Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Global scenery single pack download?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Global scenery single pack download?

Postby vatin » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Anywhere to download the global scenery either SD or HD as a single file?
This would be much easier than having to download a couple of hundred single files.

Thanks,
vatin

Re: Global scenery single pack download?

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:29 pm

no there is not... there are hundreds of thousands of files used to make the 90+gigabytes of scenery for the entire world... we won't even mention the hundreds of thousands of directories that holds them all...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby vatin » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:08 am

http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/f ... ery-v2.12/

Are these all the global scenery files? Looks to be in the hundreds not even thousands.
Can’t they be zip together?
vatin

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:20 pm

and??? my response still stands...

[edit]

for giggles and grins, i've taken that page you linked and imported it into a spreadsheet so we could convert all those file sizes to regular numbers and add them together to get the total size of all of those compress archives if they were one huge file...

eg:
3.0M = 3145728
55.0K = 56320

after writing a formula to convert all the numbers, we then have another cell which adds them all together... the result is 13167256883 which is 13GB... do you really want to download one 13GB file and take the chance that it is not corrupted somehow? let's also consider the storage requirements on the server along with the cost of that storage and the cost to transmit it... then there's the problem of extracting one 13GB file into hundreds of thousands of files and directories... we don't know what the compression ratio is but we (myself and others working with FG) know that the entire world scenery is well over 90GB in size when uncompressed...

the spreadsheet can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZYdnEb1qwsRIWuPg2nGFBt7AAHW09_YlF6e7X_60Y2E/edit?usp=sharing
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:25 pm

We highly discourage to download the entire world if you don't have a good reason for it, because in the end somebody is paying for server hosting and this cost will grow too large when hundreds of people start to download multiple gigabytes of scenery they'll never use. Terrasync is a great tool to keep up to date with the scenery. You don't need to worry about it and you keep some drive space available for e.g. your music collection.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby vatin » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:33 pm

Isaak wrote in Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:25 pm:We highly discourage to download the entire world if you don't have a good reason for it, because in the end somebody is paying for server hosting and this cost will grow too large when hundreds of people start to download multiple gigabytes of scenery they'll never use. Terrasync is a great tool to keep up to date with the scenery. You don't need to worry about it and you keep some drive space available for e.g. your music collection.

Point taken. Understood. This sums it all.
13 GB download is definitely not extraordinary by today's standards.
Definitely use BitTorrent to reduce cost.
vatin

Return to Installation