Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

a question about GPL

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

a question about GPL

Postby lomar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:40 pm

i want to ask.. what kind of images can we use for making liveries? i have read GPL v2.0 but i didn't take their point about this
could someone explain me this
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Re: a question about GPL

Postby Johan G » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 pm

If you are thinking on where the images came from, the easiest (from a license standpoint) is usually to make your own.

You of course does not have to make your own if you can find images that are released under a license that are compatible with GPL v2. (Note that except for CC0 most of the creative commons licenses are not. Probably due to clauses that limits reuse under certain circumstances.)

One way around it is of course to ask the copyright holder/photographer/illustrator for permission to use it for work that will be published under GPL v2. It have been done before. :wink:

If you are reusing images from somewhere else, please attribute them. This will help if someone later claims they are stolen (in the past it have happened with 3D models here, however they was most certainly stolen).

If you are thinking image file formats png is the most common.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Liveries