Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FG always on the second monitor  Topic is solved

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG always on the second monitor

Postby miroi » Fri May 07, 2021 9:46 pm

Hello,

I have two screens on my Windows10 PC. With recent installed FG it always launches the game on the second screen, which is secondary, and I do not know how to move this window with game to the primary monitor.

Any help is appreciated.

Miro
miroi

Re: FG always on the second monitor  

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 pm

you should be able to just drag it over to the other screen... if it is in full-screen mode, switch to windowed mode and then drag it over...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby miroi » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:38 am

Hi,

the reason why FG opens In the second, smaller monitor is that the graphics card assigns number 1 to the smaller monitor and FG always opens there- Manually on Win10 I can not transfer the FG to the larger minitor number 2, maybe I am missing something...
miroi

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:42 am

are you telling us that you cannot drag a window from one monitor to another monitor?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 pm

No, he mean that he can not declare the other monitor as display 1.
I would try to change the connection of the displays on the graphic card.
Looks like the numbering of the connection ports on the card are fixed by the driver or OS.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 am

WoodSTokk wrote in Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 pm:No, he mean that he can not declare the other monitor as display 1.

that shouldn't matter... what matters is which one is declared as primary... assuming that windows has that capability like linux does... on my gaming system, my 2nd monitor (1920x1080) is the primary in the current configuration... my 1st monitor (4k) is secondary... if/when i add a 3rd (1080) monitor, it will become tertiary unless i can also designate the ordering of my 4k... i haven't had a three monitor setup so i don't yet know how that works but it shouldn't matter in this case...

WoodSTokk wrote in Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 pm:I would try to change the connection of the displays on the graphic card.

that would only work if the connection type is the same... both HDMI or both DPI or both VGA... or if the monitors have multiple connection types...
in my case, i have HDMI and DPI and cannot just switch which connector my monitors are plugged into because one of my monitors is HDMI only my GPU has only one HDMI port on it...

WoodSTokk wrote in Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 pm:Looks like the numbering of the connection ports on the card are fixed by the driver or OS.

yep... i agree... it might also have to do with a BIOS setting of which one to init first...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:55 pm

DVI, DP and HDMI serve all the same signals, expect that HDMI has also audio, but for video they have the exact same signals.
Therefor passive connection changer are very cheap, so the connection doesnt matter.
We dont know how the displays are connected, maybe he has one display on a dedicated graphic card and one on the onboard graphic.
Then maybe the BIOS setting can change the primary display.
But it can also be that both displays are on a dedicated graphic card and the driver is to stupid to set the primary display.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Return to Installation