Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Creating fonts?  Topic is solved

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Creating fonts?

Postby sanhozay » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:04 am

Does anyone have software (and know how to use it) to create fonts? I can't find anything for Linux systems.

In particular, I'm trying to get a font like this one:

This would also come in handy. I've already made the Caledonian livery but the font isn't quite right:

sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Re: Creating fonts?

Postby Thorsten » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:16 am

Depends... long time ago, I did dabble with METAFONT (part of the LaTeX package family) to create my own Elvish fonts - rather powerful, but takes some time getting used to.

You're probably expecting something with a GUI though...
Thorsten

Postby sanhozay » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:26 am

I'm not averse to command line work (and I have used LaTeX before) but I don't want to invest huge amounts of time just to get 7 uppercase letters: ADILNOR.

I think I might just draw them out in Inkscape (which probably amounts to the same task as working in a GUI font editor), or use the bitmap trace from a photo.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ

Postby Gijs » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:31 am

Inkscape has a font editor, but I never really got a grab on it. For the Boeing CDU font I used Fontforge (open source and cross platform). It's pretty easy to use, and you can trace bitmaps as well. You can create a font with just a couple of letters instead of an entire alphabet, so it doesn't have to be a lot of work.

Anyhow, if you don't need to re-use the letters (in variable order/texts), it's probably easier to just trace the letters in Inkscape.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS

Return to Liveries