Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Contributing a livery  Topic is solved

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Contributing a livery

Postby primtala2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:43 pm

My first post ! :mrgreen:

Anyway, i am making a livery for my Cessna 172 and was thinking about maybie sharing it when it's finished. I took a look at the livery database and in the contribute part there are "rules" (rule number 2 actually) which says

"The livery must exist, or have existed in the real world; on the respective aircraft."

Why ?. That's totally boring. It really keeps you from getting creative and making awesome livery's. Is it a legal thing ?. Can't think of why that is.

It's trully fun to be able to make stuff out of the blue and then sharing it among the flightgear community, even if the livery is crappy. If i will not be able to make my own livery's and then sharing them so they will actually be visible online and don't see much reason for me to create one.
primtala2

Callsign: D-73
Version: git

Re: Contributing a livery  

Postby Johan G » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:49 am

Welcome to the forum! :D

I think the limitation is there to not have the number of liveries explode along with storage requirements, though I might be wrong.

Another way to include them is to (kindly) ask the authors or to put them separately on the web.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby primtala2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:24 am

Thanx for the info. I will find a way to share the livery somehow, maybe dropbox will do the trick. A free centerlized livery dabase would be awesome though.
primtala2

Callsign: D-73
Version: git

Postby sanhozay » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:31 am

One of the guiding principles of Flightgear is realism. It may fall short sometimes, but many contributors have spent many hours striving for realism: flight dynamics, aircraft models, weather, atmospheric effects, scenery, buildings, air traffic control. The official livery database follows the same principle of realism and the liveries in the livery databse are recreations of paintwork on real aircraft.

Dropbox is fine for sharing other liveries. They are small and the traffic is unlikely to be significant. Just put a link in your forum signature. If you make a lot, get some free webspace and host them there.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Return to Liveries