Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Map in browser

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Map in browser

Postby FoxbatPilot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:06 am

I’m running 3.11 on two machines - Win 10 (downloaded from main download page) and Fedora 35 (downloaded from Fedora). Identical problem with both.

I’m having trouble with Equipment::Map in Browser in both implementations.

Map and Map canvas both work ok and Phi works in general in my browser (FireFox) - I have httpd=8080 set and working fine.

But the Map sub-page on Phi is blank and the SmallMap is just a header line.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
FoxbatPilot

Re: Map in browser

Postby FoxbatPilot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:08 am

I should have said I have NVIDIA cards in both machines, the fedora is using nvidia drivers under X11
FoxbatPilot

Postby MariuszXC » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:32 am

Are you using any javascript blocking extensions for browsers?
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby FoxbatPilot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:52 am

No java blocking...
FoxbatPilot

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:53 pm

FoxbatPilot wrote in Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:06 am:I’m running 3.11 on two machines

please use the entire FG version number when reporting what you are running...
there is no FG v3.11... the last of that type of versioning was v3.6 back in 2015 when the versioning was changed to include the year...
why? because it is possible that you could be running 2016.3.11, 2017.3.11, 2018.3.11, 2019.3.11, or 2020.3.11... of those, everything before 2020.3.11 is EoL and unsupported...

FoxbatPilot wrote in Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:06 am:But the Map sub-page on Phi is blank and the SmallMap is just a header line.

which map provider are you using in Phi? it sounds like your system cannot access their service for some reason... i cannot currently bring my FG up to test and see what the default map provider is... note, too, that i'm speaking of the actual base map layer... not any of the overlays that cover the map...

with that said and while on the subject of the overlays, if you are seeing all grey because of having an overlay enabled, it sounds like the overlay may be using the most current AIROC and your Phi code has not been adjusted to use said current AIROC... if this is the case and you are trying to use the US VFR overlays from VFRMap.com, then

1. look in your $fgdata/Phi/topics/Map.js file...
  2. find the two VFRMap.com blocks...
  3. change the date string in the L.TileLayer URL...
  4. the latest AIROC being used is "20211007"
  5. you can confirm this by

1. going to vfrmap.com,
    2. right click on the map,
    3. click on view page info,
    4. select the media tab,
    5. and look at any of the tile images making up the map...

the next time this happens, you will need to edit the Map.js file to update it, again, to the next current AIROC value... until "we" (TINW) figure out how to easily and programatically determine the current AIROC and recode Map.js to use it automatically, this manual editing will be needed or someone will have to take these manual steps and update the fgdata repository each time...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby FoxbatPilot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:15 am

Thanks wkitty,

Firstly, I'm running 2020.3.11

I've modified the date for the US VFR overlay details as you suggest (though that cannot be my problem - I'm 'flying' in Australia and they don't serve for there - I did try shifting to both the default airport and to the US to see if that resolved the problem, but sadly no.) You're right about the tab being "grey".

I don't know how to find the default map source in Phi (or how to change it) - I have done nothing to modify the installation so far, so I guess I'm trying to run the default map server - can you help with that?
FoxbatPilot

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:23 pm

what airport are you starting at?

what craft?

have you tried using the UFO?

can i assume you are seeing this straight off in Phi and you've not changed any of the default overlays (other than that VFRMap one i pointed out)? i/we need to be able to start off at the same place you are to see what we can see... the only thing we cannot do is be in your physical location to check for infrastructure problems...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby FoxbatPilot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 pm

I’m starting at YCBG (Cambridge, near Hobart, Tasmania) in the standard Cessna 172P Skyhawk (1982).

No changes made, only two switches HUD and http set

Hadn’t tried ufo, now have, same result. Have tried selection of major US airports, most recently SF international, same result.

Phi is working fine - aircraft tab etc shows expected data.
FoxbatPilot

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:07 pm

ok... i'll see if i can test that area tomorrow or over the weekend...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby FoxbatPilot » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:03 am

Many thanx
FoxbatPilot

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm

NOTE: i have disabled the forum's automatic URL parsing in this post... links i have posted will not be clickable...

ok, i've just loaded the UFO into FG at YCBG in Parking_1...
on my other system i have used my firefox to open the link to my FG system's Phi... http://myfgsystem:5500/#Map
i see the map tiles like i should...
i right clicked on one of them just below the town/city of Richmond and selected "View Page Info"...
in that dialog i then selected the "Media" tab and scrolled down until i started seeing the map images...
they are all coming from various openstreetmaps.org servers...
eg:
http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1862/1293.png
http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1863/1293.png
http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1862/1294.png
and so on for all 24 images that make the map at my current resolution, zoom level, and browser view port size...
all of these image files are 256px x 256px...

what browser are you using?
what do you see when you look at the page info for the media files used on the page?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby FoxbatPilot » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:36 am

I'm also using FireFox - latest version for Fedora 35. I'm running the browser on a second screen, same computer, so the page is "http://localhost:8080/#Map"

There are no maptiles on this page for me to click - its just grey. I can reach the maptiles you quoted directly from a new browser window, of course

Here is the pageinfo:
Last edited by FoxbatPilot on Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FoxbatPilot

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:09 am

Sanity check, since you told us the map tiles load when accessed manually: Can you make sure that OpenStreetMap is selected in the layers menu?

If that doesn't fix it, please do the following:
  1. Right click the map and press Inspect
  2. Switch to the Network tab. It might be behind the double arrow.
  3. You should now see a blank list. Now start dragging the map around.
  4. You should now see entries pop up in the list showing tiles being loaded from URLs like the above. Take a screenshot of the list, upload it somewhere (like imgur) then send it here.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby FoxbatPilot » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:05 am

Sorry to be dense, but how do I get to the layers menu?
FoxbatPilot

Postby MariuszXC » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:16 am

I remember your answer about not using any Javascript blocking, but can you try to repeat your test using Help > Troubleshoot Mode option in Firefox?
While in there, check out the result of Help > More Troubleshooting Information (esp. list of installed extensions / add-ons).
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Next

Return to Installation