Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Missing Airport Parking Option

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Missing Airport Parking Option

Postby TryingToHaveFun2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:58 am

Hi all!
Love Flightgear! Just upgraded to the latest version and copied my Scenery folder from the older version to the newer version including all Terrain and Objects for the world being careful not to write over the starting airport update.
These were originally tediously downloaded and installed from the manual map some time ago.

I've always started from a parking position to enjoy the ride to the runway, but the Parking option radio button and associated parking area selection seems to be missing. The Location map only has the Starting Runway option.
I noticed the new Starting airport that comes with the new version has the parking option, but now other airports do not. And the previously displayed parking areas displayed for other airports are missing from the top down view.
Ex: KEWR and KBWI.

Have I made an installation error with the new version?
I copied the old folder to the new download location as was instructed on first start up and then deleted the old folder. But I doubt this had anything to do with it....I hope.

Any help to restore the parking option as the start place at an airport in the new version (3.5) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
TryingToHaveFun2

Re: Missing Airport Parking Option

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:16 am

I noticed that as well when I updated (though it might have been a few versions ago). Not sure why it happened, but a good way to get them back is by installing this: https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-SCENERY/Airports into your custom scenery folder and then telling FlightGear about it. It also adds some more jetways and a ton more parking positions. As for the default scenery, I don't know why the parking doesn't show up anymore.
Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Postby TryingToHaveFun2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:15 am

Thank you for the advice, however, this is not working for me (of course unless I installed it incorrectly or my additional option is not working.)

Still looking for advice or correction to this issue.

Thanks again.
TryingToHaveFun2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Please don't use that : see the FGMEMBERS statement at

https://home.flightgear.org/info/fgmembers-statement

copied my Scenery folder from the older version to the newer version including all Terrain and Objects for the world being careful not to write over the starting airport update.
These were originally tediously downloaded and installed from the manual map some time ago.

The /Airports/ folder contains these datas -- it looks like you are missing that. Without downloading it in some way you'll not be able to have them.
Turning on automatic scenery download should restore your parking positions. In addition its much less tedious :mrgreen:
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby TryingToHaveFun2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:05 pm

So, I had deleted the initial suggested fix.

My question now becomes, was the airport parking option, gates, parking area selections, etc. deleted from this version of Flightgear?
I do not use Terrasync because of generally lousy internet speed.
I have all the download scenery for the world and used it successfully in previous versions, I should be able to use it.
(I never installed the 3.1 version, so I don't know what took place with that.)

There are several "Airports" and "Airport" directories and files in Flightgear. I would have no idea where the missing Airport parking data is.
As far as I can tell, only the new starting airports have the parking option and parking locations shown on the top-down view in the "Location" menu option once an airport is selected.

Still looking for a solution.
If it is a matter of uninstalling and re-installing, I'll do that, but I shouldn't have to.
TryingToHaveFun2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:09 pm

For now you'd probably need to just turn on automatic scenery download and allow it to download the Airport files. Then, you could also copy the /Airports/ folder from TerraSync to your other scenery.

Essentially, to conserve installer size and reduce installation time the Airports data was moved to TerraSync.

In an upcoming version the Airports data will be provided by .tgz file in the installer (much smaller) and automatically extracted the first time you run flightgear after installing, without compromising the installation time.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:51 pm

I think some absolute paths are the problem.

The flightgear.ini file include absolute paths. Delete or rename it.
FG will create a new one with the current paths.

Also the navdata-<FG-version>.cache include absolute paths.
Delete or rename it and FG will automatically rebuild it at next start up.

If you look inside your TerraSync directory, you will find a file named .dirhash.
That include hashes about all files and directories in there. You will also find this files in every directory further down.
Inside this files, all directories and files are referred to with absolute paths.
So, if your username on the old computer was 'foo', in the hash-files all entries start with '/home/foo/'.
If you copy the whole TerraSync over to another computer where the user has a differenet name, the hashes are all invalid.
But as far as i know, this files are only relevant if you have TerraSync enabled.
You can try to delete all .dirhash files inside of the TerraSync directory and bellow.
This files will be created automatically by FG, no download needed.

Have not tested, but absolute paths can clearly be the problem.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby TryingToHaveFun2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:34 pm

Thank you for the above replies.
I have not used Terrasync since my very first installation a couple years ago. When it did not work for me, I abandoned it, deleted everything and reinstalled. Then downloaded each map piece until I had the whole world.

I may give Terrasync another try. I have a much faster new computer, but I am suspect of my online transfer rate.

I'll also look into the suggested built in static paths. At worst, if I mess it up I'll just re-install.

But based on some of the comments, it sounds like the airport data was temporarily moved solely through Terrasync.
I can get to any airport, I just don't have the option to start at a parked location.

Ok, off to try a few more things.

Let me know if there are any other thoughts.
TryingToHaveFun2

Postby TryingToHaveFun2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Success!! (I think).

Following legoboyvdllp's suggestion, I turned on Terrasync and started FG. I let it sit for a bit and then exited.
When I went to the Terrasync folder, there was the Airports folder.

I copied it to the Scenery folder overlaying the old folder but not copying the existing files in order to preserve the new updates.

Started FG and the "Location" menu now has the Parking option and the parking spaces are now again visible for my chosen starting airport.

Thank you legoboyvdllp!
Much appreciated!!

Best
TryingToHaveFun2

Return to Installation