Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Moving scenery files on hard disk

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Moving scenery files on hard disk

Postby ItsMatt » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:39 pm

Hello,

I like FlightGear so I play it really often and by playing it really often I have a lot of downloaded scenery and addons (around 30G of scenery and about 2G of addons). I am not someone, that knows a whole bunch about tech, but I was wandering if it would be somehow possible to move the scenery files (or rather the entirety of FlightGear) onto a hard disk. I'm on a Windows 10 laptop and using the latest version of FG. I don't know if the game would be able to run properly (it otherwise does). Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas or tips?

Thanks!
ItsMatt

Re: Moving scenery files on hard disk

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:04 am

Manually installed planes, scenery, and addons can be placed anywhere, so simply remove them from the launcher, move them to the HDD, then readd them.

You can also change the directory where the scenery downloader stores things; it's within the Settings tab of the launcher. The directory can be moved.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Re: Moving scenery files on hard disk

Postby ItsMatt » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 am

Thank you very much, I will try that when able (as I am currently quite busy with school and don't have much time). I'll get back to you with feedback ASAP.

Best regards!
ItsMatt

Return to Installation