Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Glossy effect for Citation II livery?  Topic is solved

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Re: Glossy effect for Citation II livery?

Postby chris_blues » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Well, with blue-sky its even better visible! Note the rippled shadow on the right engine's back.
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby i4dnf » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:57 pm

ok, I was wrong. The only thing I can think of is there's a pixel, or a pixel row missing from that engine's part of the texture. Add a row of pixels to the top and bottom of the leftmost white rectangle.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D

Postby chris_blues » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:57 pm

I don't get it! Here's an overlay of the zones on the maps:

It's all fitting perfectly! How could there be some missing pixels? My fields match perfectly through all layers, like here on livery and there on greymap...
I have double checked and triple checked... :(

And here are the maps: Citation2_LuxNaviation_maps1.zip (ca.400 kB)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby i4dnf » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:58 am

Hmm, no matter what I try to do I can't get that to show up. Are you shure you're not using by any chance an older version of your livery?
Other than that, the only thing that differs between your tests and mine is the model modifications made by Heiko, but those shouldn't have affected texturing.

On another note, you have some unnecessary transparent parts in the texture, in the center bottom part there is a gradient and another rectangle, those parts in your texture are transparent, and they shouldn't be. First make shure the background color in the gimp toolbar is white, then rightclick the texture layer -> remove alpha channel.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D

Postby chris_blues » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:21 pm

I think I'm riding the wrong horse! Since the caps of the engines aren't in the livery itself but defined somewhere else, ain't that right? Where have you changed them in "CitationII.ac"? Do you know, where I could find it?

Ok, I've reset CitationII.ac. meaning I've copied back the old backup I made, before we were making changes.
Now I got the engines caps glossy white again.

..searching for differences...

...replaced the first MATERIAL lines with the ones from your .ac (those before OBJECT world) . No changes so far. I see, you've made many changes after OBJECT world as well. I think I shouldn't mess around with that by hand...
What can I do now? Could you please check, if the CitationII.ac, you've uploaded is still the one you use in FG?

...and there's still the issue with the trimmers, or whatever this is called:
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby chris_blues » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:33 pm

i4dnf wrote:in the center bottom part there is a gradient and another rectangle, those parts in your texture are transparent, and they shouldn't be.

Fixed, deleted the alpha-channel and replaced it with white. And I cut it out better this time :)
btw, what is this for?

Could you please send me your CitationII.ac? Since Heiko made some modifications, I would like to try it. Now I'm back on the white engines caps...
Edit:
:roll: oh well! another slap on my head! I guess Heiko is HHS and I already have his file... :oops:

Any ideas, how to edit this .ac-file? I guess it's this 3d-modelling format for ac3d. But since I don't have that prog and ablsolutely no idea about blender, I can't do it myself :(
I've tried blender, to work quicker on the livery, but I couldn't even get the livery to show up... :oops:

i4dnf wrote:...the model modifications made by Heiko, but those shouldn't have affected texturing.

I think those should affect the engines caps! What I'm painting in the livery is the parts under the engine's caps! When you engage the thrust-reverser, what you can see underneath them, this comes from the livery. At least I think so!
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby HHS » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:56 pm

I have uvmapped the engine nozzle and and front part, Which wasn't yet done, but it seems I didn't match the borders right. That's why there is the black ring.

You need Blender or AC3D for to fix this- or a little patience, when I find some time at the evening today.
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Postby chris_blues » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:13 pm

I guess, I'll wait! :)

Thanks to both of you! I couldn't have come this far without your help! 8)

Please send me the complete new CitationII.ac, when you have it. And while you are looking into the .ac , could you please take a look at this trimmer thing? Where does it get its texture info from? That should be changed to some neutral spot on the livery...

When that's fixed, I believe we're done! Or do you find something wrong?
Here's the whole set of manipulated files: Citation2_LuxAviation3.zip (ca.200kB)

Edit:
... I tried! I believe I'll never understand blender! :(
All I could accomplish with blender was to import citation-II.ac and to show a texture (But the wrong one!). I even got to move the camera, where I wanted it. But no texture on the renderings...
I'll give it one more try with ac3d...
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby chris_blues » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 am

I actually made it! :shock:
With ac3d I at least found out how the certain pieces are named. Then editing citation.ac by hand did the trick. I create a white .png 64x64. After that inside the .ac-file searched for heater and reverser and replaced every texture with this white.png. On the wings.heater's I had to add the line -> texture "chrome2.png"
Code: Select all
name "RHwing.heater"
data 8
Tube.076
texture 
"chrome2.png"
crease 60.000000
numvert 21
6.454515 0.217747 
and so on and so on

I still couldn't get the trimmer out of the "fin". It's all merged together, and I somehow can't get it out...

I guess its not the nice approach to simply "hack" a 3d-model in text-mode, but it worked... :mrgreen:
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby chris_blues » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:40 pm

I can't believe it! ac3d is so much better to use than blender! At least for me! :mrgreen:
After a while I didn't even need to manipulate the .ac by hand!

I think I'm done! Please look over the files and report any mistakes, I may have made! Download Citation2_LuxAviation4.zip (ca.1 MB)
I checked the other liveries too, and I would say, we could leave it like that. What do you think? Should we try to set different glossy levels for each livery?

Edit: I updated the .zip file, I included the .xcf file!
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Armchair Ace » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:26 pm

It's beautiful! I'm very impressed, since this livery is (one of your) first liveries.

Well done!

~Tom
Last edited by Armchair Ace on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the FlightGear Flying Club

Current Projects :
Miscellaneous texture and sound work
Armchair Ace

Callsign: G-ATPF
IRC name: ArmchairAce

Postby chris_blues » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks a lot! I'm not quite sure; is it time to get it into git or livery.flightgear.org? How do I proceed from here? I think I'll go and put it up on liveries.flightgear.org. Is there anything else I got to do?

Btw, big thanks to i4dbf and HHS! Except for the pixel-pushing, this is all their knowledge, they kindly shared!!! 8)
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Armchair Ace » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm sure putting it into the Citation-II directory in GIT would be a good idea, too. :)

~Tom
Member of the FlightGear Flying Club

Current Projects :
Miscellaneous texture and sound work
Armchair Ace

Callsign: G-ATPF
IRC name: ArmchairAce

Postby chris_blues » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:45 pm

How do I do that? After what I'm through, it shouldn't be so hard, but I just don't know where to begin...

Now, I'm struggeling with the issues about contributing it into liveries.flightgear.org . I've already found out the ICAO-Code of LuxAviation (LXA). Now I've got to rename the livery after that fashion. How would you name it? LXA-LX-GDL ? For example? For now, it's name was just LuxAviation. I'm not so sure...
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Gijs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 pm

It would be just LXA.png (and LXA.xml etc.). However, LuxAviation does not seem to operate Citation II; LX-GDL is a Cessna Citation XLS (click, I don't know why Airliners.net lists it as Citation II); so this livery cannot be commited to the database...

Sorry :(
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

PreviousNext

Return to Liveries