Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FG 2020.3.8 SmartScreen

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG 2020.3.8 SmartScreen

Postby Koronawirusex » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:02 pm

I have downloaded an FG 2020.3.8 binary for Windows and when I try to open the file, it displays SmartScreen security warning.

Has been a virus smuggled to source code of the program?
Koronawirusex

Re: FG 2020.3.8 SmartScreen

Postby zakalawe » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:32 am

No, we always get the smartScreen warning unfortunately, because the .exe is not code-signed. Unfortunately code-signing certificates cost real money, so there is no way around this as far as i know. (for macOS I pay for the Apple account, but for Windows it's more money each year than I can spare...)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Koronawirusex » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:56 pm

zakalawe wrote in Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:32 am:No, we always get the smartScreen warning unfortunately, because the .exe is not code-signed. Unfortunately code-signing certificates cost real money, so there is no way around this as far as i know. (for macOS I pay for the Apple account, but for Windows it's more money each year than I can spare...)

OK, I have managed it to install by opening Properties window and selecting Unlock. It works, but please add a warning and upload to something like VirusTotal.
Koronawirusex

Postby Robertfm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

I have opened version the morning (having been using it since released) and this morning it starts as though it's a new version added to which it has wiped all my additional settings. How can I recover them. This has never happened before.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Return to Installation