Board index FlightGear Support Installation

how to get that really nice screenshot of the month scenery

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

how to get that really nice screenshot of the month scenery

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:23 am

I saw some amazing images in the screenshot of the month section and in particular saw that of the Tigerair aircraft approaching 16R in Sydney and love the look of the city in it - how do i get this if i may ask.
Is this the street data? i select that option in the render settings but everything just still looks like "randomly generated" FS 2002 era scenery

also i read mention of some beautiful user made scenery that can be downloaded, where can one find htis? in the scenery section o fthe FG website everything is just all in indvidual components - i am assumign there are some 3rd party scenery packages - free or purchasable either way i am interested
agathosdaimon

Re: how to get that really nice screenshot of the month scen

Postby pb321 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:01 am

This link should get you started and the page you're taken to includes a link to the Australia project which may get you exactly what you want.FlightGear is open source so everything is developed by volunteers. http://wiki.flightgear.org/Suggested_custom_scenery
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:36 am

thanks - i was mistakenly thinking i was looking at imagery in those screenshots that comes from the open street data option but now understand that is not the case. The stock default scenery isnt all that bad and overall i i really like the graphics of FG,
agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:51 am

i have gone to that aus project and gotten the files from github but there is no info what i need to do with teh Data, Shader and Recipe folders - sorry i dont know who to ask aboutt his, as the instructions dont say anything about these folders
agathosdaimon

Postby Michat » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:19 am

Hi.
https://www.fgau.org/scenery-packages/a ... 1iLl1fXL5L has several download links to get the packages you need (all).

Just in the first dowload link you get a package, including readme file, that says:
<= INSTALLATION =>
To install, rename fgau-aus-master as FGAU-Aus, then place the FGAU-Aus folder into your FlightGear/Custom Scenery directory. Then, add this directory as an addon within the FlightGear launcher, or point to it via command line options.

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:17 am

thanks this is great - however can you tell me what do i do with the 423mb sydney region download as it is just a folder titled NSW - where does this go?
agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 am

also - i dont have a flightgear/custom scenery folder - do i just make one, and do i add the custom scenery folder in flightgear or do i add just the FG-Aus folder within it?
agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:28 am

okay i think i put everything in the right spot however Sydney CBD looks quite bizarre- strangely elevated roads and no harbour bridge, opera house or Telstra tower

is this right? or did i do something wrong?

agathosdaimon

Postby Johan G » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 am:[...] i dont have a flightgear/custom scenery folder - do i just make one, and do i add the custom scenery folder in flightgear [...]

Yep. That is the way to do it. You add the custom scenery folder in the Additional scenery folders section of the Add-ons page of the launcher.
agathosdaimon wrote in Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 am:[...] do i add just the FG-Aus folder within it?

Nope. That would likely either mess up TerraSync, or later be overwritten by TerraSync.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:48 pm

okay so what do i do then? i do go and add the individual folders - for NSW one i had to gointo that folder because inside the folder is another folder OUtput and i have to go into tat to get to teh terrain

urrgh - sorry but there are gaps in all the installation instructions i come across so i am trying to figure out these myself

could you help me?

do i just at the custom scenery folder on teh whole?

- actually the instructions at the Australia Scenery Project page would suggest i do make individual folders as addons rather than the whole custom scenery folder - they state to remove the label master from the FGAU-AUS folder and put it in the custom scenery folder, - which though will not work if i just add the custom scenery folder entirely as it flags up the error that the folder doesnt contain the expected sub folders - also if i was to empty the contents of the fgau-aus folder just into teh custom scenery folder and not in its in subfolder, then what is the point of having to remove the term 'master' from the FGAU-aus-master folder as it would not be relevant in any case as its contents would be removed
agathosdaimon

Postby frtps » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:28 am

agathosdaimon wrote in Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:48 pm:okay so what do i do then? i do go and add the individual folders - for NSW one i had to gointo that folder because inside the folder is another folder OUtput and i have to go into tat to get to teh terrain

urrgh - sorry but there are gaps in all the installation instructions i come across so i am trying to figure out these myself

could you help me?

do i just at the custom scenery folder on teh whole?

Sorry that our installation instructions are not as good as they could be. Basically you can unpack the scenery absolutely wherever you want (but not anywhere it would overwrite things you want to keep), and then tell FlightGear the name of the directory that contains the scenery: in this case it will be the full path to the directory named 'Output', so for example 'C:/Whatever/Stuff/FG-AU/CustomScenery/NSW/Output' (depending on where you unpacked it of course).

agathosdaimon wrote in Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:28 am:okay i think i put everything in the right spot however Sydney CBD looks quite bizarre- strangely elevated roads and no harbour bridge, opera house or Telstra tower

is this right? or did i do something wrong?

That looks about right. Nobody has created the Sydney Harbour Bridge, feel free to have a go. The opera house should be there, but that must be downloaded separately, from the normal flightgear 'Scenery' server. Note the two uses of the word 'Scenery'. In FG it tends to mean 'objects placed on the ground' but it can also sometimes mean 'the terrain'. What you've downloaded from FG-AU is just the terrain.

The funny elevated roads are just what the osm2city tool generates (not sure where the buildings went to, they should also be there somewhere). Obviously the close-up scenery is not that good, but it is a lot better than the default flightgear scenery. Go and check out the cliffs as you fly south from Sydney!
frtps

Postby agathosdaimon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:38 am

thanks for yuor reply - i would like to get the opera house - and is the telstra tower possible too ? if not that s fine, i where can one download the opera house?

however the other problem i found is that there are big black areas around every airport after i installed the scenery, this just looks unpleasant especially if approaching an airfield from a distance - this seems to come up when i use the Materials.xml that you provide in the scenery materials for the ASP - if i switch back to the defaul file then the black disappears but then i lose everything esle too
agathosdaimon

Return to Installation