Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Unable to install P-51 aircraft

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Unable to install P-51 aircraft

Postby jackhulk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:39 pm

Hello

I'm trying to install the 'North American Aviation P-51D-25-NA' via download, however once the download has completed, there is a blue 'Update' button which when pressed gives error message...

"An error occurred installing the aircraft North American Aviation P-51D-25-NA: Package could not be extracted".

I also tried downloading the zip file and installing manually, but the same error occurs.

Any idea how I can get this installed please?

Thank you
jackhulk

Re: Unable to install P-51 aircraft

Postby Johan G » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am

Do you install it from the GUI or do you download it from a website?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby jackhulk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:49 am

I tried both. First from the GUI, and then from website and manual install. Both ways however produce the same result. Try it and you'll see (unless it's just me??).
Last edited by jackhulk on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackhulk

Postby rforce100 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Same problem here installing the P-51 aircraft. No issues with any other. I'm running Linux Mint 19.2 with a Nvidia graphics card GeForce GTX 960 I installed the newest version of Flightgear, which is awesome, except for the one issue.
rforce100

Postby bugman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:44 pm

Do you have enough hard disk space for it? This is one of the larger sized aircraft packages.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby jlholmqu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 pm

I also have the same problem installing the P-51 and I have plenty of hard disk space.
jlholmqu

Postby martajacobs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:01 am

I am having the same issue like yours.
Last edited by martajacobs on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
martajacobs

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:52 am

Yes, it has issues installing using the QT installation method. This needs to be reported to the developers mailing list.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:39 pm

the problem is being looked into a few days back... not sure of the status on it, though... are there any bug reports on the issue tracker for it so it stays visible to the devs?

do those users having this problem use UTF-8 characters in their username on their system? this is one of the possible problematic areas as FG moves more into supporting UTF-8... more information about this is needed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby jlholmqu » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:44 am

I downloaded and unzipped the P-51 zip file into a P51d folder. I then copied the folder to \Program Files\FlightGear 2019.1.2\data\Aircraft. After that I was able to get the P-51 to load and run.
jlholmqu

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:10 pm

you really should not be putting manually downloaded craft into the global data/Aircraft directory... they should be going into your user's area but i'm not sure what that dir is on a windows box... it used to be in the (hidden) %appdata% directory but i think it has been switched to the user's Documents directory... that's where the launcher will put them when it is used to download the craft archives...

the reason for not manually polluting the global install directory is because if you uninstall FG to install a newer version, you'll likely lose the craft you've manually placed in there...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby jlholmqu » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:25 am

I'd already tried manually adding the folder to \Documents\FlightGear\Aircraft\Aircraft, but still had the original problem. I didn't try adding it to 'AppData', but found p51d-jsbsim.xml dated the same as the folder in ...\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\aircraft-data. I passed this along because it worked for me as an interim solution until a permanent fix comes out. I'll worry about what happens when I upgrade FlightGear when that happens.
jlholmqu

Return to Installation