Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Five new F-14 liveries almost ready

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Re: Five new F-14 liveries almost ready

Postby Flying toaster » Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 am

The F-14 (A and B, have to check about the D) indeed have an autothrottle in the form of the Approach Power Compensator (APC). But this is meant to ensure appropriate angle of attack (and consequently glide slope) during carrier approach. There is no speed hold autothrottle.
I guess fighter designers assume that the throttle is responsive enough to handle speed through the seat of your pants even when refuelling.
That being said we do not have that kind of feedback in a simulator, and a speed controlled autothrottle would definitely ease things a bit for cross country flights.
So to make this short : there is no autothrottle in the sense you are requiring in the real thing, and feel free to implement it for your needs (this is open source after all).

Cheers

Enrique
Flying toaster

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Wed May 14, 2014 4:35 am

I thought about doing it but I don't know how.
HelldiverSquadron

Callsign: Friend
Version: 3.0

Postby Flying toaster » Wed May 14, 2014 5:57 pm

The tomcat A finally has a continuously variable nozzle :)

't was easier than I expected :? But still a lot of work to do as far as mapping is concerned.
It does not help that the exporter in Blender has issues regarding the material (but then again I am just glad it simply exists :D ).

These are the liveries I intend to do for a release :
Obviously
gotta have it :)
Somewhat iconic
if anything because it was the first operational unit
and
Because they are the last ones still flying
The swordsmen livery could also be ported to this new version. Actually the vf-32 livery available on the F-14B package, made at Alexis request, was not carried by the F-14B but rather by the F-14A, even though the Swordsmen had the super tomcat on strength at some point. Plus you can redo this famous shot :

Since it is going to take quite a while to make them all (plus the F-20 and X-15 and Flanker and Foxbat are in my "catch up" list) I will release one when available complete with the SVG files for the paint template.

Cheers

Enrique
Flying toaster

Previous

Return to Liveries