Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Custom Liveries

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Custom Liveries

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:14 am

So I recently discovered that I enjoy making liveries. I decided I'd post them here, with links so y'all can download them if you would like. All liveries are high-quality and free to use (of course). If you have any questions, comments, or feedback about a particular livery, feel free to contact me, either via private message or via a reply to this thread. All liveries can be downloaded from the Flickr gallery in my signature (hopefully I'll get a website set up at some point though).

Most of these will not be for jetliners, as there's plenty of those from other people. Instead, I'm focusing on smaller aircraft (as well as a few vintage liveries for things). Enjoy!

All liveries have been checked and updated as necessary to be compatible with FG2020.3 the current stable release.
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:34 am, edited 9 times in total.
Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Re: My Custom Liveries

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:19 am

The first livery is a fictitious B-25 Mitchell, registered 43-0729.

Updated to HD (2048x2048) on 11/14/20.
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 am

Custom Alaska Airlines liveries for the DHC-6 Twin Otter (fictional but looks really nice).

Long-nosed version (N621AK):

Snub-nosed version (N635AK):
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:14 am

Also, the Alaska Airlines livery for the FGAddon Q400 mysteriously does not include the word "Alaska" on the forward fuselage, so I fixed it.

UPDATE: With the 2020.3.2 release, the Q400 has been significantly updated and this livery is no longer compatible.
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Husky Dynamics

Postby wfulle » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:15 am

Good job these livery’s are very high quality. I would love to know though what other livery’s are you working on?
wfulle

Callsign: N77-WF

Postby Husky Dynamics » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:40 am

I'm currently working on the third of three United States Coast Guard liveries for Buckaroo's Grumman Goose (they should be released in a three-pack relatively soon), and also doing preliminary work on an Alaska Airlines DC-3 and a NASA KC-135, as well as updating the B-25 livery to 2048x2048 and adding more detail.

[UPDATE 11/8/20]
Alaska Airlines DC-3 has been put on hold indefinitely, Gooses have been released (see below), RCAF B-25s (surprise!) are almost done, and the sharkmouth B-25 is really just waiting for a name at this point. Also have a few other ideas...

[UPDATE 12/17/20]
Sorry for the long wait, but the Alaska DC-3 is almost done (I finally figured out how to make it look decent), and I plan to release it before Christmas. A few 707 liveries are currently in the works as well, but those will be a bit into the new year.
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:38 am

Three United States Coast Guard liveries for Buckaroo's Grumman Goose available now!

USCG V185 (1939):

USCG 7779 (1950s):

USCG 9071 (Modern, fictional):
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky Dynamics

Re: Custom Liveries

Postby Johan G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 pm

Beautiful. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby The epic chicken » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 pm

nice
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:51 am

Now available: Two Royal Canadian Air Force liveries for the updated B-25 Mitchell: RCAF 5240 and FW278 (with No. 418 Sqdn. unit code "HO"):

RCAF 5240 (Air Transport Command):

RCAF FW278 (No. 418 Sqdn., Edmonton, Alberta, circa mid-1950s):
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Apologies for the long wait, should have a few coming out soon.

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Presenting NC91008, a Douglas DC-3 in the historic Alaska Airlines colors. Happy holidays everybody!

Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Husky Dynamics

Postby Raj » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:50 am

Hi Husky,
Impressive works. I am new to flightGear and would like to learn how to make custom liveries as well, Can be to guide me where can i start from?
Raj

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:49 am

Certainly! I'd be glad to help out.

The easiest way (from what I've read and also from personal experience) to start designing liveries is to modify one that already exists. For example, my fictional shark-mouthed B-25 is a rather simple modification of the aircraft's default livery (with "Fly Free" nose art). Pretty much all I did for that one was paint over the existing nose art, add my own, and put on some red wingtips and a serial number. Simple as that.

Alternatively, you can start from scratch by using a paint kit. These are often available with the aircraft, but sometimes you have to download them separately (the livery database has a fair number of paint kits, found here: http://liveries.flightgear.org/paintkits.php. Essentially, a paint kit is a blank livery that also includes outlines of various components of the aircraft (e.g. placement of the doors) for reference while creating a livery. As a point of interest, my Alaska Airlines Twin Otters are the only liveries I've released that were created exclusively from a paint kit, all the others have at least a portion of the final livery that is from an existing one.

I use GIMP for editing the texture files, primarily because it is very powerful while also being free to download and use. Some people use other editors such as Inkscape or Photoshop, and those should work just as well (though Photoshop is not free). To use the livery, the first thing you need to do is save your file as a single-layer image (I typically use .PNG) in whatever folder the aircraft's other liveries are in (usually Aircraft/Models/Liveries if you use Windows). Next, you need to copy one of the aircraft's livery XML files (typically in the same folder, listed as Liveryname.xml). Open the XML file and change the value in the ,name. brackets to the name of your livery, and change the file name in the <texture> brackets to the name of the PNG file you saved earlier. When you launch FlightGear and open the livery selection menu, your new livery should appear under the name you put in the <name> brackets.

Some people use 3d viewer programs to see their liveries and compare them to the source images they are using (oh yeah, source images are a must if you are making a real-world livery), but I personally prefer to just launch FlightGear and see the livery in the simulator itself, mainly because I know that how I see it will be how everyone else sees it when they use the livery. (However, this also means that I end up launching FlightGear probably 50+ times when making any given livery, as I identify changes that need to be made and check that everything still looks good.)

Once you're happy with your livery, you can post it to the forum along with a link for people to download it (if you want). Remember to include the XML file in the download as well!

That's about all I can come up with off the top of my head. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! (Also, you can find more detailed info here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Edit_a_livery.)

Husky Dynamics

Postby Alexis07 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:10 am

HI :D First of all, thank you for your dedication and support those of us who don't know how to do a livery. How can I communicate with you ? ( via email maybe) . would you help me for develop some liveries that are needed in the simulator ?
Thank you very much for your time and I hope to lear from you. If you want to talk to me , leave me your email address to write to you and talk about it . again , I appreciate it very much since I was desperate to do some liveries and I couldn't find help, and thats why I`ll ask you , literally , you are my hope :lol:
Alexis07

Next

Return to Liveries