Board index FlightGear Support Installation

apt.dat unknown problem Nightly 2020.4.0

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: apt.dat unknown problem Nightly 2020.4.0

Postby Chris_DE » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:05 am

Hi, Wkitty,

thanks for the Info.

I had looked at the specs beforehand and had seen within those that the line formats were basically completely different animals.
And I was very much afraid that there was no easy fix for that.

The workaround was just intended to get FG to initialise the Navdata Cache to be able to enter airports again via the launcher's location tab. It was by no way intended or meant to be that "fix" for the old 715 format, sorry if I worded it that way. :oops:

I will test the last nightly today to see whether it does carry one of the newer buildnumbers (4268 or later, as those contain your rollback).
The nightly which was available at 10:18 yesterday should have contained your rollback, but did not. I would not even have attempted to find a workaraound otherwise.

Again, thank you for answering as fast as you did.

Kind regards,

Chris
Chris_DE

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:45 am

FWIW: it isn't my work and rollback... i think it was scott's... i was aware of it because i monitor the dev and commits mailing lists ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Chris_DE » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm

Ah, OK, right, then that was xDraconian (Posting 3 in this thread from Jan 04).

Just for Info:
I tested installing todays nightly [FlightGear2020.4.0-nightly_full.exe 2022-01-13 10:18 1.8G] about 10 Minutes ago.
That still does not give one the current build, but 4248 instead, which still has the issue. (Working builds are 4268 or newer, apparently).
Downloading latest artifacts for FlightGear-Win from the buildserver and overwriting the ones already present in Flightgears bin-directory works, however.

I do not have a Sourceforge-Login, so I cannot put this info within ticket #2691on the bugtracker. But James Turner at least seems to be aware of the issue.

Two questions come to my mind:
Does Flightgear actually use the taxiway definitions in apt.dat.gz? I am curious because if I use e.g. LSZH/Zurich Airport, that does not have correct taxiway lines (or mostly no taxiway lines, and Zurich is one of the airports using that old definition.
Is there a debug console to see what files flightgear does read and where there might be errors/unknonfields etc. when starting a flight? Or do you have to start FG from the commandline for that? -> Sorry, I seem to
be stupid today, as there is literally the "Show debugging console"-slider, which i somehow failed to see..... :? :oops:

Kind regards,

Chris
Chris_DE

Postby miguel » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:27 pm

Good evening mrozigor:
I have downloaded the bin.zip, copied and pasted it into FG and everything works fine again.

miugel thank you very much problem solved
miguel

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:16 pm

Chris_DE wrote in Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm:Ah, OK, right, then that was xDraconian (Posting 3 in this thread from Jan 04).

yep :)

Chris_DE wrote in Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm:I do not have a Sourceforge-Login, so I cannot put this info within ticket #2691on the bugtracker. But James Turner at least seems to be aware of the issue.

getting a SF account is no harder than getting one here... they cost the same, too ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Installation