Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Airports

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Airports

Postby TwistTornado » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:47 pm

How do I get higher quality airports into my game? I am using TerraSync and the airport that I usually spawn at (KORD O'hare International) is only a basic, 3D shape with no detail whatsoever. How can I get detailed airports and animated jetways and such?
I'm running FlightGear on a macOS Mojave, and am running the latest stable release of FlightGear. I also have an AMD Radeon Pro 555 if that matters.
TwistTornado

Re: Airports

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:37 am

someone would need to develop the buildings around the area... it is possible that the OSM scenery will fill it in a lot for you IF your machine can handle OSM and all its buildings... you can try it in the in-sim F10->Rendering->Rendering options settings... right hand side, i think... there's a drop for buildings where you can select OSM... i cannot check my install at the moment to give better instructions...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: Airports

Postby Johan G » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 am

Pretty much all airport buildings in FlightGear have been added manually to the airports that have them. Problem is that there are about 20000 airports in the world.

What you could relatively easily do is add generic buildings using the UFO, but best of course would be modeling the airport buildings in for example Blender and add those.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Installation