Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Space Shuttle texturing

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Space Shuttle texturing

Postby pauljs75 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm starting on some basic texturing for the space shuttle model I was working on (see this thread). The mapping template guide works out pretty well, so it should go smoothly enough. If it looks satisfactory, I will also update the files at ShareCG to include the textures.

Also just to be funny, I'm considering making one alternate exterior texture after my first one. It'll be a black shuttle with U.S. Air Force markings instead of NASA ones, and I'll call it the OV-100 "Intrepid". Why? Because there's a gap in the shuttle designation numbers, and because it wouldn't suprise me too much if there actually was at least one black-budget shuttle hidden somewhere. (The circumstances and mission specification for using it would probably be unusual, but it would definitely have its uses.)

As for the shuttle model itself, it's not in the FG sim as of yet. Other work will need to be done to merge it with the existing FDM to make it flyable. (Outside of my scope, but anyone with the ability is encouraged to develop it further and post such updates in the modeling thread.)
pauljs75

Re: Space Shuttle texturing

Postby BATTLEMASTER » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Cool! I am looking forward to seeing it in FlightGear :)
BATTLEMASTER

Callsign: BLR-2C
Aircraft: F-15C Eagle, F-4X Phantom II, F-8 Crusader, C-130H Hercules, B-2 Spirit, XB-35, B-1B
Spacecraft: Bluebird, Danube-Class Runabout, Type 6 Shuttlecraft
Airports: KROC, KEDW, KJFK, KLAX, KORD, KMCO, EGLL
BATTLEMASTER

Re: Space Shuttle texturing

Postby pauljs75 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Here's the finished outside texturing. I think it looks good enough, so I'm going to call this one a wrap for now. Not sure if I'll get around to the bay interior texturing though. (At least w/o taking a bit of a break, as fixing seams and rough spots without a decent 3D paint program is pretty much paint-render-paint-render ad infinitum, or until it looks good enough.)

The alternate fictional black-ops scheme will wait until a bit later.
pauljs75

Return to Liveries