Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Including liveries in aircraft repository?

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Including liveries in aircraft repository?

Postby jsb » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:20 am

Hi,

I am sorting out some license issues with the CRJ700 family repository and I wonder if it is ok to include liveries from the database into the repo and distribute them with the aircraft?
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB
Version: next

Re: Including liveries in aircraft repository?

Postby bugman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:45 am

Someone else would probably better at answering this. But submissions to the livery database must be GPLv2+, so it is legally possible. However I think the general idea is that FGAddon will only hold a small subset of high quality liveries, and the rest remain in the livery database. I heard somewhere, though it might be a rumour, that there might be plans in the future to allow for liveries from the database to be downloaded in-sim, similar to James' recent work allowing whole aircraft to be downloaded in-sim.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Version: next

Re: Including liveries in aircraft repository?

Postby Thorsten » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:23 am

Since many users (including myself here) don't care much for liveries but they tend to be substantial in size, the general idea is indeed that in order to avoid bloating the repository network traffic and the download sizes for everyone, liveries are fetched by the people who are interested from the livery database.
Thorsten

Return to Liveries