Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Cannot start new installation.

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Cannot start new installation.

Postby peterg1000 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm

Hi,
Just installed Flight Gear for the first time, but cannot run because I get a message "F:\FlightGear2020.3.5\bin\fgfx.exe is not a valid win32 application"

I've downloaded twice and installed 3 times but get the same error each time.

Operating system is WinXP home 32 bit with an Athlon 64 cpu. with 2 GB ram.

Is there a solution to this ?? Really hope so!!
peterg1000

Re: Cannot start new installation.

Postby danielHL » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Hi,

the download page states that the current versions of FlightGear are only working on Windows Versions 7, 8 and 10. WinXP is end of life.

It may be possible for you to find older versions of FG on sourceforge, but I would highly recommend an OS upgrade.

Cheers,
Daniel
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby peterg1000 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm

Daniel,

Thanks for that info - I was afraid that was the case!!

It's an old computer that I don't really want to upgrade as eventually I'm going to build a dedicated Win7 system just for FS (I hate Win10 with a passion!!). I guess many of the earlier revisions will work on XP so I can get a preview of the sim. Any idea which revision might work with XP.

Late edit - no joy with a download of earlier revision, but have located a set of DVD of 2018 vintage!!

Cheers,
Peter
peterg1000

Postby tom_nl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Just a thought - how about adding a linux install to the XP system and dual booting to test it? An Athlon 64 is perfectly capable of running linux, even a recent distribution, and for FG you could install a very lightweight one (Xubuntu or similar - i'm doing exactly that here, though admittedly not running FG on the system in question). And for a new system, if it's going to be solely for FG, it will save the cost of a windows 7 licence plus be a OS that's still supported and updated.

Tom
tom_nl

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 pm

peterg1000 wrote in Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm:Late edit - no joy with a download of earlier revision, but have located a set of DVD of 2018 vintage!!

if you buy, buy from the official flightgear store and maybe explain what you are looking for so they understand why you need an older version... there are others out there selling FG but we cannot support it because we do not know what they may have done when building it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby peterg1000 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi Tom,

Well there's a thought - must admit I've never ventured into Linux land, so that would be an adventure to be savoured!! It should keep me out of mischief for a day or three. Thanks for the guidance

I'll see what those DVD's turn up with first because I already have a spare Win7 COA.

Peter
peterg1000

Postby peterg1000 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 am

Hi,
Still unable to get an earlier XP compatible version, so I installed on a Dell E6530 laptop with Win10 as a trial, fully expecting really abyssmal frame rates. Surprisingly the result wasn't as bad as I had expected and I was eventually able to get the Cessna airborne. Using the keyboard was awful, but having flown gliders for more than 1000hours I was able to get a taste of the experience - enough to encourage me to move forward and start to design the system.
peterg1000

Return to Installation