Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Custom Liveries

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Re: Custom Liveries

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:16 pm

these forums are exactly one of the places where these types of discussion can take place ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Husky Dynamics » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm

Big news! I now have a website (link in my signature)! Also, all liveries are now available for download individually rather than in groups. Screenshots have been updated as well, and I have a new livery for y'all (with several more on the way soon):

The Space Shuttle Discovery! (Challenger, Columbia, and Endeavour coming soon, probably over the next week or two).

Installation instructions are included with Discovery as the shuttle has no actual livery selection dialog in-sim, so switching must be done manually. Here's a simplified version of the instructions:
1. Find the default Atlantis texture and rename it to something else.
2. Give the Discovery texture the name the Atlantis texture had before you renamed it.

Essentially, rather than changing what file it looks for, you need to change the file that it finds, if that makes sense.
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Postby gooneybird » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 pm

I'm sorry but you can not takeHelijah's work and my textures for the DC-3 and put your own copyright on them :( :(
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby Husky Dynamics » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 pm

For the metallic liveries? My sincerest apologies! I did not intend to infringe on any copyrights :oops:

They have been removed.

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Postby gooneybird » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:20 pm

The liveries are fine, good in fact, but the copyright text is not, so just release them under GPL (the licence they are already under) without the copyright notice.
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 am

All right, the bare metal liveries are back! (But this time under GPLv2. Again, my apologies for the licensing issue earlier.)

These textures can be used either as standalone liveries (if you just don't want your plane to have paint) or as the base for other custom liveries. Both textures have minimal markings: the DC-3/C-47 has a nose anti-glare panel and deicing boots on the wings and tail, and the B-25/B-25J has red "don't-stand-here-unless-you-want-to-get-hit-by-the-propeller" markings on both sides of the fuselage.

DC-3/C-47:

B-25/B-25J:

Husky Dynamics

Postby erik » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:45 am

If you add the shininess and civilian tags to the DC-3 you will also get a glossy metallic shine.
Code: Select all
<PropertyList>

<sim>

<model>
      <livery>
        <name type="string">Alaska Airlines</name>
        <texture>Liveries/ASA.png</texture>
        <specular>
          <red>   0.5 </red>
          <green> 0.5 </green>
          <blue>  0.5 </blue>
        </specular>
        <shininess type="float">-0.35</shininess>
        <civilian type="bool">true</civilian>
      </livery>
           <livery-engine>
        <texture>Liveries/ASAprop.png</texture>
        <specular>
          <red>   0.5 </red>
          <green> 0.5 </green>
          <blue>  0.5 </blue>
        </specular>
      </livery-engine>
    </model>

</sim>

</PropertyList>

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:41 pm

Husky Dynamics wrote in Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm:Big news! I now have a website (link in my signature)! Also, all liveries are now available for download individually rather than in groups. Screenshots have been updated as well, and I have a new livery for y'all (with several more on the way soon):

The Space Shuttle Discovery! (Challenger, Columbia, and Endeavour coming soon, probably over the next week or two).

you do realize that the shuttles were different by a lot more than just their external paint, right? just changing the name of the craft doesn't provide everything that is different between them...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:47 pm

I know, but I don't have any idea how to change the flight dynamics, weight, etc (and if I tried it probably wouldn't turn out very well anyway). I don't even really know how to 3d model :lol:

So yes, I am aware of the differences in the shuttles beyond their paint and tile patterns (Columbia in particular, which had several structural differences and was around 8,000 lbs heavier than what the shuttle's FDM currently simulates; Challenger never had a drag chute fitted, and so on). I just don't have the skills necessary (or time to learn them) to make those changes, so I'm just making the textures at the moment. Maybe someday...

As far as the textures go, Discovery and Endeavour are pretty much just a changing of the name, since I'm doing all the shuttles in the last markings they wore and 103, 104, and 105 had identical markings by that point. Columbia and Challenger will have several major differences though (although due to the way the shuttle's bay doors are mapped, it isn't possible to accurately replicate the gray NASA "worm" logos on the rear of the doors on Challenger. Both doors use the texture from one side, so the left door ends up with the text backwards and the right door has it super stretched for some reason.)

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:38 am

The Space Shuttle Challenger, now available. This livery is created and released in memory of the seven members of the STS-51-L crew of Challenger, who were aboard the vehicle when it was destroyed just after launch on January 28, 1986, thirty-five years ago today.

As stated in the previous post, the NASA markings on the rear sections of the payload bay doors (as seen in the image below) are currently unable to be accurately reproduced due to the way the payload doors are mapped, though if this changes the livery will (of course) be updated to include them.

Husky Dynamics

Postby F-PTCZ » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:54 am

Husky Dynamics wrote in Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:38 am:The Space Shuttle Challenger, now available. This livery is created and released in memory of the seven members of the STS-51-L crew of Challenger, who were aboard the vehicle when it was destroyed just after launch on January 28, 1986, thirty-five years ago today.

I remember as it had happened yesterday ! Thanks for them...
F-PTCZ

Callsign: F-PTCZ
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Husky Dynamics » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:55 am

Columbia, the first spaceworthy shuttle and flagship of the fleet. This livery is created and released in the memory of the STS-107 crew, who were lost along with Columbia when she broke up during reentry on February 1, 2003, 18 years ago today.

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:29 pm

And completing the collection of operational Space Shuttles, the Endeavour is now available!

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:31 pm

Alaska Airlines Twin Otters have received a minor update with clean-ups and refinements to some of the shaping of areas on the texture files. Their in-sim appearance is essentially unchanged, but the texture file itself looks a lot neater now.

Husky Dynamics

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:43 am

Apologies for nothing major being posted recently. Several new liveries are in the works, so stay tuned!

Husky Dynamics

PreviousNext

Return to Liveries