Board index FlightGear Support Installation

how do i install scenery from a dvd

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

how do i install scenery from a dvd

Postby agathosdaimon » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Hi! I got some flightgear scenery on dvds (i like to have content on disc) and the instructions i received are to use teh FG Admin wizard, however i cant find this program in my FG start menu folder. I have version 2020.3.6 installed. How do i install custom scenery in this offline form?
agathosdaimon

Re: how do i install scenery from a dvd

Postby Johan G » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm

I think FG Admin Wizard unfortunately might be quite obsolete. I do not find it in my installation either (FlightGear 2020.3.4).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby agathosdaimon » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:32 pm

thanks for your reply - oh okay, must be old instructions, the scenery content was from 2019 i suppose.

I see though that if i just extract the files to a custom scenery folder i can make it an addon in FG and that picks up the scenery so problem solved fortunately.
agathosdaimon

Postby Johan G » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:07 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:32 pm:I see though that if i just extract the files to a custom scenery folder i can make it an addon in FG and that picks up the scenery so problem solved fortunately.

Great! Enjoy! :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am

hi, sorry it looks like i actually do need so major help with this

i have extracted files to a "custom scenery" folder - took a few days to do, - i have added the folder in flightgear, but the scenery seems very lacking in that all the airports are missing buildings, - i wanted to just do it all offline, so got one of those 8 disc sets for flightgear on ebay - there are 3 dvds of scenery. the version of flight gear that came is version 2019.1.1, however i just got version 2020.3.5 installed the other day and now installed 2020.3.6 over the top of it - is this the right thing to do?

also is Bombable compatible with the latest version of FG still, i added it also
agathosdaimon

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 am

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am:[...] the scenery seems very lacking in that all the airports are missing buildings [...]

Relatively few airports have buildings. That is because buildings have to be added manually to each airport, but the FlightGear scenery contain about 20,000 airports.

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am:the version of flight gear that came is version 2019.1.1, however i just got version 2020.3.5 installed the other day and now installed 2020.3.6 over the top of it - is this the right thing to do?

As far as I know, that should not be a problem.

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am:[...] is Bombable compatible with the latest version of FG still, i added it also

As far as I know there have been very little development on it for about half a decade. You could always try it though.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 pm

thanks for the reply, though i was noticing that airports which i know have scenery were lacking such - eg Melbourne YMML. I thought that maybe flightgear had some generic buildings perhaps in place for where more detailed user made ones were missing
agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:02 pm

can you tell me whether for Canberra airport, australia there are an buildings for it, as these were also lacking for me and the aircraft were all parked in forests
agathosdaimon

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 pm

In the current TerraSync scenery there are unfortunately still no buildings. However, there are aprons, markings, and all but a few taxiways (as far as I can tell).

Edit: I was going to add some links to custom 3rd party scenery but from a brief look at the repositories it looks like those mostly have few airports developed as well. In case you would want to have a look and download the possibly heavy archives, there is this topic, and FlightGear Australia website, which seem to have more recent development of what by the looks of the screenshots is the same scenery.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:04 pm

okay i dont understand - some airports that load do have buildings like Frankfurt am Main, - does Boston Logan intl have buildings yet?

also i just decided to try Heathrow instead and its just water and my plane starts in the water and then explodes and is on fire -
agathosdaimon

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Unfortunately starting in water usually indicates that scenery either is not downloaded or that there is some similar issue, like the file structure. :(
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:21 pm

okay - i had to restart FG a few times, but the scenery is there now - however the 737 i chose to fly seems to be missing its model?
unfortunately i cant attach an image, but my plane looks like a wooden toy plane that looks like some placeholder for the model - are some aircraft not compaitible with the current FG version?
agathosdaimon

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:35 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:21 pm:okay - i had to restart FG a few times, but the scenery is there now

Great! :)

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:21 pm:however the 737 i chose to fly seems to be missing its model?
unfortunately i cant attach an image, but my plane looks like a wooden toy plane that looks like some placeholder for the model - are some aircraft not compaitible with the current FG version?

I would guess that would be the "infamous glider", a boxy yellow aircraft with blue wings, indeed a placeholder for a missing model. That usually indicates some issue with the file structure, usually that you have downloaded an aircraft from a GitHub but have not removed the "-master" part of the directory name after extracting the Zip file.

Regarding screenshots, this post might be of help: FAQ: Screenshots.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby agathosdaimon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:47 am

that explains it - it did put aircraft folders in which have -master appended to them
agathosdaimon

Postby Michat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:35 am

Johan G, with so many accurate answers, I'm going to end up being your follower.

Here's my Like it.

29.92 :arrow: :| :mrgreen:
Michat

Version: 191b

Next

Return to Installation