should make it public.

Thank you! :D
Delta5142
Delta5142

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Delta5142 wrote in Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:54 am:[...] it was quite a learning experience for me to get used to blender. :) But in other words... Success! I was able to remove the windows from the 3d model.

Nice. Congratulations! :D

Delta5142 wrote in Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:54 am:[...] I want to make this project public, so that we can have a 757-PF in Flightgear. However, I don't know anything about the licensing (If I need any) and how I should make it public.

For inclusion in FGAddon your contribution need to be compatible with the GNU GPLv2 license. The model already is, and if you have not copypasted the liveries but made them yourself (as it seems) they are in the clear as well.

To add you contributions to FGAddon, contact one of the people that have committed to the 757 and have them review and commit your contribution. See the 757 page in FGAddon on SourceForge. Maybe legoboyvdlp could be help you with that.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby dom_vc10 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi

Did the cargo model ever get released if not is it possible to get hold of it?
dom_vc10

Version: nightly

Return to Liveries