Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

inherit existing craft for new livery?  Topic is solved

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

inherit existing craft for new livery?

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:02 pm

ok, i'm guessing that this is probably a stupid question/idea but i'm going to ask it anyway...

is there a way to create a new livery for an existing craft without having to copy it to a private directory and then modifying it or modifying the original?

the idea is that i could work on my livery and the craft with its FDM and all the additional stuff that makes it work could be updated at any time without my livery stuff getting in the way or my modifications to the original files being lost...

i don't know if i've phrased this right but the main thing is to not have to copy the craft's entire directory and then start on the livery...

am i daft for thinking/wondering/asking about this?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: inherit existing craft for new livery?  

Postby sanhozay » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 pm

When I make a livery I use Inkscape, which is an SVG editor. The main benefit of editing SVG is the "S", which stands for scalable: It's easy to adjust sizes without losing quality. To make the livery, you export an image file and save your SVG separately. So the SVG file is your "source" and the image is built from it. As such, you can keep the SVG where you like and export the image direct into the aircraft folder (having created the XML file to go with it).

I can send you an SVG livery to play around with if you want.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 am

sanhozay wrote in Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 pm:When I make a livery I use Inkscape, which is an SVG editor. The main benefit of editing SVG is the "S", which stands for scalable: It's easy to adjust sizes without losing quality. To make the livery, you export an image file and save your SVG separately. So the SVG file is your "source" and the image is built from it. As such, you can keep the SVG where you like and export the image direct into the aircraft folder (having created the XML file to go with it).

ok... yes... i have inkscape here as well as gimp and soon blender, too (i think)...

what i'm really looking at is that for the one aircraft that i have created a new livery for, i copied its original Aircraft/theplane folder to my private area and then went in and added my livery to the existing ones... what i'm hoping for is to not have to copy an aircraft's directory at all... just create a directory in my private area that contains only the Models/Livery directory and in there would be only my few files (svg, png, and one or two xmls) related to my livery...

sanhozay wrote in Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 pm:I can send you an SVG livery to play around with if you want.

thanks! that would be appreciated... just send me the link... i can pull anything from most anywhere ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby sanhozay » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:54 am

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 am:what i'm really looking at is that for the one aircraft that i have created a new livery for, i copied its original Aircraft/theplane folder to my private area and then went in and added my livery to the existing ones... what i'm hoping for is to not have to copy an aircraft's directory at all... just create a directory in my private area that contains only the Models/Livery directory and in there would be only my few files (svg, png, and one or two xmls) related to my livery...

OK, I'm beginning to understand. How did you install Flightgear and where is your Aircraft directory at the moment?
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:37 pm

sanhozay wrote in Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:54 am:
wkitty42 wrote in Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 am:what i'm really looking at is that for the one aircraft that i have created a new livery for, i copied its original Aircraft/theplane folder to my private area and then went in and added my livery to the existing ones... what i'm hoping for is to not have to copy an aircraft's directory at all... just create a directory in my private area that contains only the Models/Livery directory and in there would be only my few files (svg, png, and one or two xmls) related to my livery...

OK, I'm beginning to understand. How did you install Flightgear and where is your Aircraft directory at the moment?

i have three installations at this point in time...

the first is 3.4.1 from the PPA on launchpad... i don't know where everything for the PPA installation resides...

the second is 3.4.1 from git... the third is 3.5.0 from git... yes, there's three fgdatas...

the two installs from git are in my flightgear-dev directory... 3.4.1-git is using fgdata-og (og == old generation) from before the new split... 3.5.0 in there is using the new stripped fgdata-ng... i have also pulled the fgaddon repository...

i have a "myflightgear" directory with Aircraft and Scenery directories inside it... currently i'm only using the Aircraft directory and have one aircraft in it that is a complete copy of one from one of the above fgdata directories... all i want to do is create a new livery for it and fly it without having to copy the entire original directory or modify the original directory... if that can be done...

eg:
myflightgear/Aircraft/theplane/
myflightgear/Aircraft/theplane/Models/
myflightgear/Aircraft/theplane/Models/Liveries/
myflightgear/Aircraft/theplane/Models/Liveries/mylivery.xml
myflightgear/Aircraft/theplane/Models/Liveries/mylivery.png
myflightgear/Aircraft/theplane/Models/Liveries/my-livery-template.svg
myflightgear/Aircraft/theplane/Models/Liveries/original-livery-template.svg

in other words, inherit the existing "theplane" from the fgdata directory and then my files above are seen and applied as a new livery to "theplane"... ??
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Liveries