Board index FlightGear Support Installation

TerraSync on another drive??

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

TerraSync on another drive??

Postby NeillEvans » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi.

Is it possible to set the TerraSync folder to another hard drive (internal or external)? I tried to do it with an external USB drive (by changing from the default /home/username/.fgfs folder to /home/username/media/harddrivepartition), but it failed to load scenery ("too much errors"). I'm trying this because I want to install a SSD from where to launch the OS and programs, but keeping a folder like TerraSync, which is write-intensive, in a HDD (possibly the original one).
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Tiappvalley tutuapp tweakbox
Last edited by NeillEvans on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeillEvans

Re: TerraSync on another drive??

Postby benih » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:13 pm

I symlinked my .fgfs in a shared directory to share the data between two users.
Technically that’s the same device, but from this hidden to fgfs by the Linux Kernel.

What you experience is probably the usb protocol, i had issues with that long ago.
Attach the ssd with e-sata.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Re: TerraSync on another drive??

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:18 pm

yes, it is quite possible to set terrasync to a different location... i do exactly this on my setup...
eg:
Code: Select all
--terrasync-dir=/home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery

i am curious, tho, why the OP thinks terrasync is "write intensive"... it really isn't... only during initial downloading of tiles that do not already exist, may one consider this aspect but once downloaded, there's no other downloading or writing done unless a tile has been updated... that's pretty infrequently...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation