Board index FlightGear Support Installation

dyslexic facing multiple problems

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

dyslexic facing multiple problems

Postby limpingwrench » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:21 pm

i cannot get this flight simulator off the ground.

this is turning out to be nothing more than an exercise in frustration.
i am trying to fly multi engine aircraft. i can't see the tachometers, or any other engine instruments, i can't see the props. i have no way of telling if any more than one of my engines are running. the on site search engine is worthless. it has never brought me to anything that was any help.
at this point, i am convinced this software is worthless shit.
i regret every second of the time i have wasted on it.

i had intended to install it onto my newest, most powerful computer which is running Linux, but that machine has no web connection. i am waiting on help to get it installed there. (i have programing experience in DOS, FORTRAN, and Basic. none in Linux)
in the meantime, i installed it on my old Dell Latitude E6400 running Windows 7. i thought i had it working, but the next time i attempted to use it, 4 of the 6 aircraft i had added were gone. i have no access to the other two.
i cannot get out of the Cessna it opens to.
i cannot see anything obvious wrong in the file structure.
please DO NOT refer me to the manual. it is Dyslexic unfriendly in the extreme.
what i want to do is use the Flight Gear simulator to learn whatever it can teach me about amphibious aircraft takeoffs and landings. if there is no way i can do that with a Linux machine that is not connected to the web, please let me know. if that is the case, i can stop wasting my time.
(then i can go back to easy stuff; particle physics, quantum mechanics, Relativity, unification, and if i want something really easy, rocket science.)
Last edited by limpingwrench on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
limpingwrench

Re: dyslexic facing multiple problems

Postby The epic chicken » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 pm

you can get craft on your linux machine by downloading on your old pc with win 7 then transfering via usb
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:19 am

Right, you must have used one method to get data from your web PC to the other one that isn't connected to the internet - use the same method to also download/copy the corresponding aircraft to the other PC.

"Installing" an aircraft is not difficult at all, since all that entails is extracting the zipped (compressed) file - either inside your base package ($FG_ROOT/Aircraft) or into a separate location, and telling FlightGear during startup where to look for that aircraft.

Either way, don't worray about being dyslexic - there are hundreds of users in this community from all around the world, some of whom would not even be able to put together a postings like the one you posted above.

We also have people who regularly create/upload FlightGear related video tutorials - and if something is missing, this community can usually responding within a couple of days/weeks to create new instructional videos on demand (and who knows, you being dyslexic might even be in a good position to help with creating such tailored videos?).

For instance, here's a video demonstrating how to use the launcher on a PC that's connected to the internet (a similar video could be created without using the launcher and without using an internet connection):

https://wiki.flightgear.org/Base_package
https://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_ROOT
https://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Install_aircraft
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby limpingwrench » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Well, i have it running in the windows machine, i think. but some things make no sense to me.
after adding a specific aircraft three times (Boeing 314) it finally decided to say available. for the moment. others i had to add twice. i have all the other aircraft i wish to study loaded, and they have remained there, so far.
i have the installation file loaded into my Linux machine, but i can't find the command to run it. an engineering friend has offered to print a Linux manual for me. i hope that helps. (she knows i need large print)
other than that, i can't find a way to look at the tachometers for the engines. makes it a bit difficult to set takeoff RPM on the big round motors.
is there anyone out there who can help me with that? i can't even tell how many engines i have running on the multi-engine machines.
limpingwrench

Postby limpingwrench » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 am

here is what i did to attempt to get the simulator on my Linux computer;
with my windows machine, i downloaded the .AppImage file onto an external hard drive.
i made a Flight Simulator directory on my Linux system.
the instruction i found on the web stated that i needed to make it executable. i did that.
the instructions further stated it would run through the GUI if i double clicked on it.
that did not work.
i went into the command line mode, found the directory with the file in it. changed into that directory, carefully copied the complete name of the .AppImage file after the ./ i was told was the execution instruction, and no execution.
i got an error message that the file or directory wasn't found.
i carefully checked that i had copied the complete file name correctly.
i found no typographical errors.
i checked the note i had on executing a file and, in spite of finding no errors in what i had alredy done, i tried again.
and got the same error message.
limpingwrench

Postby limpingwrench » Wed May 05, 2021 11:20 pm

The epic chicken wrote in Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 pm:you can get craft on your linux machine by downloading on your old pc with win 7 then transfering via usb

no, i can't.
it does not work
limpingwrench

Postby Dogers » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm

Greetings to everyone.

For the appimage problem, I just answered you on your other topic :

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39130&p=385655#p385655

I hope it can help.
Scenery contributions :

LFVM - LFVP - FMEE - FMCZ
Dogers